Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you lucky enough to have received your new beast, I’d like to find out what your experience has been driving in the rain. I currently drive a 2015 Cadillac CTS-V. I drive this car every week day and I trust it all the time but especially in the rain. In the rain, I can drive it 75 when others are doing 45 and I don’t feel one ounce of fear or hesitation. Yes, I realize that the GT500 has 200 more hp than my Cadillac, and that does make a difference. I am just asking if while driving the RECOMMENDED speed limit, in Texas style rain, will I regret...at that moment...not having my trusty Cadillac? Yes, I realize the driver has a lot to do with that also, so..let’s pretend I don’t drive like a girly girl and that I’ve been driving race cars since before I had a driver’s license because my Dad was a race car driver and even named me after his boss man.... Oh wait, we don’t have to pretend because that’s all true. I can drive with and around the best of them. Doesn’t matter the surface. So, driver ability is a non-issue.

The GT500 will be my daily driver. So, please give my your thoughts as to how your car handles in the rain.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
First off, I doubt if any of our forum members who are lucky enough to have a 2020 GT500 will be driving the cars in the rain in the near future unless they are caught in a surprise downpour. That said, the GT350 is very similar, if not practically the same, in it's suspension parameters, as the new GT500. I have a GT350 and it does a masterful job of dealing with light to heavy rain. It is far more planted then my past 2013 GT500. Much of this is predicated on the tires that are on the car in question. I had the stock MPS Cup2 tires on my 2019 GT350 and they were surprisingly competent when I was caught in the rain. I now have the Michelin A/S 3 all season tires on my car and it is very competent in the rain. So I think you will find the 2020 GT500 will be just as capable as your current Cadillac CTS-V. I hope this allays your concerns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, I doubt if any of our forum members who are lucky enough to have a 2020 GT500 will be driving the cars in the rain in the near future unless they are caught in a surprise downpour. That said, the GT350 is very similar, if not practically the same, in it's suspension parameters, as the new GT500. I have a GT350 and it does a masterful job of dealing with light to heavy rain. It is far more planted then my past 2013 GT500. Much of this is predicated on the tires that are on the car in question. I had the stock MPS Cup2 tires on my 2019 GT350 and they were surprisingly competent when I was caught in the rain. I now have the Michelin A/S 3 all season tires on my car and it is very competent in the rain. So I think you will find the 2020 GT500 will be just as capable as your current Cadillac CTS-V. I hope this allays your concerns.
I appreciate the feedback. It is helpful. However, I’m not buying the car to sit in the garage. Life is too dang short, and surely not promised, to not wear your best jewelry or drive your favorite car. I guess I am the weirdo, because I am going to drive my car to work every day unless a hail storm is on the menu.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,785 Posts
Haven’t driven mine in the rain and no plans to unless I get caught unexpectedly. The car does have a “Slippery Mode” which should help. I would also expect the base 4S tires to be better in the wet than the SC2s on the CFTP car since the tread is much deeper on the 4S tires.

From the GT500 supplement:

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,106 Posts
I read somewhere that the 2020 GT500 was made with sugar and would dissolve if it ever got wet!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you're buying a standard GT500 with the PS4S they should handle the rain reasonably well so long as you give it caution.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I'm with @03reptile on the tires.... I had the Pilot Super Sports and then moved onto the Pilot A/S3+... Night and day difference. I can set my cruise in the '12 at 75 in the rain and not feel uncomfortable one bit.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,785 Posts
I'm with @03reptile on the tires.... I had the Pilot Super Sports and then moved onto the Pilot A/S3+... Night and day difference. I can set my cruise in the '12 at 75 in the rain and not feel uncomfortable one bit.
Nick, it is highly recommended to not use cruise control in the rain. If your tires hydroplane, the cruise control will give it gas to attempt to maintain speed. This can cause a spin-out and wreck.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
For those of you lucky enough to have received your new beast, I’d like to find out what your experience has been driving in the rain. I currently drive a 2015 Cadillac CTS-V. I drive this car every week day and I trust it all the time but especially in the rain. In the rain, I can drive it 75 when others are doing 45 and I don’t feel one ounce of fear or hesitation. Yes, I realize that the GT500 has 200 more hp than my Cadillac, and that does make a difference. I am just asking if while driving the RECOMMENDED speed limit, in Texas style rain, will I regret...at that moment...not having my trusty Cadillac? Yes, I realize the driver has a lot to do with that also, so..let’s pretend I don’t drive like a girly girl and that I’ve been driving race cars since before I had a driver’s license because my Dad was a race car driver and even named me after his boss man.... Oh wait, we don’t have to pretend because that’s all true. I can drive with and around the best of them. Doesn’t matter the surface. So, driver ability is a non-issue.

The GT500 will be my daily driver. So, please give my your thoughts as to how your car handles in the rain.
Good stuff, @Bobbie. I've been wondering the same thing re: the new 2020 GT500 and life as a daily driver. Right now, I'm daily driving a distance cousin of yours, a 2014 Chevy SS, and feel very confident in it, though you have much more driving experience than I ever will.

Thanks for asking the question. And hats off to you -- buy 'em to use 'em!!! (y)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
Nick, it is highly recommended to not use cruise control in the rain. If your tires hydroplane, the cruise control will give it gas to attempt to maintain speed. This can cause a spin-out and wreck.
Goose beat me to it. Cruise control is a no-no on a wet road. Our police high speed course instructors beat that into our heads. I really hated that when we drove down to Florida from Maryland. It rained almost the whole way and I didn't use the cruise control to achieve better mileage and less driver fatigue. Lothar say's it's negligible in the new BMW's which have a more sensitive cruise control system, but I just erred on the side of caution and didn't use it.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Life is too short to drive a boring/crappy car daily that's fersure... But I tend to keep my "best jewelry" in pristine condition for special moments or pristine weather. Otherwise, my best jewelry slowly morphs into being my new-normal, and the glitter wears off, and it feels more like blue jeans and sneakers.. If that makes any sense...

I daily-drove my 680 rwhp 2011 GT500 to the tune of 51,000 miles, in two stints.. New, from 2011-2015, then spent a couple years in an AWD Audi A8L (great car), and then again 2018-2019. And now it's all detailed to the nines and retired again, only seeing sunny-day service (actually, haven't driven her in 6 months LOL!).

In the midst of daily driving duty, she was a GREAT car, and a total blast!! But the difference in the width of my smile when it was daily-routine, to the width of my smile when I pull a sparkling car out on a sunny weekend, is considerable.

So in my mind, it's all good.. Daily is good, and occasional is good. It's the intensity of the experience that varies considerably. After 2-3 weeks "straight", your road rocket becomes "normal every-day", and it's just not the same level anymore.

If I bought a 1,000 hp car, and drove that every day, I'd get used to it, somewhat over it, and would be shopping for a 1,500 hp car in the pursuit of continuing my drug-addiction. For daily-driving, I've learned that VARIETY (switching it up every few years to something completely different) is more fun than flogging the same beast eternally.

Sorry for the blabber, just my views on daily driving or not daily driving. They both have their pluses an minuses. Same thing goes for owning a classic car. Occasional jaunt? Mind-blowing. 2-3 years straight? Primitive uncomfortable old car with shitty stereo.. LOL..

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
Exactly the way I feel. After being deprived of driving my new GT350 for almost a month, I can't wait to get behind the wheel and listen to that melodious engine speak to me again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts