Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I tend to get lots of respect from other Mustang owners, especially in newer models like GTs which has been somewhat surprising.

<----this my first Mustang of any kind.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
367 Posts
My first rule is: I love and respect any car that anyone owns and is proud of. Spending money on something so personal is an emotional decision, and should always be respected be others.

I’d give you a fist bump, bro hug, thumbs up, or nod of approval. Always be proud of you car, and never concern yourself with what others think.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess being a guy who has owned quite a few cars (more Corvettes than anything - 5 in all) I'm still trying to understand the Mustang community and where this older vehicle of mine sits in the pecking order. Having a base Corvette, there was always a lot of admiration for ZR1s and Z06s, even older ones. If you had a base Vette, the upper models were aspirational, was wondering if it was the same in this sphere, I really don't know. I see a lot of folks who really seem to have a lot of overall admiration for the S197 platform on top of that. Since I've owned no other Mustang before, and have no experience with them, and this is a bit of a learning curve.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I guess being a guy who has owned quite a few cars (more Corvettes than anything - 5 in all) I'm still trying to understand the Mustang community and where this older vehicle of mine sits in the pecking order. Having a base Corvette, there was always a lot of admiration for ZR1s and Z06s, even older ones. If you had a base Vette, the upper models were aspirational, was wondering if it was the same in this sphere, I really don't know. I see a lot of folks who really seem to have a lot of overall admiration for the S197 platform on top of that. Since I've owned no other Mustang before, and have no experience with them, and this is a bit of a learning curve.
I would say that since the Corvette gets all of the cutting edge technology from GM (and maybe Cadillac second) and the Mustang is just that, a Mustang V6 with an upper end GT500 model, and comparing the "Premiere American Sports Car" with a Ford Pony car is not really a comparison......BUT yet, the pony car (Mustang V6 bottom level) is up there competing with cutting edge Corvette/GM technology.........Pretty cool in my opinion, and they have been doing this competing since at least 2000 with the 2000 Cobra R (385HP) and the Corvette Z06 (385HP) and the Viper V10 (385 or 405HP, I don't remember), all doing battle together in the magazine tests........The Mustang (as a pony car), leaped pasted the GM pony car (Camaro) back in 2003 with the 390HP Cobra vs. the 375HP Camaro SS and never looked back......425HP Camaro SS in 2010, vs. 540HP GT500 in 2010.........Bye-Bye.....

From that point forward, (15 or so years ago), the SVT Cobra and then GT500 has always kept the Corvette in it's sights.......The pony car Camaro.......Meh........

R

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
976 Posts
I would compare the "Mustang culture" to the Vette thing in very similar terms. My first exposure to the Mustang "thing" was in the mid-60s. I saw one, I loved the look. I saw that 1968 Shelby GT500 KR convertible, and it was all over for me. No other car would compare, not a Vette or anything else, other than a Shelby Cobra or a GT40. It is just a thing that continues on throughout someone's life. Our 2013 GT500 is also a car I never thought I would own, but there it is. A goal achieved.
Personally, the S197 platform is very true to the original shape of a Mustang fastback, especial from 1967 through, say, 1970. To me, the S197 is the closest to the original in the looks category and it appeals to me the most.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I would compare the "Mustang culture" to the Vette thing in very similar terms. My first exposure to the Mustang "thing" was in the mid-60s. I saw one, I loved the look. I saw that 1968 Shelby GT500 KR convertible, and it was all over for me. No other car would compare, not a Vette or anything else, other than a Shelby Cobra or a GT40. It is just a thing that continues on throughout someone's life. Our 2013 GT500 is also a car I never thought I would own, but there it is. A goal achieved.
Personally, the S197 platform is very true to the original shape of a Mustang fastback, especial from 1967 through, say, 1970. To me, the S197 is the closest to the original in the looks category and it appeals to me the most.
^^^^^^^ I agree with that, and inside the Mustang culture is the Shelby culture both old and new. Me personally, I like all of them, and in reality "anything performance".

R

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that why people are so enamored of the S197? I felt when they did the throwback restyle back in 2005 (or so) it was really a great idea. This redesign has progressively gotten more "modern" over the years. I think all of them from 2005 onward are cool. And I really think the new GT500s are pretty badass looking, whereas the new C8 Corvette is just bizarre - too many folded creases, it's kind of a mish-mash design, and this is coming from a Corvette person. The upcoming Z06 will probably look a lot better. I didn't (and still do not) like the design of the base C7. With the strike and the pandemic, the C8 release has been really screwed up, I still don't see many of them.

But the Corvette community doesn't really have a figurehead like Shelby - Zora Duntov perhaps, but not a lot of people know who that is. Most Vette fanatics mainly quote options codes when talking about these cars: ZL1, LT1, L88, L71, Z51, J36...

My perception of the modern GT500 overall - meaning both new vs old models - is that it sits atop the food chain of Mustangs, with the recent GT350 coming in second, GT 3rd etc. I went shopping for a convertible and had GT500s on my radar - I would not have considered a regular GT at all. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2016 Z06 manual convertible about a month before, but the color scheme (silver with factory black stripes) didn't really do much for me. Ironically that is the exact same color scheme my GT500 has, but this car pulls it off way better. I checked out of Corvettes around 2013 or so when I hit a rough patch financially, didn't really start paying attention to them again until last year. I've always owned GM products (or Honda/Toyota) until I got the Raptor in 2019, that was my first Ford, and that's kind of what got the GT500 on my radar.

Anyway, I'm still learning my way around this GT500 community.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,587 Posts
Just curious. I tend to get lots of respect from other Mustang owners, especially in newer models like GTs which has been somewhat surprising.

<----this my first Mustang of any kind.
I see lots of love for these cars both in person and across social media. The GT500 sits atop of the Mustang performance hierarchy. If you look at a different example, say the Ford GT... there is no entry level versions of the car. You are either all-in or all-out on something like a Ford GT. With the GT500, the vast majority of Mustang owners/enthusiasts are driving non-GT500 versions of the same platform. They “like Mustang” and would love to have the top-dawg offering from Ford Performance. Many of the comments on my YouTube channel come from non-GT500 owners that are simply into the Mustang culture.

I had a lady comment on one of my videos recently. She said all she had was a “V-6 Mustang” and I’m with @Jetfire on giving other people props for their cars... I told her ANY Mustang is cool and congrats on owning one!

Mustang is a car. It’s also a way of life... a mindset. It represents freedom, fun and youth. It’s not just a boring A to B commuter car and fortunately for us, Ford Performance/SVT decided to strap supercharger on these fun cars to make us giggle like little girls! 🤟

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
734 Posts
For me, we were always a Ford family growing up... occasionally we would have other cars, Cadillac, Pontiac etc, but always would come back.
My first car was a Mustang -- 1979 fox body - and I think that set up my lifelong Mustang fandom.
Interestingly enough, I never really experienced the Mustang culture until my 2013 Mustang. It was the first one that really got noticed by other people, both Mustang and non-Mustang drivers. It was black, with the spoiler (vs the bump tail), and side louvers - and having owned a '68 fastback, I would agree that the styling very much reflected that heritage.

Shelby's were always just a dream - one that, when I had the opportunity, I had to jump on. I still kick myself for not going for the '13 GT500.

The GT500 gets a lot of attention, across a large swath of people - and I do think the 2015+ re-engineering opened it up to a wider crowd that wouldn't necessarily have considered Mustangs before.
Most of my friends who were Camaro and/or Corvette people scoffed at the Mustang --- but not so much anymore.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Most of my friends who were Camaro and/or Corvette people scoffed at the Mustang --- but not so much anymore.
^^^^That IS funny!! I have experienced the same thing, and when the 2003 Cobra came out, they (the Chev. guys) were calling it unfair, Ford "HAD" to have a S/C to compete...........In the last few years I have mentioned the many Chevs that have now come into the S/C world........Crickets........

R

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
976 Posts
I see lots of love for these cars both in person and across social media. The GT500 sits atop of the Mustang performance hierarchy. If you look at a different example, say the Ford GT... there is no entry level versions of the car. You are either all-in or all-out on something like a Ford GT. With the GT500, the vast majority of Mustang owners/enthusiasts are driving non-GT500 versions of the same platform. They “like Mustang” and would love to have the top-dawg offering from Ford Performance. Many of the comments on my YouTube channel come from non-GT500 owners that are simply into the Mustang culture.

I had a lady comment on one of my videos recently. She said all she had was a “V-6 Mustang” and I’m with @Jetfire on giving other people props for their cars... I told her ANY Mustang is cool and congrats on owning one!

Mustang is a car. It’s also a way of life... a mindset. It represents freedom, fun and youth. It’s not just a boring A to B commuter car and fortunately for us, Ford Performance/SVT decided to strap supercharger on these fun cars to make us giggle like little girls! 🤟
Well said, Tim.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
^^^^That IS funny!! I have experienced the same thing, and when the 2003 Cobra came out, they (the Chev. guys) were calling it unfair, Ford "HAD" to have a S/C to compete...........In the last few years I have mentioned the many Chevs that have now come into the S/C world........Crickets........

R
well, and not to mention, these non SC Mustangs aren't slouches.... heck the current V6 would blow the doors off my '90 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2021 Black on order.
51 Posts

Well said.

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
My first rule is: I love and respect any car that anyone owns and is proud of. Spending money on something so personal is an emotional decision, and should always be respected be others.

I’d give you a fist bump, bro hug, thumbs up, or nod of approval. Always be proud of you car, and never concern yourself with what others think.
^^^ this x1,000,000. Very wise words -- well said! (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
2020 GT500 shadow black
32 Posts
Speaking from past me with a 01 GT at 17. every time I saw a cobra i dreamed and plotted, after the GT500 debuted i had a new dream. My 2010 was my dream car and loved it, the 13/14 sold me on the VMP Gen 1. I was now able to buy the newest dream. I can tell you my old car got looks and reactions. The 2020 is a whole different type. 3 times leaving work i have had junior guys hanging out the window of their GT, SS, WRX throwing their arms out in disbelief (really was not expecting their reaction), like they just saw the rarest thing in the world. I had people pacing me on the highway taking pictures of the car. It reminded me of myself when i was 14 and dreamed of the Supra, Roush, Porsche TT. It is a motivator to some to buy it, some to build what they have, and some (like me) just love awesome cars

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess i can answer this one from the perspective of an "outsider" looking in. First and foremost, if people are proud of the car they drive, then i respect that and would never dare put them down based on the model/trim car that they have. An enthusiast is an enthusiast.

Anyway, i've owned quite a few Mustangs over the years. I bought my first at age 17 (i'm 40 now) and have always owned at least one. I've gotten the chance to drive Saleens, Terminators, S197 GT500's, GT350 etc. I've enjoyed driving them all. I've always respected the "top dog" models but never personally made the jump to get one for myself.

I recently got to take a 2020 GT500 around a track for a few laps. Wasn't pushing the car 100% (for obvious reasons) but i got to stretch it's legs and enjoyed it. A lot. It was vastly different than any Mustang i've ever driven before. It felt like a race car, and the DCT might have a lot to do with that. It took me a few weeks to learn to love my "regular" Mustang again. It was just that much fun and such an incredible car.

The bug bit me hard, so here I am. I don't know if one is in my immediate future due to other competing "wants" right now, but i am in total awe of the car and jealous (in a good way) when i see one on the street. Incredible car you folks have for sure.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Yeah I like it when someone obviously enjoys their car.... it always bugs me when someone has a nice car and they treat it like a junker.... :cry:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It all depends on the person. Some people who aren't confident in themselves can take on that "I could build my v6 to be faster than your GT500 because I saw a guy who did XYZ on social media". They act like their car is the absolute best because its the one they own and anyone who isn't in the same scenario with the same model is doing it wrong.

Luckily those people seem to be few and far between. I generally get people asking lots of questions about the car, but I think my 2009 GT500 got a better response from people out in the wild than I do in the GT350. Whereas the GT350 gets me more conversations with other mustang owners.

Reactions: DKnight
1 - 20 of 22 Posts