Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I want to actually do a reverse swap. I want to remove my factory 2012 HID headlights and put in Halogen housings and then use LED bulbs.

Everything I have read says this can't be done. Does anyone have any information that shows it being possible?

I ask because there have been things on other vehicles that I have been able to figure out, even when it wasn't supposed to be possible.

But since this swap requires removing the front bumper, I figured I'd ask before removing the bumper, buying parts and trying to make it work.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,265 Posts
Hi everyone. I want to actually do a reverse swap. I want to remove my factory 2012 HID headlights and put in Halogen housings and then use LED bulbs.

Everything I have read says this can't be done. Does anyone have any information that shows it being possible?

I ask because there have been things on other vehicles that I have been able to figure out, even when it wasn't supposed to be possible.

But since this swap requires removing the front bumper, I figured I'd ask before removing the bumper, buying parts and trying to make it work.
Welcome to the forum!

I’d say anything is possible when modding these cars. It just takes time/effort.

Curious why you want to remove your HID lights...?

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

I’d say anything is possible when modding these cars. It just takes time/effort.

Curious why you want to remove your HID lights...?

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

Thank you. Looking forward to getting to know some people and learn more.

I want to use LEDs for a couple reasons. First and foremost because of the output compared to an HID is much better. 2nd, it's cheaper to replace an LED bulb.

3rd, I have my own brand of LEDs that I run in my other cars and the output and beam pattern is tremendously better than these HID headlights.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,265 Posts
Thank you. Looking forward to getting to know some people and learn more.

I want to use LEDs for a couple reasons. First and foremost because of the output compared to an HID is much better. 2nd, it's cheaper to replace an LED bulb.

3rd, I have my own brand of LEDs that I run in my other cars and the output and beam pattern is tremendously better than these HID headlights.
Very cool!

When you do the project, please post a thread in our DIY section for us to follow along:

·
Registered
382 Posts
this is the first I have ever heard anyone say LED is better than HID. Proof has been out there forever showing otherwise.
Also LED most certainly can be used in an projector housing. Without the intent of sounding rude, it would be foolish to remove a projector to go with a scatter housing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not talking about halogen bulbs with projector housing. I am talking about remocing HID bulbs and housing.

I have done numerous tests and good LED bulbs are much brighter than HID, Halogen in Reflector housings and Halogen in projector housings.

Bad quality LED bulb design is where you see HID having better output.

My LEDs are even broghter than factory LED. In fact new factory LED lights are brighter than HID.

I have had a few cars with HID and my LED lights are much brighter. All my cars with my LED bulbs blow away these HID lights.

Here is my site.

www.gearhead-lights.com

There are also other companies who have done testing and proven LED lights put out more light than HID.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts