Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Washing your Shelby can be a real drag. Water and suds in the engine compartment can be upsetting.:eek: Any ideas or mods would be appreciated in resolving this problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even though I don't have mine yet (hopefully I just got my VIN), I have thought about the problem because I don't want to have to clean my engine compartment every time I wash the car. I haven't figured out the type of material yet, but I will be making some type of covers that I can put over the vents and secure under the hood to prevent the majority of the water from getting in. I assume the vents are resin of some type so they shouldn't be damaged in anyway by the covers(They will be smooth and soft on the bottom that touches the car.)

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Here is my fix.

Goto your local car part store, or Walmart and pickup 2 sponges that are anywhere from 2 to 3 inches thick. Open your hood and trace the outline of the inside vents. Than using a knife setup where the blade extracts (something like a box cutter but is plastic and you can extend the razor like 5 inches out) you cut the sponge to the shape of the inside of the vent using your cardboard template. Now you have 2 sponges that fit inside the hood and catch all the water. I put a bright orange index card on my steering wheel which reminds me to remove the sponges before starting or driving the car. :)

$ 10.00 dollar fix that works perfect :)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my fix.

Goto your local car part store, or Walmart and pickup 2 sponges that are anywhere from 2 to 3 inches thick. Open your hood and trace the outline of the inside vents. Than using a knife setup where the blade extracts (something like a box cutter but is plastic and you can extend the razor like 5 inches out) you cut the sponge to the shape of the inside of the vent using your cardboard template. Now you have 2 sponges that fit inside the hood and catch all the water. I put a bright orange index card on my steering wheel which reminds me to remove the sponges before starting or driving the car. :)

Great idea busababy!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Do the sponge trip it is simple and it works.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is my fix.

Just got done with your fix. It works great and as you stated is a cheap fix. I will just add to oversize the cut on the sponge so as to squeeze the sponge on the inside of the vents creating a good seal.

Thanks busababy.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just fill in the vents with silicone. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
shelby.jpg Thanks for the Sponge idea. My Shelby will be high and dry with your suggestion. Thanks!!! again. Great, and cheap idea.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Yes I did forget that part, oversize so it stays in place. Working on a fix for the front license plate now :)

Remember to put something on the steering wheel to remind you that the sponges are in... if not for sure someone will forget and want to take it for a quick ride and now the sponge will drop off on the motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes I did forget that part, oversize so it stays in place. Working on a fix for the front license plate now :)

In Texas we have to have a front plate. Mine is propped on the dash on a tee shirt. My line. " Officer, I just recieved my plates. There are no holes to mount my plate so I called my dealer. They said they would need to drill holes in my bumper and to bring my plate when I come in for my oil change. They said for the time being to put it on the dash and that would be ok."

I need your fix for the plate busababy. I don't like white lies. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, if water gets in through the vents when you wash it, does it also pour in if you drive it in the rain? Not like mine will ever see rain, but just wondering.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Don't feel bad about driving her in the rain. By the time mine comes, the snow will be flying. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Don't feel bad about driving her in the rain. By the time mine comes, the snow will be flying. :mad:

You know I bet it is even harder for the snow to get through the vents so you will be ok.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Hot DAMN!!!! Just heard from [email protected]. My build date is 10/16, and a delivery date of 10/24.........."However, this information is subject to change".....
At least we're progressing AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, How sweet it will be!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
bogey your killing me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts