Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the numbers! Did you do anything different, or just use a different Dyno?

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
463.9 at the wheels. Nothing but axle backs. 451.9 torque.

:D

bj

VNMOUS1,
Yeh,now we are talking.This is more consistant with what it should be.I have even seen it higher with just axle backs.I am glad you went some where else.Thanks BJ..........................07...........................

·
Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you check on this dyno prior to the exhaust change? Can you tell a diff in power? No Tune? Which mufflers did you go with?
No, I wish I had just to have a sanitary baseline. That said, the guy that did the dyno pulls said he's seen no more than 2-3 hp, at best, from cat or axle-backs. In fact, he said more often than not he sees the hp flat and the torque go down a tick.

There's no preceived difference in power (butt dyno) with the different exhaust. It's just louder :)

No, the car has not been dyno tuned (flash/chip/etc). Nothing has been done but the muffler change.

I used the Ford Racing axlebacks. Borla makes them. There are two on the Ford part site. One is round (that's the one I have) and it's 49 state legal. It's not legal in New Hampshire (just joshing, of course it's CA). The oval ones are 50 state legal. I've heard both. The round ones are significantly louder than the others. The only downside is the harmonic thing in the cabin at 1700-1900 rpms (around 60-70 mph). If I get stuck at 65, I drop down to 5th and it goes away above 2000rpms. I thought about trying Corsa (I had some on my C5 because they generally don't have the harmonics) but they are far less loud under normal throttle. You have to nail it for the Corsas to come alive.

07 was the first on here to have the ones I have. He's happy with his too.

I'll say this....if Ford DOES come up with a "kit" for the car (CAI, pipes, flash) it will be with these pipes. The question will be as to whether or not they let the warranty stay intact if it's all done by a dealer. They're talking about that right now. I spoke to SVT this morning about it. I faxed them my dyno graphs...just to let my two builders know they let a "hot" one out of the building!

bj

·
Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VNMOUS1,
Yeh,now we are talking.This is more consistant with what it should be.I have even seen it higher with just axle backs.I am glad you went some where else.Thanks BJ..........................07...........................
It's like little Shelby took her vitamins!!

bj

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's like little Shelby took her vitamins!!

bj
Drove mine to dyno last friday and it made.....................................

460.xx HP @ 6000 RPM SAE
445.xx lb ft TQ @ 4500 RPM SAE
78 deg F 30% humidity

This is bone STOCK no mods to exhaust, no tune, etc. As off train with exception of the J10 PCM reset as per PDI requirements. Just over 500 miles on clock when done

can I post a video clip of dyno runs? How do I?

·
Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove mine to dyno last friday and it made.....................................

460.xx HP @ 6000 RPM SAE
445.xx lb ft TQ @ 4500 RPM SAE
78 deg F 30% humidity

This is bone STOCK no mods to exhaust, no tune, etc. As off train with exception of the J10 PCM reset as per PDI requirements. Just over 500 miles on clock when done

can I post a video clip of dyno runs? How do I?

Cool beans. Sounds like ours are nearly twins!

bj

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I haven't been too happy the last couple of days either but I want to share this so everyone can make a mental note.I took my Shelby to get Dynoed Monday on a Mustang Dynamometer.Readings are usually lower than a Dyno Jet but mine put out 424 HP and 430 ft-lbs torque.This is bone stock with 2200 miles on it.Did 3 pulls and then went home.I did my usual,backed it in the garage closed the overhead door and opened the hood.When I put the prop in the hood I saw anti-freeze all over my engine compartment.It had even splashed up onto the fenders and windshield.My blood pressure went through the roof,I was furious.Well,I have cleaned most of it but I still keep finding spots.I went to work the next day and talked to John Moore who is the Shelby Project Manager.He offered to come by the house and fix it himself.He is a real car guy himself,great person.Well I couldn't find a leak anywhere.Drove it,got it nice and hot,beat on it a little and no leak.Went back to work and talked to John again.This is probably what happen.When I got it Dynoed they put a small fan to cool the radiater/engine.The fan was too small and it built up to much pressure on the way home after 3 pulls and relieved less than a quart of anti-freeze(what a mess a quart makes under pressure) through the radiater cap.I am telling you this because I have heard of this happening before on these Shelbys and it is all about cooling.So if you get yours Dynoed you might want to remember this,I know I'll never forget.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I haven't been too happy the last couple of days either but I want to share this so everyone can make a mental note.I took my Shelby to get Dynoed Monday on a Mustang Dynamometer.Readings are usually lower than a Dyno Jet but mine put out 424 HP and 430 ft-lbs torque.This is bone stock with 2200 miles on it.Did 3 pulls and then went home.I did my usual,backed it in the garage closed the overhead door and opened the hood.When I put the prop in the hood I saw anti-freeze all over my engine compartment.It had even splashed up onto the fenders and windshield.My blood pressure went through the roof,I was furious.Well,I have cleaned most of it but I still keep finding spots.I went to work the next day and talked to John Moore who is the Shelby Project Manager.He offered to come by the house and fix it himself.He is a real car guy himself,great person.Well I couldn't find a leak anywhere.Drove it,got it nice and hot,beat on it a little and no leak.Went back to work and talked to John again.This is probably what happen.When I got it Dynoed they put a small fan to cool the radiater/engine.The fan was too small and it built up to much pressure on the way home after 3 pulls and relieved less than a quart of anti-freeze(what a mess a quart makes under pressure) through the radiater cap.I am telling you this because I have heard of this happening before on these Shelbys and it is all about cooling.So if you get yours Dynoed you might want to remember this,I know I'll never forget.
07 My feelings exactly when I found my hose clamps were not doing their job. That white stuff is a bitch! Had the same problem but not under the same condtitions. Pressure, pressure, pressure! The stock systems just can't handle it.:rolleyes: Think we discussed this at one time or another. Must be DeJaVu all over again.:D :D Check out the thread: Shelby Issues!;)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( Sorry for the trouble you've had. Had to be really hard to see that under the hood mess..................:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ford really should not have gone with those "spring" clamps on the hoses. Stainless steel "worm gear" clamps are the way to go with this engine.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Ford really should not have gone with those "spring" clamps on the hoses. Stainless steel "worm gear" clamps are the way to go with this engine.

Didn't have any trouble with the clamps but sure wish they would have had an overflow tank or at least an overflow tube that went to the ground.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Didn't have any trouble with the clamps but sure wish they would have had an overflow tank or at least an overflow tube that went to the ground.
Did you definitely locate the source of your leak? Mine came from one of the upper radiator hoses. It was a very small leak that only leaked under pressure (high RPM's), but made a nice little mess. When we changed the clamps - no more leak. I certainly appreciate the frustration of your leakage and the mess it caused. Nothing worse than a wet, sticky almost transparent goo all over. Hope that's the end of it for you!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Did you definitely locate the source of your leak? Mine came from one of the upper radiator hoses. It was a very small leak that only leaked under pressure (high RPM's), but made a nice little mess. When we changed the clamps - no more leak. I certainly appreciate the frustration of your leakage and the mess it caused. Nothing worse than a wet, sticky almost transparent goo all over. Hope that's the end of it for you!

It didn't get cooled enough during dyno time and blew out the reservoir cap,ouch.There is no overflow tank or overflow tube so it had to come out somewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts