Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First what is anyone have an opinion on what type of headers are the best for the GT 500, secondly what is your opinion on the Whipple 2.9 L VS the 3.4L, and 2.8 Kenne Bell?

·
Registered
196 Posts
First what is anyone have an opinion on what type of headers are the best for the GT 500, secondly what is your opinion on the Whipple 2.9 L VS the 3.4L, and 2.8 Kenne Bell?
I'm leaning towards Kooks now..originally was going towards American Racing (figuring they were the wheel company). Have since found that some of them worked for Kooks and have been around only a short time.

Kooks has a great reputation with 03-04 guys...expensive, but great quality! I will eventually get a new s/c. I don't track the car so the 3.4 is vastly overkill IMO plus you need to drop the engine or get a new hood...the 2.9 fits under the hood TMU. All that being said, I have a problem being second fiddle...soooo the 3.4 may be in my future.;)

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
You forgot the TVS s/c. Many people are going to be going this route.

The 2.9 will not be out from what I understand for a few more months. The 3.4 you need to lower your motor and do some other changes from what I understand. The KB is really good but some people are having some issues with the BAP and not really wanting to go that route.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Kerry,
As you already know I have the KOOKS -long tube headers and am very happy with them.I also recomend that you put them on yourself.LOL.:D

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
Kerry,
As you already know I have the KOOKS -long tube headers and am very happy with them.I also recomend that you put them on yourself.LOL.:D
yea those bloody knuckles and long hours over mutiple days in the garage sounds like a really good time!!!:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
We went with 3" Bassani longtubes and exhaust system. Headers will be thermal coated to help with the heat.
Wanted the 2.9 Whipple, didn't want to wait. It may be longer then you all think before we see that blower.
Went with the TVS. Evo and Justin (VMP) have had some great results with this blower.
The KB won't fit under the strut brace, with out some mods. Two other owners have lost the motor both running the KB.
The 3.4 Whipple is very large and I don't plan on drag racing. You will need to lower your motor and or get a new hood.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We went with 3" Bassani longtubes and exhaust system. Headers will be thermal coated to help with the heat.
Wanted the 2.9 Whipple, didn't want to wait. It may be longer then you all think before we see that blower.
Went with the TVS. Evo and Justin (VMP) have had some great results with this blower.
The KB won't fit under the strut brace, with out some mods. Two other owners have lost the motor both running the KB.
The 3.4 Whipple is very large and I don't plan on drag racing. You will need to lower your motor and or get a new hood.
I went with the Bassanis as well but when purchased the stainless was not available in thermal coating. Did they change this on new production or are yours not stainless?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
GT500-07
Just a word of advice. If you are experiencing clutch and tranny issues, get it done before the header install. The tranny can not be dropped without taking off the long tube headers. Long tube headers are an install anyone would like to do once on these cars. I do not know how much of a gain the long tube are over the shorties, but if I had to do it over again I think I would seriously consider the shorties or stick with the stock manifolds.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_33&products_id=250

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My accessment and conclusions...............

Even though I have Stainless Steel Works headers & 3" exhaust I think the American racing headers are a great choice.( they weren't available when I got mine )
Note : the fellow who started the Co used to be the head fabricator for Kooks.

I am going with the TVS mainly because :
(1)Very efficent esp up to 18lbs of boost ( I don't want any more than 16lbs myself )650 to 700 rwhp is way more than I need or want esp since the internals will be at risk over 637rwhp.(750fwhp)
(2) Fits under the brace
(3) Doesn't need any fuel system changes that could fail leading to catostropic engine failure as we have seen in some KB apps. (IE: boost-a-pumps ,mass air extenders ect )

George.....

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am patiently awaiting the Whipple 2.9 as I would prefer a screw type over a roots as we all know what kind of heat these motors are generating with a roots.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kerry,

Hey Fred I heard that you are a professional at this, think you might make a road trip over this way:rolleyes:

As far as Superchargers I am not worried about room I have a different hood so it will fit any one of them. I was inquiring which one gives you the most bang for the money without having to change any internal parts, don't want to do that. Nor do I want overkill, I guess I would like the one that you can stay with no internal modification but get the most power out of if that makes any since.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Hey Fred I heard that you are a professional at this, think you might make a road trip over this way:rolleyes:

As far as Superchargers I am not worried about room I have a different hood so it will fit any one of them. I was inquiring which one gives you the most bang for the money without having to change any internal parts, don't want to do that. Nor do I want overkill, I guess I would like the one that you can stay with no internal modification but get the most power out of if that makes any since.

Heck yeh.Get me a lounge chair and a 12 pack and I'll come over and watch.:D

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Fred, I think Cal is right we might need a case or two considering how long it took you to do yours plus you know he is a heavy drinker:p . Thats one job I would not look forward to do. Just got done putting the Porterfield brake pads on the front going to start on the back here in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hey Fred, I think Cal is right we might need a case or two considering how long it took you to do yours plus you know he is a heavy drinker:p . Thats one job I would not look forward to do. Just got done putting the Porterfield brake pads on the front going to start on the back here in a few minutes.
Hey, I resemble that remark.:p

I finally ordered the Porterfields Friday. You can come and do mine after they get here since you have experience.;) :rolleyes: :D

Cal

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

I finally ordered the Porterfields Friday. You can come and do mine after they get here since you have experience.;) :rolleyes: :D

Cal
More beer,better go shopping.;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Cal
That sound familar, how did Fred put it get me a lounge chair and a 12 pack and I will come and watch.:p ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts