Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have discussed this before but needs to be repeated.AAI is starting to get a lot of warranty claims from highly modified Shelbys and are getting turned down for warranty work.Just a reminder to those of you bordering modifications.People are posting their mods and drag racing on you tube and similiar sites.Ford visits these sites also.Please use a little common sense to this approach.
Blown driveshafts and transmissions seems to be the claim of the day.Take heed.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, 07.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up, 07.

No problem.I have argued this point before but just want people to beware of the consequences.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
No problem.I have argued this point before but just want people to beware of the consequences.
I have noticed quite a few transmission and clutch issues lately on other boards. These folks have very few miles on their Shelbys and "claim" they have not been beating them up.

Have you noticed anything like that?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have noticed quite a few transmission and clutch issues lately on other boards. These folks have very few miles on their Shelbys and "claim" they have not been beating them up.

Have you noticed anything like that?
The ones I have seen have been beaten up, with videos,not good.I have seen burnout after burnout with the rubber smoke so thick you could barely see the car.They post their name, home town and video after video.
I am not talking about something legitimate,I am talking about HIGHLY MODIFIED SHELBYS.Remember the quote in the other thread,"you can't fix stupid".

·
Registered
933 Posts
07 SHELBY,

You're correct, you can't fix 'stupid', but hopefully when they get turned down for warranty coverage they realize how 'stupid' that stunt really was.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07 SHELBY,

You're correct, you can't fix 'stupid', but hopefully when they get turned down for warranty coverage they realize how 'stupid' that stunt really was.

Take care.
I agree and I am not as pure as the driven snow ,just a reminder to be aware of what you are doing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
07 SHELBY,

True, but it should be a reminder to all that if you choose to modifiy it to the nth degree, then drive it like a race car and damage it in the process then all bets are off.

It's common sense. Oh right...we are talking about 'stupid' after all.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is something to remember and it all goes back to being stupid, a profesional road racer knows how to pusj the car without taking it to the breaking point and although drag racing pushes the car beyond that there are reasons that people break things faster than others. I will not deny the fact that I do press the gas pedal pretty hard but I dont go to parking lots to see how much smoke I can make. I dont have the money to be replacing tires ona regular basis, and if anyone has looked at the list price of a new clutch from Ford its very expensive. I guess the concept is to enjoy the car but not abuse it. The package is designed as a whole, when you up something you will find a weak link, that is something that can go on for a while. Look at what KenneBell recomends after their big blower upgrade, get a new driveshaft, my point is they found the next weakest link and if anyone has ever seen a driveshaft go through the floor it is not pretty. I may only be 24 but I do have some common sense.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
07 SHELBY,

True, but it should be a reminder to all that if you choose to modifiy it to the nth degree, then drive it like a race car and damage it in the process then all bets are off.

It's common sense. Oh right...we are talking about 'stupid' after all.
Hey Arbour88, nothing to do with this post, but does Arbour88 have any connection to the legendary Al Arbour? Getting back to the post, most of us here are walking a fine line with modifications to our vehicles. We could follow the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but then it wouldn't be much fun. Beating on the vehicle in excess and filming it in the process for all to see, I would say, is the epidemy of STUPID. By the way 07 nice change up on the avatar. Remember, no photos and back to stock before visiting your dealer with warranty issues.;)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
"STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES"... Aesthetic changes won't hurt a thing. But you're right 07. Gotta be very careful with mechanical changes/enhancements. We all have some fun, but keep it resonable. And if you play too hard you pay.........

Only makes sense that Ford would say "SORRY CHARLIE" to an abused vehicle. Some people really do think "IT"S" a hat rack............:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
275 Posts
We have discussed this before but needs to be repeated.AAI is starting to get a lot of warranty claims from highly modified Shelbys and are getting turned down for warranty work.Just a reminder to those of you bordering modifications.People are posting their mods and drag racing on you tube and similiar sites.Ford visits these sites also.Please use a little common sense to this approach.
Blown driveshafts and transmissions seems to be the claim of the day.Take heed.
I noticed that many members look to you for direction. You stated the driveshaft failures in your thread and I wondered what members are doing to correct this. Do you have any insight on changing the driveshaft? I've seen aluminum and carbon fiber with a 20lb weight savings. Wouldn't the weight savings help with the transmission failures? Hoping you have answers. GGBIW

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed that many members look to you for direction. You stated the driveshaft failures in your thread and I wondered what members are doing to correct this. Do you have any insight on changing the driveshaft? I've seen aluminum and carbon fiber with a 20lb weight savings. Wouldn't the weight savings help with the transmission failures? Hoping you have answers. GGBIW

I have an aluminum driveshaft.Either driveshaft is a good idea.If you do any spirited driving I recommend it.Carbon is more expensive but probably a stronger driveshaft.I don't know to much about the transmission failures.If it is bad from the factory Ford will replace it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have an aluminum driveshaft.Either driveshaft is a good idea.If you do any spirited driving I recommend it.Carbon is more expensive but probably a stronger driveshaft.I don't know to much about the transmission failures.If it is bad from the factory Ford will replace it.
Thank you for responding. I'm going to go with the carbon fiber since you stated it was stonger. GGBIW:D

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
There have only been 3 documented tranny failures. One of them was someone ramming it toward reverse instead of 5th at an apparent high rate of travel. The other two were simple abuse.

Clutch failures are another thing. This far, they have had only a couple of failures due to defect. But, they've had more than a handful in total. The culprits are:

2nd and 3rd gear burnouts at the track or otherwise.

Slipping the clutch too much from a stop at a light. So much was made of the clutch chatter that people were *****-footing the thing and actually doing more harm than good. Evolution is still on their FIRST clutch with over 650 rwhp and countless passes on the strip. The difference is that they're NOT slipping the clutch. You can either leave the revs reaally low and let it out gently or you can go above 1300 and let it out quicker....but 900-1100 and you'll chatter. Nature of the beast.

I've added 3.73 gears which help a lot...and my tune is set for about 25 more ft lbs of torque way down low. Both work to resolve the issue.

bj

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There have only been 3 documented tranny failures. One of them was someone ramming it toward reverse instead of 5th at an apparent high rate of travel. The other two were simple abuse.

Clutch failures are another thing. This far, they have had only a couple of failures due to defect. But, they've had more than a handful in total. The culprits are:

2nd and 3rd gear burnouts at the track or otherwise.

Slipping the clutch too much from a stop at a light. So much was made of the clutch chatter that people were *****-footing the thing and actually doing more harm than good. Evolution is still on their FIRST clutch with over 650 rwhp and countless passes on the strip. The difference is that they're NOT slipping the clutch. You can either leave the revs reaally low and let it out gently or you can go above 1300 and let it out quicker....but 900-1100 and you'll chatter. Nature of the beast.

I've added 3.73 gears which help a lot...and my tune is set for about 25 more ft lbs of torque way down low. Both work to resolve the issue.

bj

Very helpful advice, VNMOUS1. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
BJ you are a wealth of information. Can always count on you to set the record straight.;) Where have you been? Nice to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
BJ you are a wealth of information. Can always count on you to set the record straight.;) Where have you been? Nice to hear from you.
Been outta my mind with work. The only time I get to post is on my mobile and for whatever reason it doesn't like this site. I can access Stangsunleashed and play around over there on the mobile. I have a new browser on here and looks like I may get to get back over here.

Glad to see you guys are all doing well. So, while I'm here...howdy to OldImp and '07!!! Hope to see everyone at AAI. We've decided to go there rather than Oklahoma.

bj

·
Registered
888 Posts
Been outta my mind with work. The only time I get to post is on my mobile and for whatever reason it doesn't like this site. I can access Stangsunleashed and play around over there on the mobile. I have a new browser on here and looks like I may get to get back over here.

Glad to see you guys are all doing well. So, while I'm here...howdy to OldImp and '07!!! Hope to see everyone at AAI. We've decided to go there rather than Oklahoma.

bj
Howdy right back at you, BJ! I've been enjoying your posts since you wandered back in! Sure hope I can make it up to AAI with you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts