1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyone here using the hood struts from Shelby Performance Parts? I really like the look of them but it says that they are not recommended for the GT-500 because of the weight of the hood.

What struts are you using? Please let me know for this informal poll, thank you!

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem/100421 Hood lift kit.aspx

I think the aluminum hood is lighter than the fiberglass hood. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. :thinkerg:

+1 I am looking for hood struts as well. I would like them to be factory looking and not chrome or dressed up. RayMan I am not trying to hijack your thread just hoping we can both get answers from one thread.

Stew

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I got the Steeda ones over the Redline because I didn't want to drill the hood. They work great, and I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No problem Stew, the more info, the better for all of us. I used something similar to MRT's for a couple of years without any problems.

http://store.mrt-direct.com/hoodstruts.html

Hey Gus, I personally don't like the length of the Redlines but I know people that have them and love them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Redline's require drilling mounting holes where as most others use existing mounting holes. Not going to drill holes if I don't have to in my new baby. Just an FYI.

I was thinking about getting the Steeda's because I have seen them on other GT-500's but just I like the billet brushed aluminum look of the SPP's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I know a few folks locally that have used the SPP struts with no problems. The ones I would seriously consider are these made by Cal Pony/NXT GEN. I used their fender brackets from a Mustang GT kit before they introduced their GT500 product and it is made of very high quality materials and workmanship. You can get them in several powder-coated colors.

http://www.ninosport.com/Calpony-Hood-Lift-Kit-2007-GT500-ENG-058?sc=2&category=21819

Here is one of their fender brackets.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Redline's require drilling mounting holes where as most others use existing mounting holes. Not going to drill holes if I don't have to in my new baby. Just an FYI.

I was thinking about getting the Steeda's because I have seen them on other GT-500's but just I like the billet brushed aluminum look of the SPP's.
The Redlines require drilling your hood, but they look okay installed. They offer better mechanical advantage by mounting further from the hinge, but IMO they also intrude into the side hood opening more.

I have the Steedas, which I had painted to match my car. Their earlier fender bracket design was pretty poor so I replaced them with brackets from a Cal Pony kit. I understand Steeda has since improved their fender brackets but I have never seen them installed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know a few folks locally that have used the SPP struts with no problems. The ones I would seriously consider are these made by Cal Pony/NXT GEN. I used their fender brackets from a Mustang GT kit before they introduced their GT500 product and it is made of very high quality materials and workmanship. You can get them in several powder-coated colors.

http://www.ninosport.com/Calpony-Hood-Lift-Kit-2007-GT500-ENG-058?sc=2&category=21819

Here is one of their fender brackets.

Thanks 6-Speed... the more I look at reviews and feedback, those get rave reviews. I also found a blog for them:

http://calponycars.blogspot.com/2009/02/california-pony-cars-hood-lift-kit.html

I like the fact that they have pieces made specifically for the GT-500. I'm putting them at the top of my list.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Too much hood hanging over the pivot point of those type of shrtus. Many fail in short time.

Redline Tuning are the only shock that WILL NEVER fail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just ordered a set of Cal Pony lifts. I'll let you know when I get them and post photos when installed.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Too much hood hanging over the pivot point of those type of shrtus. Many fail in short time.

Redline Tuning are the only shock that WILL NEVER fail.
Jay - I've had the Steeda struts on mine for over 2 years. No problems. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I have seen the Redline struts on a GT500 and thought it looked more like a factory install than those with the big brackets bolted to the hood.

After looking at the CalPony struts, it looks like those brackets lay flat against the hood and not as visible; they may be the best of both worlds (looks and no drilling) JMHO

·
Registered
933 Posts
Jay - I've had the Steeda struts on mine for over 2 years. No problems. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

I'm on 18+ months with the same setup Orf and no issues.

Knock on wood!

Arbour88

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have seen the Redline struts on a GT500 and thought it looked more like a factory install than those with the big brackets bolted to the hood.

After looking at the CalPony struts, it looks like those brackets lay flat against the hood and not as visible; they may be the best of both worlds (looks and no drilling) JMHO
Doc,

I agree they seem to be the lowest profile and if there is an issue with the rods not holding the hood I will find another set with a different weight rating.

Stew

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also have redlines on my '09. on the left side, the hood release cable needs to be unpinned, and flipped over to ride UNDER the flange on the fender. If you don't do this, the left side of the hood will not sit down. It stays up, riding on the hinge pin and the release cable. Just an FYI with the redlines. (which i absolutly love BTW)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered a set of Cal Pony lifts. I'll let you know when I get them and post photos when installed.
Hahaha... I did too! :grinbiginvert:

Let's see who gets them first! :p

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look what I found on my door step today... :stickpoke:

:p

Install will happen on Saturday. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
:thefinger: Must be nice!!!!

I wont get mine until 7/7/09. It's because there are more black GT 500's out there and not so many Vapor. :) :)

Good luck with them let me know how the install goes.

Stew

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Look what I found on my door step today... :stickpoke:

Install will happen on Saturday. :)
Ray Man,
Post pics of the install and a review please. :pimp:

One thing I like about the prop rod is that I can drop the hood from about 12" and it will latch; no need to get finger prints on the hood to close it. Prob try the Calpony lifts anyway.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts