Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put on some kooks headers. Has anybody out there done the install. Does anyone reccomend not putting on headers and is there anything bad that can happen just by puting on some headers.Any info would help.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I want to put on some kooks headers. Has anybody out there done the install. Does anyone reccomend not putting on headers and is there anything bad that can happen just by puting on some headers.Any info would help.
Less restriction in the exhaust and better breathing of the engine is always a good thing. I have not intalled headers on a vehicle since 1967 on my 4-4-2. Hooker was my header of choice at the time. The problem I had back then was they would heat up my starter motor, creating starting problems. I also had problems with blowing exhaust manifold gaskets as the headers did not seat properly due to the welding of the exhaust ports and the manifold plate. I am sure things have come a long way since then and as a matter of caution some heat wrap or shielding may be necessary to avoid such problems if the headers were to come too close to sensitive components. I know my sons, who have Subaru's, have had ceramic or heat shielding installed to prevent such heating problems with sensitive components. I understand the stock exhaust manifolds are considered to be quite efficient on the GT500 so you may want to think twice before installing after market headers on the Shelby.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less restriction in the exhaust and better breathing of the engine is always a good thing. I have not intalled headers on a vehicle since 1967 on my 4-4-2. Hooker was my header of choice at the time. The problem I had back then was they would heat up my starter motor, creating starting problems. I also had problems with blowing exhaust manifold gaskets as the headers did not seat properly due to the welding of the exhaust ports and the manifold plate. I am sure things have come a long way since then and as a matter of caution some heat wrap or shielding may be necessary to avoid such problems if the headers were to come too close to sensitive components. I know my sons, who have Subaru's, have had ceramic or heat shielding installed to prevent such heating problems with sensitive components. I understand the stock exhaust manifolds are considered to be quite efficient on the GT500 so you may want to think twice before installing after market headers on the Shelby.
Thanks for your input, if I do the headers I will be sure to do something about the heat.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Actually, headers have little to no effect on blown street engines (low comression with alternative aspiration). Unless you've gone "whole hog" with the GT(40) cams, different blower, larger FI, you'll never notice the difference in anything except that tinny ping of headers.

They can't be installed with the motor in the mounts, so assume $600-$700 labor on top of the price of the headers.

Not worth it. Pay someone to wash and wax it for you instead.

bj

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the engine has to be raised up to install the long tube headers? And do they make it alot louder than just having axlebacks because I can get Borlas from borladirect.com for 448.00.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You heard the man. Except for a distinct ping spend the money on a good wash and wax. VNMOUS1 knows his stuff.;)

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
So the engine has to be raised up to install the long tube headers? And do they make it alot louder than just having axlebacks because I can get Borlas from borladirect.com for 448.00.
Yep, you do. And no, it's not. It's just different. But the Borla axlebacks and save the dough.

bj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts