Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone -

Have an 09 Vert. Currently it’s got
Bassani Stainless Steel AFT-CAT #4607SR5. Rest is stock. Not planning on changing mid pipe nor headers. My issue is its drone around 1700-2100 RPMs. In my opinion it’s too much especially cruzn on the highway between 60-65mph. Acceleration (little drone) can live with that but that constantly “nnnnnnn” I can’t (sorry).

I am looking into (but not limited in my thinking) to switching for Borla Axle-Back Exhaust System Touring Stainless Steel 2-1/2: #11752. Is this a axel back exhaust that
A) will be droneless??
B) easy flip (installing)??
C) Need to buy an Exhaust Hanger Kit?

Finally, any other recommendations? Im set on changing but open to help. I’m all ears please :)

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
For the 07-10 cars, it gets no better than Roush Extremes. Nice bark when you mash the pedal with no drone.

Reactions: 'cause

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,087 Posts
I have the Roush Extremes.
NO Drone at all at any where from 0 to 165, that should answer your question.

BUT, beware, IF you install a MRT H-pipe with the high flow cats, it will wake up the Motor, and by wake up it will make babies cry and grown men cover their ears if they are behind you. (All True)
This is NO exaggeration, ask ANYONE that was at Shelbyfest this year !!!!!!!

@03reptile
@nickf2005
@OMB
@blackcad55
@Rjstevens
@Goose17
@Hawkeye
etc., etc........

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
how about cruzn speed like 60-70mph
No drone. My son has Roush Extremes on his 2010 Mustang GT. They sound just like my Borla S on my 2011 GT500. You’ll love the Extremes on your 07-10 if the rest of your exhaust is stock.

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,124 Posts

BUT, beware, IF you install a MRT H-pipe with the high flow cats, it will wake up the Motor, and by wake up it will make babies cry and grown men cover their years if they are behind you. (All True)

@03reptile
@nickf2005
@OMB
@blackcad55
@Rjstevens
@Goose17
@Hawkeye
etc., etc........
True

·
Registered
2010 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with Silver Stripes. Gen3 VMP
287 Posts
I have Corsa sport with Kooks LTH and Kooks cats and it has 0 drone, and is quiet until I get my foot in it. Surprisingly quiet for what it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone use SR Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust Hanger Kit or of similar? Needed or no?

·
Registered
133 Posts
no need to buy the stainless hangers, unless yours are damaged or broken.

Reactions: Sigma6

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

BUT, beware, IF you install a MRT H-pipe with the high flow cats, it will wake up the Motor, and by wake up it will make babies cry and grown men cover their ears if they are behind you. (All True)

@03reptile
@nickf2005
@OMB
@blackcad55
@Rjstevens
@Goose17
@Hawkeye
etc., etc........
All -
there any video clips I could listen too of a otherwise stock gt500 (07-09) with the roush out back please? ;)

question #2: what is the difference between roush extreme axel and cat back?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
All -
there any video clips I could listen too of a otherwise stock gt500 (07-09) with the roush out back please? ;)

question #2: what is the difference between roush extreme axel and cat back?
Axle backs are just the mufflers. That’s all you need if all else is stock.

Reactions: Sigma6

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,715 Posts

@03reptile
@nickf2005
@OMB
@blackcad55
@Rjstevens
@Goose17
@Hawkeye
etc., etc........
I can attest to Ken's statement. Most of us suffered temporary hearing loss after being in close proximity to Ken's car when the engine was running. I saw dogs gathering together with a cease and desist order in their little paws!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I’ve tired on YouTube looking for exhaust clips of the roush Extremes on 07-09 GT500. Can find GT only, could anyone share theirs please?

appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I’ve tired on YouTube looking for exhaust clips of the roush Extremes on 07-09 GT500. Can find GT only, could anyone share theirs please?

appreciate the help.
I just put the Roush Extreme Axle Backs on my 2009 GT500 Vapor Silver Vert 4 days ago, lol.
Closest YouTube I found was on a 2010 GT500 white hardtop.
I have only driven it twice since, love the sound and no drone at highway speeds.
I took before and after video/sound clips on my phone, but do not know how to post them here 🤔
if you PM me your cell# I can send them to you if you like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just put the Roush Extreme Axle Backs on my 2009 GT500 Vapor Silver Vert 4 days ago, lol.
I have only driven it twice since, love the sound and no drone at highway speeds.
I took before and after video/sound clips on my phone, but do not know how to post them here 🤔
@dgstang pm inbound. Thanks again

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
We don’t have video capability here. You have to upload the videos to a site like YouTube and paste the link here.

Glad you like the Roush Extremes! They are always my recommendation for the 07-10 crowd.

Reactions: dgstang

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
@03reptile
@nickf2005
@OMB
@blackcad55
@Rjstevens
@Goose17
@Hawkeye
etc., etc........
I can attest to Ken's statement. Most of us suffered temporary hearing loss after being in close proximity to Ken's car when the engine was running. I saw dogs gathering together with a cease and desist order in their little paws!
Again, a simple WARNING... THESES ARE LOUD, not just a little loud, but obnoxiously loud.
I went back to check at SELBYFEST 21...
There was a Decibel Meter used on Saturday at the show. @Rjstevens Beast, his is also loud, his was measured and then mine was measured (mine twice, as some couldn't believe it) Mine with the MRT down pipes w/a H-pipe and Hi-Flo Cats and the Roush Extremes was measured at 129.4Db, a little more than RJ's... (sorry Mike and Nick) but it is so loud Nicks son who was on the other side of the road and my rear facing away from them, it made him cry...

Reactions: Rjstevens

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
Again, a simple WARNING... THESES ARE LOUD, not just a little loud, but obnoxiously loud.
I went back to check at SELBYFEST 21...
There was a Decibel Meter used on Saturday at the show. @Rjstevens Beast, his is also loud, his was measured and then mine was measured (mine twice, as some couldn't believe it) Mine with the MRT down pipes w/a H-pipe and Hi-Flo Cats and the Roush Extremes was measured at 129.4Db, a little more than RJ's... (sorry Mike and Nick) but it is so loud Nicks son who was on the other side of the road and my rear facing away from them, it made him cry...
So as to not scare off others looking at possibly getting the Extremes, Ken’s car has extensive mods, with other exhaust mods. The mufflers alone are not crazy loud. They have a nice deep burble with a solid bite at WOT, but nothing crazy.

My other son has SLP Loudmouth mufflers on his 2011 5.0...now those are stupid loud!

Reactions: 'cause

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
So as to not scare off others looking at possibly getting the Extremes, Ken’s car has extensive mods,......
Well.....

….maybe a couple.
:cool:

I did start with putting on Hood Struts !!!

...my mistake was ever opening the hood

1 - 20 of 25 Posts