Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife got me a Homelink mirror upgrade for my B-day (today).

Looks like I'd need to mount the temp sensor.

Is the wiring harness for the homelink w/temp & compass the same as the stock mirror?

Would I be able to plug it in and at least get the homelink part working without changing the wiring?

About removing the stock mirror.. I'd read that an auto-glass repair shop could easily swap it out with a special tool. Is the tool very expensive (not sure about any local auto-glass repair shops around here) or easily available?

Thanks!

TD

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a thread about this somewhere, I recall someone breaking their glass doing it....I would search for it so you don't f*ck-it up.:zlurking:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched for the thread but still didn't get the specific info from that.

I am mostly concerned about the wiring harnesses for my existing mirror (which has the compass) and if its a direct plug in for the the new mirror which has compass, homelink and temp.

TD

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should be concerned about the glass. There's a special removal tool to push the tab to release. On the harness - it's different - you need to rewire. It's not difficult to do it right. I wrote up some threads on TS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did mine back in Jan. once I figured out how to get the mirror off it wasn't too bad of an install. You do have to run the new wiring harness. I ran the temp sensor down the driver side and mount it to the front grill. Power down the pass side into the fuse box inside the car.

Here's a link with pic's from TS forum.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24026&hl=mirror

Hope this helps good luck.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I found the write up and also got the instructions off the ford website

I bought some tools to remove the trim panels and the mirror from NAPA (mirror tool comes on on Tuesday AM).

Looking at your write-up Printmaster, that wood piece (looks about the same size as some flooring shims I've got on hand). The purpose of the wood is to lightly pry the plastic cover on the mirror clamp to expose the metal part that allows the removal tool tobe inserted?

I also looked it up on Mitchell OnDemand. Kind of confusing.

Can you explain a little more on how to use the removal tool?

Worst case scenario, I'm going to call an auto-glass installer over an pay them to do it in my driveway.

TD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks
I found the write up and also got the instructions off the ford website

I bought some tools to remove the trim panels and the mirror from NAPA (mirror tool comes on on Tuesday AM).

Looking at your write-up Printmaster, that wood piece (looks about the same size as some flooring shims I've got on hand). The purpose of the wood is to lightly pry the plastic cover on the mirror clamp to expose the metal part that allows the removal tool tobe inserted?

I also looked it up on Mitchell OnDemand. Kind of confusing.

Can you explain a little more on how to use the removal tool?

Worst case scenario, I'm going to call an auto-glass installer over an pay them to do it in my driveway.

TD
The removal tool I got from NAPA is only 1/16" thick but the gap between the mirror clip and windshield is 3/16". So when you push the tool into the mirror it doesn't put any pressure on the mirror clip. The wood goes against the windshield and fills the gap; then you push the tool in between the wood and mirror clip; this will release the mirror clip. No need to pry on anything. If the wood and tool don't stay in by themselves it's not releasing the clip. I took my car to 2 auto glass co. and neither could help me. It's not difficult to do just sounds confusing. Once you get the tool if it's only 1/16" thick make up a block of wood and you'll see what I mean.

PM me your # we can go over on the phone if need to.
Good luck.
Brian

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I searched for the thread but still didn't get the specific info from that.

I am mostly concerned about the wiring harnesses for my existing mirror (which has the compass) and if its a direct plug in for the the new mirror which has compass, homelink and temp.

TD
That broken windshield was me. And it was done by the dealer. 1st week I had "My Baby", Nov., 07. They loosened the mirror, and in trying to get the mirror off the base, that was glued to the windshield, the glass under the base broke off. So I had to get a new windshield right out of the shoot. At least they had to pay for it. Boy was I steamed :flame: :flame: :flame: So whatever you do, be careful.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
That broken windshield was me. And it was done by the dealer. 1st week I had "My Baby", Nov., 07. They loosened the mirror, and in trying to get the mirror off the base, that is glued to ws, the glass under the base broke off. So I had to get a new windshield right out of the shoot. At least they had to pay for it. Boy was I steamed :flame: :flame: :flame: So whatever you do, be careful.
At least you got yours replaced. I got a rock chip driving the Shelby home from the dealer. Talk about one pi$$ed off Pretzel. :flame:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
just got my mirror Ford # 4L3Z-17700-B and want to put it in my 2008 GT500.
It comes with a 3 wire harness: Ground, + 12V Batt, +12 V Batt when ignition is on. So far so good.
The stock harness has 3 wires, too. Purple = +12 V Batt when ignition is on, Black = Ground,
White / green = reverse inhibt. What is this for a signal and where do I connect it on the new mirror??

Anybody????

Ulf,
Hamburg/Germany

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ulf-

hope you're having fun on the Autobahn in your GT500!

From what I recall these mirrors are made by another company for Ford and there are many many different mirrors, wiring harnesses with different connections and so on.

I'm not sure if you and I have the same mirror or not.

Mine has a temperature display and remote temp probe that needs to be mounted outside.

The reverse inhibit wiring is used to disable the electrochrmic dimming feature when you are backing up so you can look into your rear-view mirror to see where you're going. I did not connect mine because I didn't know where to hook it to. I believe that somewhere in the center console there is a wire that you could hook it to to accomplish this.

I've since had a reverse back up camera installed that comes on when I put it into reverse.

TD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi TD,
yes, it`s fun driving on the autobahn although there are soooo many slow people...:mofo:

My mirror has the temp probe, temp gauge, homelink and compass. Although it says FORD on the back of the mirror I was told that all these mirrors ar made by Gentex. Checked on their website but didn`t find anything.

My stock mirror has the white/green reverse inhibit wire. What did you do with it? Just leave it unconnected?

BTW, I love the / your white GT500 with red stripes. Mine is white too but with blue stripes....
Take care,

Ulf / Germany

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOunds like we have the same mirror

I left the wire disconnected - but I know that if you are so inclined, you can take the center console out and find that wire and hook it up. I don't find that this replacement mirror works as well as the stock mirror on the auto-dimming feature, but I really bought it because I wanted the homelink - there really is no decent place to store a pair of remotes in this car...

Anyway, in order to remove the center console, there are 2 screws near the center hatch hinge that need to be removed, and the shifter boot and knob must also be removed to totally remove it - the wire I believe is somewhere in there. I've never removed the console but that's what the installer who put my stereo in told me.

Still waiting for the custom grilles before I post some photos of the stereo.

TD

The home link feature works without that reverse inhibit connected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wife got me a Homelink mirror upgrade for my B-day (today).

Looks like I'd need to mount the temp sensor.

Is the wiring harness for the homelink w/temp & compass the same as the stock mirror?

Would I be able to plug it in and at least get the homelink part working without changing the wiring?

About removing the stock mirror.. I'd read that an auto-glass repair shop could easily swap it out with a special tool. Is the tool very expensive (not sure about any local auto-glass repair shops around here) or easily available?

Thanks!

TD
You could use painless wiring harness its the same as factory mirror that has the homelink. You could check on some directions here in fordgt500. Just search

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could use painless wiring harness its the same as factory mirror that has the homelink. You could check on some directions here in fordgt500. Just search
Thanks-

No my mirror had different wiring that the stock harness. I've had it installed for over a year now. Love it. Though main reason I bought it was to control gates for my community and garage door, they've since installed prox-card RFID enabled gates. Least I don't need to fumble with the darn garage opener anymore...

RH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts