Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At low load when the by-pass valve is open, your intercooler isn't all that relevant anyway. Air is circulating through the intercooler and up through the by-pass valve, and re-circulating again. You're just not going to notice much cool down through the intercooler in that scenario. I do think you need to be circulating coolant through the intercooler system. Coolant does need to circulate through the HE, so you need a functioning pump and no air pocket in the system.

Once you get over 15 mph, airflow through the HE core is surpassing what the fans can suck through the core. Unless the by-pass is closed (WOT), I think monitoring/logging IAT2s is pretty much a waste of time.

Circulating coolant through the intercooler brick, absent any airflow (engine off), isn't going to do a great deal to cool down the intake and the supercharger. I just don't think fans are quite the benefit they're made out to be.

The video I referred to earlier is not working, but it's worth a view when it is available. I am going the big core, no fan route. I'll post up by observations once we get into the heat of summer. Without fans, the HE can be placed closer to the condenser to get the benefit of some airflow using the radiator fan.
I agree, after experimenting with the HE fans on my Whipple 2012 GT, I really didn't see any benefit to having them. I was planning on getting an upgraded HE on the Shelby before the weather gets hot and after reading through the above link from Dept of Boost, I am not going to get fans on it. I was really curious what everyone's experiences we're without fans since the only setup I had was with them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Or we could do what the Jeep XJ guys do...install hood spacers....?
Ive done that on a number of cars over the last 20 yrs or so. It deff helps, but it looks horrible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive done that on a number of cars over the last 20 yrs or so. It deff helps, but it looks horrible.
It does look terrible. I can't bring myself to do it to my 1998 XJ. Bu then again, my XJ doesn't overheat on the trails.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,358 Posts
I added fans to my Afco HE and the only difference they make is when I am sitting in traffic stopped. They keep the IA2 temps from going through the roof if you are running stop light to stop light. I installed a switch to cut them off when running the hyw etc. as they actually impair air flow at speed, also do not run in winter, temps below 50.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I added fans to my Afco HE and the only difference they make is when I am sitting in traffic stopped. They keep the IA2 temps from going through the roof if you are running stop light to stop light. I installed a switch to cut them off when running the hyw etc. as they actually impair air flow at speed, also do not run in winter, temps below 50.
How do you like the Afco HE? That’s the one I’m looking at without fans.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How do you like the Afco HE? That’s the one I’m looking at without fans.
I have the AFCO Pro with fans. I can tell you this is basically the smallest aftermarket you can buy. It barely has more surface area than stock 13/14 units.
If I were to buy one again, I would probably go with the CR or VMP triple. Now I have heard from people that have literally tried them all with same/similar results between all of them, for the same money I'd feel better anyway about having more surface area.

I think the end result is you will generally have about a 30* delta between IAT1 and 2 with any HE you pick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you logged the difference in IAT2 at stop and at cruise and load with and without the fans? I have always been curious of this but have not had the desire to disconnect my fans to test.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have the AFCO Pro with fans. I can tell you this is basically the smallest aftermarket you can buy. It barely has more surface area than stock 13/14 units.
If I were to buy one again, I would probably go with the CR or VMP triple. Now I have heard from people that have literally tried them all with same/similar results between all of them, for the same money I'd feel better anyway about having more surface area.

I think the end result is you will generally have about a 30* delta between IAT1 and 2 with any HE you pick.
Is there a difference in the AFCO HE w/fans vs AFCO HE w/o fans, besides the fans? I thought I recalled reading in another forum that the AFCO Pro w/fans (80280PRO) had a different HE design than the HE w/o fans (80280NDP). If I remember correct, the HE without fans had more surface area? I'll see if I can find the forum tonight.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,358 Posts
Is there a difference in the AFCO HE w/fans vs AFCO HE w/o fans, besides the fans? I thought I recalled reading in another forum that the AFCO Pro w/fans (80280PRO) had a different HE design than the HE w/o fans (80280NDP). If I remember correct, the HE without fans had more surface area? I'll see if I can find the forum tonight.

true because of the fan mounting frame, on the without fans surface area statement, I purchased the AFCO without fans and purchased two Dural sp? 7 inch fans from summit and installed them, did the wiring myself.They mount direct to the core without the frame.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,358 Posts
Have you logged the difference in IAT2 at stop and at cruise and load with and without the fans? I have always been curious of this but have not had the desire to disconnect my fans to test.

I actually did on a 90+deg day. I saw about 155 ish deg IA2 temps right off the light with the fans off after sitting in trafic. If I ran the fans for 10 min or so and did more stop light sit in trafic, saw the temps in the high 130s. I then added water meth and got the temps to drop about 5 more deg 200ish ml nozzel. It took about 5 or six seconds for the 5 deg meth temp drop, so that really is only really good for a long pull. I used the small meth shot for cooling only, did not change timing or fuel. I can turn it off and on as I see the need.Really should have used a 50 shot of nox, really think that would be much more effective, but I spent the time putting the meth kit in, and now do not really want to change it?

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,358 Posts

As you stated, they all have about the same temp drop, so I went cheap and got the AFCO without fans and spent about 100 bucks and added the fans myself

21 - 32 of 32 Posts