Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Planes Drifter HPDE on Oct 2nd-3rd.

I just ran across this, so I figured I'd let those in the area be able to check into it if they might be interested.

I've never participated in something like this so I literally know nothing about it, so I will most definitely will be looking into participating.

Its at Heartland Park in Topeka

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,829 Posts

I just ran across this, so I figured I'd let those in the area be able to check into it if they might be interested.

I've never participated in something like this so I literally know nothing about it, so I will most definitely will be looking into participating.

You’ll find the track fun and addicting as HELL! 🤟

Some tips: you’ll need a helmet with a 2015 date or newer. You’ll be driving with the AC off and the windows open... Oct shouldn’t be too hot, but dress appropriately. Brakes and tires get a workout... grippy tires will give you better everything (acceleration, turning and braking). When you first enter the track, your tires are cold and not at their full potential yet... take it easy for a lap or two or three depending on how big the track is. Tire pressure... I don’t recall if your owner’s manual has a track tire pressure or not, but if it doesn’t, try 28 psi cold. The S197 GT500 will suffer from heat issues... keep an eye on IAT2 if you can, which will shoot up under boost. Also be aware of your brakes... if the pedal starts to feel softer or you notice braking distances increasing, it’s time to do a cool down lap or two and head in. Without adjustable camber plates and a track alignment, expect to add some good wear to the outsides of your tires, especially the fronts. Stay hydrated! You’ll get an arm/shoulder workout gripping the steering wheel holding yourself in the seat. Recaros help and a harness helps even more. Many tracks have on-site gas available, but check before you go. I take extra 93 with me, but I use a trailer.

Lastly, watch YouTube videos of the track before you go. Holler if you have any questions!

Reactions: Andretti

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
852 Posts

Ahhhh, Heartland Park! Been there many, many times for the NHRA drag races, and when it first opened, IMSA sports car racing. So many memories!

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Ahhhh, Heartland Park! Been there many, many times for the NHRA drag races, and when it first opened, IMSA sports car racing. So many memories!
Same here ... many, many years ago ... used to love to camp out on the 'berms' and watch all the different classes of road racing ... from Mustangs and Corvettes, to Porsches and Audis..... great sounds and memories. NHRA more recently ... even got tickets one year to sit in a suite in the timing tower .. "spoiled forever" now. Ran across the Director of Road Course Operations, Jeff Lacina, several years ago when they were trying to get the course back up and operating again ... nice guy .. hope they stay successful !! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts