Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 HE 5.2L Supercharged V8 TREMEC 7-Speed Dual Clutch TORSEN Differential 3.73 axel
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search of the forum did not show any posts on this item.

I was very surprised to not find such a light on my 2022 GT500 HE.

There are You Tube videos of men installing such a light using a mercury switch to turn it on/off with the hood being opened/closed.

Q1. Have any GT500 forum members performed this upgrade?

Q2. If so, I would appreciate info on the parts used, where purchased, and any helpful comments about your installation.

Thanks much.

· Super Moderator
8,555 Posts
My search of the forum did not show any posts on this item.

I was very surprised to not find such a light on my 2022 GT500 HE.

There are You Tube videos of men installing such a light using a mercury switch to turn it on/off with the hood being opened/closed.

Q1. Have any GT500 forum members performed this upgrade?

Q2. If so, I would appreciate info on the parts used, where purchased, and any helpful comments about your installation.

Thanks much.
Solid post! Hopefully it provides us some great suggestions.

· Registered
2021 GT500
1,481 Posts
Here is a kit that is popular with the "offroading world". They are bright, compact, and come with everything needed; it would just come down to placement and how you want to wire it up (switched, or on when hood is up).

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
I for one am happy there is no hood light. My old Foxes have them. The bulbs are removed. My hoods stay up in the garage with tenders hooked to the battery. I do not want a light on all the time. Same at car shows with your hood up and a light draining your battery.

· Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 HE 5.2L Supercharged V8 TREMEC 7-Speed Dual Clutch TORSEN Differential 3.73 axel
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a kit that is popular with the "offroading world". They are bright, compact, and come with everything needed; it would just come down to placement and how you want to wire it up (switched, or on when hood is up).

Thanks much Ryan. It looks like it would work well for my needs.

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I for one am happy there is no hood light. My old Foxes have them. The bulbs are removed. My hoods stay up in the garage with tenders hooked to the battery. I do not want a light on all the time. Same at car shows with your hood up and a light draining your battery.
From the looks in the photo of this light kit visible from the online link, there is a switch to control the light with the hood up.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
From the looks in the photo of this light kit visible from the online link, there is a switch to control the light with the hood up.
That would be a good mod then. I slap a magnetic LED light under the hood on my older Mustangs when working in the engine bay. Having a mounted switched light would be a good thing, especially since the 05-14 hoods are aluminum and the 20-22 hoods are SMC… neither of which work with a magnet.

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a good mod then. I slap a magnetic LED light under the hood on my older Mustangs when working in the engine bay. Having a mounted switched light would be a good thing, especially since the 05-14 hoods are aluminum and the 20-22 hoods are SMC… neither of which work with a magnet.
Thanks much for that info.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm definitely with Tim on this one. I wouldn't want a needless power drain during shows & given how hot it is under that hood, I woud rather not have any additional electrical/wiring permanently under there. Temporary light when necessary seems more than sufficient. And I always travel with a powerful LED flashlight in my trunk tool pack for those unexpected moments. Advantage over the under hood mounted light is I can use it anywhere on the car.

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definitely with Tim on this one. I wouldn't want a needless power drain during shows & given how hot it is under that hood, I woud rather not have any additional electrical/wiring permanently under there. Temporary light when necessary seems more than sufficient. And I always travel with a powerful LED flashlight in my trunk tool pack for those unexpected moments. Advantage over the under hood mounted light is I can use it anywhere on the car.
Thanks Sam. FWIW I will try out a headlamp when I get back from my 3 week road trip in my 2020 Expedition XLT. I have used a headlamp setup before in the form of a Craftsman ball cap with LED lights in the brim, which worked pretty well when I was doing a lot of woodworking projects. This time I will use a Duracell DFDH400PK which is a headlamp and flashlight combo package using AAA batteries. Both the flashlight and the headlamp provide 400 lumens with high, low intensity and red light settings. Will report back how that goes.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Thanks Sam. FWIW I will try out a headlamp when I get back from my 3 week road trip in my 2020 Expedition XLT. I have used a headlamp setup before in the form of a Craftsman ball cap with LED lights in the brim, which worked pretty well when I was doing a lot of woodworking projects. This time I will use a Duracell DFDH400PK which is a headlamp and flashlight combo package using AAA batteries. Both the flashlight and the headlamp provide 400 lumens with high, low intensity and red light settings. Will report back how that goes.
Gary, one question is what's the goal here? Are you looking for just general basic "I wanna see my engine in dark situations" or serious working on engine task lighting? It sounds like the latter based on what you mentioned in this reply. I wouldn't expect THAT level of light from 2x600 lumen flood beams. I think you'd be better off with your focused cap lighting or a high powered type of magnetic light that you could focus on area you're working. Just my opinion...

FWIW ANY vehicle I have ever owned that actually came with OEM under hood lighting was useless except for very, very, minimal lighting situations.

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary, one question is what's the goal here? Are you looking for just general basic "I wanna see my engine in dark situations" or serious working on engine task lighting? It sounds like the latter based on what you mentioned in this reply. I wouldn't expect THAT level of light from 2x600 lumen flood beams. I think you'd be better off with your focused cap lighting or a high powered type of magnetic light that you could focus on area you're working. Just my opinion...

FWIW ANY vehicle I have ever owned that actually came with OEM under hood lighting was useless except for very, very, minimal lighting situations.
I agree Sam, just to focus on where I am working. What started my thinking on this was when I check the engine oil I have to use either the braille method or a flashlight to see the tube to insert the dipstick.

Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

· Registered
2021 GT 500
1,389 Posts
It would be pretty easy to rig it up to one of the interior light circuits or the trunk light to trigger a relay hooked to your hood light. The car automatically turns off all those lights after 10 mins or so to save the battery. I have a ton of LED strip lights on my stereo system and left the trunk open all the time when I was working on it. They always turned off after a few minutes. I used the factory trunk light to trigger my relay.

· Premium Member
2022 HE CFTP 1991 GTC
489 Posts
It would be pretty easy to rig it up to one of the interior light circuits or the trunk light to trigger a relay hooked to your hood light. The car automatically turns off all those lights after 10 mins or so to save the battery. I have a ton of LED strip lights on my stereo system and left the trunk open all the time when I was working on it. They always turned off after a few minutes. I used the factory trunk light to trigger my relay.
……..says the guy with ‘CalTech’ in his name.

· Registered
374 Posts
i use this light a LOT at work. works awesome when working in tight areas. MUCH better than a hat mounted light.
the linked light is for the type of light, only has 350lm. if you search there are 2 different levels of light sold. there is a 1000lm one on the market for a couple of $ more.
the hand motion on and off option sounds good, in reality it stinks. the light will turn off every time you turn your head in tight areas. this option HAS to be enabled. i only tried it once.

· Super Moderator
8,555 Posts
I use this head lamp because it also converts into a 90 degree light I can clip on my shirt. 1000 lumens several modes including high, low, spot, flood and red.

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i use this light a LOT at work. works awesome when working in tight areas. MUCH better than a hat mounted light.
the linked light is for the type of light, only has 350lm. if you search there are 2 different levels of light sold. there is a 1000lm one on the market for a couple of $ more.
the hand motion on and off option sounds good, in reality it stinks. the light will turn off every time you turn your head in tight areas. this option HAS to be enabled. i only tried it once.

Thanks much Kagey. I will check it out.

Reactions: GT500 The Mistress

· Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use this head lamp because it also converts into a 90 degree light I can clip on my shirt. 1000 lumens several modes including high, low, spot, flood and red.

That looks a lot better than the headlamp I have. Thanks much Chris.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts
Gary, you need the light for? I'll assume its for working under the hood at night, how about a old fashion drop light, great if your working anywhere around the car. I am too old school I guess.

· Premium Member
2021 GT500 Race Red
3,183 Posts

I have to admit this is pretty cool, I may get one, this with a drop light would be great. I'll be spending money again Thanks Chris :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts