Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for ideas on setting up a temporary "home" paint booth. I have done this before using sheet roll plastic with filters on one end and fans blowing out the other.
If anyone else has done it or has any GOOD ideas please post them up here.

Thanks
Ken

An idea that I used before,

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I’ve seen them used a mobile paint booth in the show Garage Squad. It has fans that inflates the booth. I would think it provides airflow as well.

Reactions: 'cause and Evil_E

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may google that and look at the cost and shipping.
I have seen them use one previously, just not sure of the cost for one time use. Just need to shoot the SLIMER.

And.... Shipping to here can be high being out from the cities.
And.... I don't have Corporate Sponsor's that pick up the tab's like they do. LoL...

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Found one on eBay, Cost isn't as bad as I thought it would be, nearly worth it by the time I round up the materials, cost and my time to put one together !
This is the first that popped up, Not as bad as I thought it would be.
20x8x10

Bob, Thanks for the memory bump!
@Ford Fest

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
I set up a DIY plastic sheet spray booth years ago to paint my '65 Mustang. It worked pretty good for a 'homebrew' project.
If I was to think I would do more than a 'couple' of big paint projects, the ebay deal would look like a Good Alternative (and better too).

I believe my Car painting days are about over thought...:)

Let us know what you do.....AND, I look forward to some pictures of the Process.....NOT expecting a Professional Presentation, just some photos and a little description...LOL

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have painted a few cars previously near as I can recall around 30.
Some just out in a driveway, some in the plastic tent configuration and a few,10 or so in a pro- booth.
I am FAR from a Pro, but I have done enough to know how to get decent results without a bunch of runs and orange peel.
Mostly it is in the prep. It can take a lot of time if you expect a fairly good finish. Poor little SLIMER is most likely not going to be a fairly decent job, just a a respray. It is a respray of the existing lime color.
A good cleaning, a scour with wet/dry, a wipe down clean and then shoot. There are very few light scratches and only 2-3 minor door ding type dents. A couple of front parts I am changing out for a different front end look and grill.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
Very cool Ken! I did not know about the inflatable booth option... you guys have my gears turning now. I will be restoring my 89 GT vert before too long and haven’t decided if I’d paint it or send it off.

I did a little paint booth underneath my 94 Cobra that I did a bottom restoration on. I just used an extra long double shop vac hose with a filter and bag to contain the mist... it worked quite well for what I needed.

25EFB4A6-249A-4C12-9E46-C1E4977B8C88.jpeg
4F99A765-0B84-436B-A9B3-FFDA58CACE7C.jpeg

Reactions: 'cause

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim, it isn't magic.
You CAN do a decent paint job in a plastic home booth, it does take a little time, experience with a splash of skill tp get the job done. If you can read and follow instructions a person can do just fine, the only two things that can be troublesome are runs and orange peel. this can be eliminated with the mix of the paint (thinner) air pressure and heaviness of the 'multiple coats'... as long as you can control dust, bugs and to an extent humidity most anyone can get satisfactory results.
Cleaning is the key, also if you are to bare metal, using a self etching primer will be important.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
Tim, it isn't magic.
You CAN do a decent paint job in a plastic home booth, it does take a little time, experience with a splash of skill tp get the job done. If you can read and follow instructions a person can do just fine, the only two things that can be troublesome are runs and orange peel. this can be eliminated with the mix of the paint (thinner) air pressure and heaviness of the 'multiple coats'... as long as you can control dust, bugs and to an extent humidity most anyone can get satisfactory results.
Cleaning is the key, also if you are to bare metal, using a self etching primer will be important.
Thanks Ken! I have painted a bunch of parts, but never a full car. I’ll probably get quotes from the pros when the time comes and then decide which way I’ll go. I’d enjoy the process, but I also want the car to look perfect.

Reactions: 'cause

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
With today’s specialized paints you really need to pay CLOSE attention to having the right kind of breathing systems to be safe. Current paints are extremely toxic to the human body during application.
Don’t skimp on your health!

The old style simple filter cartridges don’t offer enough protection.
Do your research here for the type of paint you intend to use...Please!

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Ken! I have painted a bunch of parts, but never a full car. I’ll probably get quotes from the pros when the time comes and then decide which way I’ll go. I’d enjoy the process, but I also want the car to look perfect.
@Goose17

Honestly...
If you are after perfect, have someone else do it.

I can well understand the desire to do it al yourself and the satisfaction that comes from doing it. Realty is, you won't do it to a level of perfection. Sorry.

Are you ready to put 4-5 coats of base down wet sanding and cleaning between each one then 3-4 coats of clear again wet sanding and then polishing... plus waiting each time for paint to set..... And God help you if it is Metallic !!!!!!!

Find a very reputable shop to do the paint, shop around, ask for references and follow up on them, LOOK at their work.
Probably to get to the level that we know you will expect will not come cheap, Perfection at any level comes with a price.

So start your own 'fund me account' at your bank and throw 3-500 a month in it. In about a year and a half to two you may have enough stuck away to have it done to perfection. After you have found a shop to do it, talk to them BEFORE You start to strip it down for paint... they may want to do it themselves.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
@Goose17

Honestly...
If you are after perfect, have someone else do it.

I can well understand the desire to do it al yourself and the satisfaction that comes from doing it. Realty is, you won't do it to a level of perfection. Sorry.

Are you ready to put 4-5 coats of base down wet sanding and cleaning between each one then 3-4 coats of clear again wet sanding and then polishing... plus waiting each time for paint to set..... And God help you if it is Metallic !!!!!!!

Find a very reputable shop to do the paint, shop around, ask for references and follow up on them, LOOK at their work.
Probably to get to the level that we know you will expect will not come cheap, Perfection at any level comes with a price.

So start your own 'fund me account' at your bank and throw 3-500 a month in it. In about a year and a half to two you may have enough stuck away to have it done to perfection. After you have found a shop to do it, talk to them BEFORE You start to strip it down for paint... they may want to do it themselves.
Good stuff Ken! I have done that level of perfection when painting parts, but never on a full car. I will probably go with a pro. I want my 89 to look like it just left the factory, only with a much better mirror-like paint job.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,418 Posts
Good stuff Ken! I have done that level of perfection when painting parts, but never on a full car. I will probably go with a pro. I want my 89 to look like it just left the factory, only with a much better mirror-like paint job.

That would be a good plan Tim! We stripped the 89 SSP of fenders, doors, front end, hood and truck lid, plus inside strip, then hauled it all to the local pro to paint. It turned out excelent. Now that is mostly together, we hauled it back to him to compound and final buff!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,113 Posts
That would be a good plan Tim! We stripped the 89 SSP of fenders, doors, front end, hood and truck lid, plus inside strip, then hauled it all to the local pro to paint. It turned out excelent. Now that is mostly together, we hauled it back to him to compound and final buff!
That’s good info Chuck! I can see me doing the same.

Reactions: 03reptile
1 - 15 of 15 Posts