Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be ordering a pulley & tune soon. I own a auto repair shop here with many tools and a whole bunch of pullers/installers. Has anyone pulled the pulley without having to use the tool? What about installation? i'd rather not get the tool since i already have about 20k worth of tools here but at the same time I dont want to get caught screwing up the pulley trying to install it. Taking off the old one i'm not too worried about, installing this new one without screwing it up I am haha

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
You will need the proper puller-If not damage will occur.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've seen some messes on one forum or another. Just think, you might mess up the snout. Then you've got a real problem. Get the VMP pulley puller and you won't need a toaster oven.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The VMP puller is what I recommend. It actually clamps around the pulley, and pulls on the belt ribs, not on the outside of the pulley. When I pulled mine, it was really tight. There was actually a pop when it first moved. Pulling from the outside of the pulley would have definitely bent the pulley, and at the rpm the pulley rotates, it would not be acceptable. It would be worth it to buy it, then sell it after you are done, if it is a one time use tool for you. There are plenty of folks always looking for one. You might also place a WTB in the classifieds below. Maybe someone would be interested to sell theirs. I used mine and sold it. Good luck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have one for sale. It is the good kind that wont bend your pulley. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The VMP puller is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Another vote for VMP...

·
Premium Member
2010 GT 500
245 Posts
50K car....3-5K supercharger (depending on what you replace it with..) 130 bucks for the VMP puller....easy decision... :)

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
wenger828,
If you're working on your own car, a Sawzall and a large hammer should get the job done. If you're talking about a customer's car, please consider the VMP pulley puller! :silly:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha, ok i guess i'll be purchasing the puller. Its just discouraging because I have about $1000+ invested in snap-on pullers & installers that just don't seem to work with this pulley and will probably screw it up.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
haha, ok i guess i'll be purchasing the puller. Its just discouraging because I have about $1000+ invested in snap-on pullers & installers that just don't seem to work with this pulley and will probably screw it up.
Well on the bright side now you'll have about $1139 invested in your pulley remover tools, and you can always post it up for sale on here when your done with it and someone will buy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found the best way is with a press. Pull the nose off and service the blower while your at it. You can use common tools that are used on a press. About 30 min job. Not even a scratch on the blower or pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Does anyone know why Ford made the supercharger quieter? How do I make the supercharger louder?
smaller pulley, tune, resonator delete, and if thats not enough then port the blower...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting my JLT carbon fiber intake tube really made the s/c alot louder. I'll do a before & after vid after I install my pulley & tune

·
Registered
39 Posts
VMP pulley tool, made the job very easy. After I was done I couldn't imagine swapping out a pulley without the VMP tool.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
Do u still have the removal Polly tool lmk I need one before I buy a new one
The member you quoted hasn’t been here in 7 years. Please start a new thread versus reviving old ones. This one is now closed due to age. If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.