Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am expecting my baby to show up in mid October and i am planning to use the car as a daily driver when the weather is decent. Do i need to worry about heat soak from the supercharger? my commute is short, but i am worried about traffic congestion. if heat soak is an issue, how hard is it to improve the inter-cooler?

·
Registered
109 Posts
i am expecting my baby to show up in mid October and i am planning to use the car as a daily driver when the weather is decent. Do i need to worry about heat soak from the supercharger? my commute is short, but i am worried about traffic congestion. if heat soak is an issue, how hard is it to improve the inter-cooler?
My 08 is a daily driver (in good or bad weather) except really cold days. Never had a problem with heat. I am in stop and go traffic for about 10 miles of my 27 mile (one way) commute. I go everywhere in this car and have sat in many traffic jams with no problems.

I believe heat soak is only an issue for those that drive the car really really hard, 1/4 mile at a time.

Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Mike. i have been reading these threads and have seen heat soak mentioned somewhat, so i thought id ask. i have never had a supercharged car before, so i am not familiar with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
thanks for the reply Mike. i have been reading these threads and have seen heat soak mentioned somewhat, so i thought id ask. i have never had a supercharged car before, so i am not familiar with it.
This should take care of your needs. I will be installing one soon.

http://www.revanracing.com/

Ford GT500 Dual Pass / Dual Puller Fan Air To Water Heat Exchangers remove maximum heat from the intake side air. Dropping inlet temps as much as 50 degs. Racers have told us that they are getting noticeable gains in all areas with the cooler air. A huge advantage in high rpm settings and at the track.

US Made from Shelby for road racers, strip and street. Beautiful Aluminum finish, made to the highest tolerances with compact twin fans. Easy installation with instructions.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Heat soak is not something that registers on the temp gauge. The car will take care of itself. IE it will not boil over and leave you stranded in traffic......BUT...on hot days, say anything over 60deg F, your performance after 20 minutes of driving will be FAR reduced from when you started cold. This is heat soak. Installing the upgraded intercooler heat exchanger drasticly improves this.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that lowering the cylinder head temps by use of the upgraded radiator and thermostat also lowers heat transfer into the intercooler that is bolted inbetween the two heads and all three are aluminum, ie good heat transfer. I know that lower cylinder head temps lead to lower charge temps effectivly lowering the engine's octane requirement, or in our case allowing a bit more timing to stay in.

I can say that with the Ford radiator, at low rpm on a hot engine I could get a slight ping if I hit WOT so I had learned to avoid it. With the C&R radiator and my previoulsy installed incorrect 180deg thermostat, that condition is GONE and the engine compartment is noticeably cooler after my drive home.

Just a data point to consider. The upgraded cooling components WILL improve a daily driver.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Heat soak is not something that registers on the temp gauge. The car will take care of itself. IE it will not boil over and leave you stranded in traffic......BUT...on hot days, say anything over 60deg F, your performance after 20 minutes of driving will be FAR reduced from when you started cold. This is heat soak. Installing the upgraded intercooler heat exchanger drasticly improves this.

I suspect (but cannot prove) that lowering the cylinder head temps by use of the upgraded radiator and thermostat also lowers heat transfer into the intercooler that is bolted inbetween the two heads and all three are aluminum, ie good heat transfer. I know that lower cylinder head temps lead to lower charge temps effectivly lowering the engine's octane requirement, or in our case allowing a bit more timing to stay in.

I can say that with the Ford radiator, at low rpm on a hot engine I could get a slight ping if I hit WOT so I had learned to avoid it. With the C&R radiator and my previoulsy installed incorrect 180deg thermostat, that condition is GONE and the engine compartment is noticeably cooler after my drive home.

Just a data point to consider. The upgraded cooling components WILL improve a daily driver.
JC,
Did you swap back the the OEM t-stat? I have been following the thread on the other one, but I don't have any problems with the NAPA t-stat i put in. We are just north of you in GA.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You live in BC so NO, YOU don't have to worry about heat soak. You may have to worry about freezing you azz off though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heat soak is most noticable 1/4 mile at a time. Again, my 07 is a daily driver--day, night, traffic, no traffic, summer in KY is both hot and humid. Heat soak is not a problem, but I appreciate your concerns, this is my first supercharged car, also.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
FYI, In regards to changing out thermostats, most will agree that there hasn't really been a "perfect" replacement out there for our vehicles... But I came across this today, good reading and looks to be a VERY solid product.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/index/manufacturers_id/364?zenid=bfmkv24mq9jnldl5dq2712obq5

I drive my car EVERY day, in lots of traffic too, and it never really gets too hot. But I will be adding the dual pass Heat Exchanger later on, just because a cooler running car will last longer and perform better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Heat soak is most noticable 1/4 mile at a time. Again, my 07 is a daily driver--day, night, traffic, no traffic, summer in KY is both hot and humid. Heat soak is not a problem, but I appreciate your concerns, this is my first supercharged car, also.

Have fun!
That was the point of my post. Heat soak IS your problem. The computer pulls timing any time the intake air temp (after the supercharger and intercooler) is above 100 deg. IAT2 temps are easily 130 deg on a car that has been in traffic or low speed driving for 20 minutes or so. The factory cooling system is adequet for protecting the engine, but NOT GOOD ENOUGH to not limit performance in ambient temps above about 60deg F. You WILL see dramatic improvements in warm engine performance in KY. Heat soak is NOT the engine overheating.

·
Registered
300 Posts
JC,
Did you swap back the the OEM t-stat? I have been following the thread on the other one, but I don't have any problems with the NAPA t-stat i put in. We are just north of you in GA.
I still have the napa 180 that many are running but I have the new one from Lethal on order (actually it shipped today so hoping to install this weekend). with the napa stat, it runs a bit cooler in street driving but easily overheated on the track at Hallet this summer. 8 laps at a time was all I could manage before engine protect mode came in. I hope for much better next year.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
So what is the temp rating on the stock thermostat?

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500
692 Posts
While my Shelby is not a daily driver, I did get caught in stop and go traffic once for 50 minutes. I promised myself never to let that happen again. Your left foot will get sore from pushing the clutch in and out. Traffic with a 6 speed is a big time drag. The temperature outside was about 98 and I ran the A/C the entire time without seeing any temperature increase on the gauge. The only time heat soak becomes of interest is when you are racing the car.

Mike
’09 GT 500 Red with White

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know any other way to say this. Little Shelby you DID experience heat soak. Has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TEMP GAUGE. You have no gauge for inlet air temps. I can assure you in that heat your IAT2s were very high, well over 130 and should you use the throttle at all, you would have noticed performance was not what it was on a crisp cool morining and that is because the engine control pulls timing as the temp of the air in the cylinders rises.

Now I cannot tell you if the increased performace on the street is worth the cost to fix for you...to each is own I suppose but a stock GT500 after20 minutes in 90 deg traffic is pretty slow....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i want to thank all of the responders, your input has made me feel more comfortable about driving this car on a regular basis. i dont plan to "race" the car, but i know that if i get stuck behind a Carrola going slow in the passing lane, ill swear loudly and mat the throttle to get around it, holding the shifter in my right hand, kneeing the steering wheel, and raising my finger at the person hiding below the steering wheel of the rice non-rocket! many thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stock is 195*

·
Registered
994 Posts
I still have the napa 180 that many are running but I have the new one from Lethal on order (actually it shipped today so hoping to install this weekend). with the napa stat, it runs a bit cooler in street driving but easily overheated on the track at Hallet this summer. 8 laps at a time was all I could manage before engine protect mode came in. I hope for much better next year.
Can you post any differences you notice after the swap?
Thanks,
dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the good info!

I ended up ordering the new Velocity Triple Pass H/E, Intercooler and Heat Shield Gaskets. I saw some pretty amazing results and they were better than most so I pulled the trigger.

I read a bunch about it on SVTP, one of their most prominent members just got more parts then I did so I figured that he knew something that I did not? I also read that the dude installing and tuning it is the dude that owns Modular Fords. From what I hear he was pretty impressed with the data that is on record (I tried to find other data but to no avail).

I didn't find this forum till yesterday and it seem to me like you all know quite a bit of details regarding the heat soaking issue so I figured I would ask you guys if I made the right purchase??

BTW, one of the reasons that I went with the intercooler, other than the more efficient and consistent boost cooling, was that I didn't have to do the bypass modification. The intercooler had a lower deck height so that the bypass didn't block 1/3 of the intercooler anymore. I just didn't really want to start having some fab guy start hacking up my intake in the hopes that he doesn't totally destroy it!

Also if you guys know of some other cooling mods that I could do to further increase the systems overall efficiency please PM me.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts