Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had a problem with condensation in your headlamp lens.

I took mine to the dealer and they said that mine has what they call "normal condensation".

Note that my car has never even been driven in the rain yet.

They showed me pics of what is normal and what is not. Unless you have standing water or full droplets it is considered normal.

This sucks because one of the first things people seem to point to when you show the car is the condensation.:mad:

I'm either going to take the lens apart and try to re-seal it myself or do the SuperSnake look and black them out.

Does anyone know where I can buy the black outs for the front and rear lenses?

Thanks Cal

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Cal,
I have seen the smoked covers on the yhe scottdrake.net site. Apparently this is a team site for all the Carroll Shelby licenced parts. They must be having trouble with their site today, as i have not been able to open the winter catalog today.
JR

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have any of you had a problem with condensation in your headlamp lens.

I took mine to the dealer and they said that mine has what they call "normal condensation".

Note that my car has never even been driven in the rain yet.

They showed me pics of what is normal and what is not. Unless you have standing water or full droplets it is considered normal.

This sucks because one of the first things people seem to point to when you show the car is the condensation.:mad:

I'm either going to take the lens apart and try to re-seal it myself or do the SuperSnake look and black them out.

Thanks Cal
If you have condensation in the headlights that is not normal and should be replaced under warranty your dealer is giving you a load of BS. I have driven my car in the rain and in different temperatures and have never seen any condensation inside the headlights. I say go to another dealership and get them replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ginson3 and I agree with you elite. Any condensation is not acceptable to me.

The service manager had actual photos on sheets as to what Ford claims to be acceptable.

The car is in hibernation now but I'll take it to another dealer when the weather permits or I'll just take it apart and seal it myself over the winter.

Thanks Cal

·
Registered
45 Posts

Thanks Cal
Some companies make vinyl overlays for the headlights and taillights of the new body mustangs. In my opinion, if you are halfway decent at applying paint, VHT nightshades is the way to go. This is a translucent paint often used to black out headlights and taillight and allows light to pass through. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/vhtnigpain.html

The main advantage of the paint is that you can control how dark or light you want the lense to come out, vinyls and pre-smoked lights only come in one shade.

The best way to apply this stuff is actually on the inside of the lense. Remove your headlights and "bake" them in the oven for a couple min. to heat the silicon sealer. Just pull apart the light housing and apply the paint to the inside. This allows the headlight to retain the glossy plastic look of the stick lense.

If you are afraid of baking your light, then it can be applied to the exterior of the lense, but you will have to wetsand the paint between coats to ensure the glossy look.

Here is a thread on my other forum dedicated to blacked out headlight and taillight photos:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236125&highlight=smoke+headlight

Looks pretty bad ass IMO...

·
Registered
45 Posts
OOh and by the way, condensation in your headlights is NOT normal. If water was meant to enter the headlight housing, then why would Ford spend the time sealing them to ensure that they were water proof!?

Here is a helpful Do-it-yourself from American Muscle on how to eleminate condensation. It has worked for friends of mine in the past with the same issue..

http://www.americanmuscle.com/headlight-condensation-remedy.html

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks X STI C.

The links have alot of very helpful info.

I'm really liking the smoked look.:cool:

Cal:)

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not a problem harley. The vinyls overlays are very nice as well. I like how the company above has various shades to choose from.

The main advantage of the vinyls is that they are temporary, but wear and develop knicks and chips from rocks that show through, especially when the lights are turned on and clear light passes through.

Blacked out is the way to go!! Very aggressive looking IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blacked out is the way to go!! Very aggressive looking IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the blacked out should look good in contrast with the white paint and tinted windows.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cal,
White is so fast it's smokin. Always something.

ILLEGAL
Ever see that vapor trail off a jets wing? I think that's where the moisture is coming from.:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Harley,

I have the same condensation problem with the drivers side light. Were you able to fix it? I haven't gone to the dealer yet. I can't stand messing with those guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I guess I'll be eating crow for dinner. I scored a small victory today...full replacement is on order and will be installed when it comes in...free of charge! Thanks Joe Cooper Ford!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts