Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful 08 white with black stripe GT500 and am ready to start playing. I've had a couple of mustangs built by a performance shop near me with incredible results and will be sending this car to them for the CAI,tune and pulley package in the next couple of weeks. My question centers around the exhaust package. These guys are steadfastly against me doing headers of any sort, in fact, they say it's not worth even adding an off-road x-pipe, just not enough power gain for money spent. Now, I'm not looking to empty my wallet, but I really thought these cars picked up decent numbers with headers and off-road x-pipes. I will undoubtedly bolt on the off-road x-pipe and magnaflow magnapack system for the sound, but I'm really on the fence about the headers. I would really like to hear from those of you have bit-off the header install and those of you who haven't bothered.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm a proud new owner of a beautiful 08 white with black stripe GT500 and am ready to start playing. I've had a couple of mustangs built by a performance shop near me with incredible results and will be sending this car to them for the CAI,tune and pulley package in the next couple of weeks. My question centers around the exhaust package. These guys are steadfastly against me doing headers of any sort, in fact, they say it's not worth even adding an off-road x-pipe, just not enough power gain for money spent. Now, I'm not looking to empty my wallet, but I really thought these cars picked up decent numbers with headers and off-road x-pipes. I will undoubtedly bolt on the off-road x-pipe and magnaflow magnapack system for the sound, but I'm really on the fence about the headers. I would really like to hear from those of you have bit-off the header install and those of you who haven't bothered.
Fred @ Evolution Performance says you get about 30 rwhp with long tube headers. I say go for it. Plus the headers make it sound so mean.

If you are doing a CAI, tune & pulley plus headers, x-pipe, cats, I suggest looking into the Evolution Stage 4 package. It includes all that plus a lower balancer pulley and a 160mm mono-blade throttle body. $4,650. I'm getting 606 rwhp with mine.

Just a warning: Installing headers on these cars is a major PITA. My guy charged me $400. After that he said he would never do it again for less than $800.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As I understand it you need to pull the motor to add the headers. Not sure I would do that for 30 Hp.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ahhh.

The joy of getting pissed-off while installing headers. Nothing quite matches that.

I consider myself a very patient man. I'll NEVER install another set of headers and will happily go to the grave saying so - until my son asks for help - then I'll give him some advice, pay someone else to do it.

That being said, I've got no headers on mine. Planning to install a nice stereo system and don't want to drown out the sounds for a loud exhaust....even if it is 30 extra HP. This is my DD after all.

TD

·
Registered
240 Posts
I added headers and removed the cats when I reinstalled my engine. Personally if you are being selective on parts and want to increase power headers is not going to give you much bang for the buck. I installed them on mine because I already had the motor out, installed the GT cams and wanted to get the most breathing possible. I also had mine hotjet coated. One other thing to be aware of if you are lowering your engine for aftermarket SC, you may have some interferance issues with the shaft on your steering column that runs past the headers. Mine bearly rubs on my header sometimes when turning and I can feel it in the steering wheel. It is not affecting anything but it is annoying. I will be pulling the column shaft and dimpling the header where it is rubbing to provide the clearance soon.

12 Posts
I installed a set by myself at my shop & it took 7.9 hours,NO, you don't have to pull the motor or drop the K memeber although I might drop the k next time just to see if it's any different.I installed a set of American Racing long tubes,catted xpipe & a set of the bassani street mufflers & it is one of the best sounding cars I have ever heard,be forewarned though the street mufflers don't fit the 500's very good go with the Basaani race mufflers they are still very quiet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts