Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,786 Posts
Why not? That’s kinda a hack job but gets the point across. I would certainly entertain one.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
570 Posts
I think there would be better paths to take then following the Vette's path. Making an AWD version would do amazing things for traction in all forms. Ford cannot lose sight of what the "pony car" really is and stop blending it closer to the GT.
I think making the GT more affordable (somehow) or in different variants like you see with the Vette then you have actual choices to appeal to more buyers. Jazz up the mustangs with better interiors, some safety tech we don't even know about yet that they will cook up, or find a way to get the young people interested in this type of car as Ford set out to do decades ago.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ford cannot lose sight of what the "pony car" really is and stop blending it closer to the GT.
I agree with this.

As for making the Ford GT “affordable,” you can have awesome and you can have cheap... you can’t have both. Kudos to Ford for building a super car! I cannot afford one, but I’m sure those that can enjoy the exclusivity. It’s an awesome car!

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
570 Posts
Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
Interesting! With the intro of the C8, this gives Ford an opportunity to truly set the GT500 apart from the Corvette, i.e. the pony car comment. Mid-engine C8 or front engine GT500 -- which one is better? in which situations? what situations would realistically apply to me? etc.. What a wonderful dilemma and set of questions it poses to a buyer. Plus, if means are available, gives buyers an opportunity to own the best of both worlds! :p (y)

Reactions: Dave

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
352 Posts
I would hate to see the mustang go to a mid-engine. That's not a pony car, at least not to me. Call me a purist, but theres just something about it. The GT is Ford's mid-engine and it should stay there. Chevy did something great with the C8 and I love that car, but Chevy also still has the Camaro for the front engine, American pony car. I feel like, and this could just be me, but Chevy is always playing catch-up with Ford. The mid-engine super car is nothing new to Ford and the Mustang is the longest, consistently running pony car ever. Yes, the Vette has a few years on the Mustang, but it's not a pony car.

Side note... a mid-engine Mustang would still be no where near as tragic as the abomination known as the Mach-E!

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,635 Posts
I would be intrigued by an all wheel drive Mustang. To me, that would be more in line with the Mustang than shifting the engine to the rear. I wonder what the 0-60 time would be for an AWD Mustang sporting a Coyote, supercharged 5.4, or some variant of the VooDoo. So many choices! :)

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
1. This rendering was done by a third party and not Ford. I don't think we have to worry about this finding its way to the production floor folks.
2. I'd drive it.
3. I've also contemplated getting a Mach-E for the wife, so I have opinions contrary to most here.
4. I don't really care.
5. 😁 🍻

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
352 Posts
If I bought the wife an electric car she would laugh me right back to the dealership. Lol! She is a cam-thumpin, classic V8 kind of lady. Wants to restore a 50's 5 window single cab.

Reactions: Goose17
1 - 12 of 12 Posts