Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
interesting, right now I just have 2 remotes (2 different gates) clipped on the passenger sun visor...
doesn't bother me too much but this sure looks cleaner.

had it on my c6, liked it much, too bad my convertible top switch is right there, probably not enough space for both.
I see some used for about $30 on ebay, might just get one, I guess that is all needed?!
connect to ground and light switch incoming + only, right?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Only 2 wires. I鈥檝e also seen were people use the 12-14 sun visor with the homelink in them. Might be a better idea for your very. Not sure how well they match though. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Premium Member
Nice install!

Registered
Added a homelink to my overhead console today. I was tired of the garage door opener taking up my cup holder. 馃檪 View attachment 198108

BRILLIANT! I too am annoyed by my garage door opening on my visor. Its an OCD thing. I may do this as well
Part number for that part? Just drilled a hole in the panel and fed power and signal through? Did you tap off the mirror wiring or have to fish it down to the dash?

Registered
For anyone interested in how to do this, let me know. I did a rather large write up on another site when I did this for my Mustang GT in 2008 or so, and still have all the pics from my install as well if you want to see how to do it. Its extremely easy

Registered
BRILLIANT! I too am annoyed by my garage door opening on my visor. Its an OCD thing. I may do this as well
Part number for that part? Just drilled a hole in the panel and fed power and signal through? Did you tap off the mirror wiring or have to fish it down to the dash?
As far as the homelink goes, all you need to find out specifically is if your garage door opener uses rolling codes to open it or a fixed one (look it up in the door manual). As far as the homelink itself, all you need to do is hop on ebay and get the color you want with rolling codes or not. I'm pretty sure mine came out of a caddy, so the point is it doesnt matter what the make of the car is either.

Registered
The Ford PN# (4L3Z-17700-B) it's the same as the Gentex GENK50A / GENK51A. I got a new one for $120, but generally they run $250. Just as the above opener it's just power and ground.I then ran the outside air temp wire in the headliner, down the passenger A pillar, through the firewall, and installed right above the bumper on the back side of the grille.That's all the further the wire would go. Temp's only rise when I'm sitting still, otherwise, it's accurate. Mirror and wire cover all install in same place as OEM. Here's a pic of the connections above the map lights:

Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
@89Saleen215 Have any details/pictures of the back side of the mirror or how it mounts? I see the generic Gentex mirrors and like that option as it is a newer version of the Homelink (compatible with more openers), but don't see many details of how the mirror mounts.

Registered
@2008GT500 It mounts in the factory spot...just "slide" the old one off and slide the new one on. Back in the day there were some that cracked their windshield doing this because they are on there very, very tight. I went to a windshield installer and had them do it just in case the windshield cracked during the process. The place I went wouldn't guarantee they wouldn't crack the windshield either as they knew that these things are on there tight. I had good results...not only did the guy do it in a couple minutes, they also didn't charge me for it either.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Very easy. I used the existing power and ground that is for the map/dome lamps. Any homelink will do. I got a sun visor from the local salvage yard for $6 and removed it from there. I separated the halves, drilled the holes, extended the buttons a little with solid dowl and vwalah.

Registered
Very easy. I used the existing power and ground that is for the map/dome lamps. Any homelink will do. I got a sun visor from the local salvage yard for $6 and removed it from there. I separated the halves, drilled the holes, extended the buttons a little with solid dowl and vwalah.
thanks, this gives me an idea for a new video for my channel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts