Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting delivery of my 2009 gt 500 and I'm getting all my parts ready. I already ordered the wheels and tires. I know want to order a lowering kit. I basiclly just want it lowered for the look, I dont track the car often, I was interested in the ford lowering kit but was told that it dosent have everything I need? How is that possible the website says it does. I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am waiting delivery of my 2009 gt 500 and I'm getting all my parts ready. I already ordered the wheels and tires. I know want to order a lowering kit. I basiclly just want it lowered for the look, I dont track the car often, I was interested in the ford lowering kit but was told that it dosent have everything I need? How is that possible the website says it does. I'm confused.
By lowering, you mean the FRPP handling package? If so, then yes, other items are needed in order to retain the driveline geometry, which are LCA lowering (relocation) brackets, and adj UCA. Adj Camber plates also help in a better front end alignment after you lower, which a shop will need to verify afterwards. Many vendors listed have them. Do research before you buy. Many threads here talk about lowering, and what others have done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All this is new to me can anyone list what I would need. I know it's crazy but I liked the ford handeling pac because it was all blue.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
All this is new to me can anyone list what I would need. I know it's crazy but I liked the ford handeling pac because it was all blue.
There's a difference between the handling pack and lowering package. FRPP lowering springs, struts of your choice (Ford, Q1 or Tokico D-Specs all work. Q1's generally become noisy. I have D-Specs and love them.) You also need an adjustable panhard rod in order to center up the rear end once you've lowered it. The wheels will stick out on one side and you won't be driving "true" down the road.

bj

·
Registered
233 Posts
All this is new to me can anyone list what I would need. I know it's crazy but I liked the ford handling pac because it was all blue.
I lowered mine with J&M UCA, LCAs and adjustable panhard bar, all made in sunny SoCal by a great bunch of machinists. I used Vogtland Sport Springs, and did all this for around $1.1K installed. I did not replace the stock Tokicos..yet. The car was lowered 1.2" and maintains the rake ratio of the car. I like the ride alot, and don't scrape on every little variation on the roadways and driveways. My project now is to improve the lateral handling of the car, ie. get rid of the fish-tailing which is the down-stroke on eliminating the wheel-hop, by doing the above. Hence my thread on improving stickiness of the rear-end. The way my car is now, if I even give it a moderate kick in a gentle curve, the ass-end breaks away. Of course this is inherent in a solid-rear axle 3 point suspension, but I refuse to give up until I get to at least 80% of a Ferrari handling factor. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lowered mine with J&M UCA, LCAs and adjustable panhard bar, all made in sunny SoCal by a great bunch of machinists. I used Vogtland Sport Springs, and did all this for around $1.1K installed. I did not replace the stock Tokicos..yet. The car was lowered 1.2" and maintains the rake ratio of the car. I like the ride alot, and don't scrape on every little variation on the roadways and driveways. My project now is to improve the lateral handling of the car, ie. get rid of the fish-tailing which is the down-stroke on eliminating the wheel-hop, by doing the above. Hence my thread on improving stickiness of the rear-end. The way my car is now, if I even give it a moderate kick in a gentle curve, the ass-end breaks away. Of course this is inherent in a solid-rear axle 3 point suspension, but I refuse to give up until I get to at least 80% of a Ferrari handling factor. ;)
How did it feel after install. You got any pix

·
Registered
233 Posts
How did it feel after install. You got any pix
Feels alot better, hop is gone, however now replaced with a bit more fish-tailing. I probably will be doing some more tweeks to the suspension in the form of D-Specs or coil-overs. The handling is great overall though, I am just trying to really glue the car to the road. The other mod will be possibly 19" CCW wheels and BF Goodrich KDW tires. Here are a couple of pics since the lowering.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts