Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

301 - 316 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember adults telling me when I was a teenager that some day cars wouldn't have the fascination they did then. I drove so many piles of crap while saving my money so I could drive a really decent performance vehicle. I'm just making up for lost time! Are you telling me you don't get a thrill stepping out on a corner or hitting a higher speed mark on occasion? Good Lord I just knew someone was going to throw a chinese grade wrench at me!!! Nico

Gotta go back to polishing the car so the insects don't stick when I mow them down later tonight....

( a teenage troll. Ha!!!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
'cause. What is your problem? We have 15 pages of members sharing their street racing experience(s). And you have a problem with mine? No, I wasn't showing off. In fact, I mentioned that I almost crapped my pants. If you have a problem with people driving over the speed limit, why do you have a Shelby? Are you a board member bully that needs to put someone in their place? Do you often call people 'Teenage Trolls' or ask them: "WTF is wrong with you" or "Do you have a fixation" when I mentioned a woman?

I kindly ask you to keep your unasked for opinions to yourself. I don't know what's set you off that you have to make a smart aleck remark on each of my messages this past week. You're obviously intelligent, full of GREAT knowledge and have been on this board for quite some time. However you are coming across like a Grump. If you don't like women, don't like to find out what a car can do when you stretch it's legs, or you get threatened by enthusiasm, PM me and get it off your chest. Don't continue to take cheap shots at me because YOU have a personal issue. it's rude. Nico

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Was cruising on the freeway yesterday, got stuck behind a couple very slow cars... both lanes going a little under the speed limit. After I got an opening, I moved over to the right lane and gunned it back up to speed.

After I'm clear and resume the cruise control, i notice in my rear view that a truck that was a couple cars back did the same and was now running to catch up with me. He gets next to me and gives a couple big revs letting me know he wants a go.... I just have a grin, let him get the initial launch, but just after he starts accelerating hard, I dropped into 4th, chirped the tires, and flew right past him, looking over and waving goodbye as I went by. Both the driver and his lady passenger were laughing at how bad they were getting toasted! :ROFLMAO:

Another satisfied customer! :cool:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
It must be big ego truck season again. Another challenge from a truck, lifted, oversized pipe with no muffler. He was squealing his tires on launch, I took it easy through first to limit spin... maintained even stance through 1st, shifted to second and got on it hard and cleared him easy. He gave up right away after that. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Sitting in a chair and pondering this thought:

What do you do ??

Be it good or bad, my wife being in law enforcement for over 30 years certainly knows Florida state statues and on day after I told her I ran a porsche she explained to me the Fl Statue for street racing.
Arrested and your car impounded for 30 days. Loss of your DL for one year and numerous fines. Needless to say I have since quit street racing. I dont want to give the opinion I did it alot ..... I didnt. But it just takes that one time.
I hear all the stories of other members and would love to occasionally beat a vette or hellcat but I just cant justify the risk.

Just thinking out loud and wishing I could flex my GT500 hp on the streets

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,626 Posts

What do you do ??

Be it good or bad, my wife being in law enforcement for over 30 years certainly knows Florida state statues and on day after I told her I ran a porsche she explained to me the Fl Statue for street racing.
Arrested and your car impounded for 30 days. Loss of your DL for one year and numerous fines. Needless to say I have since quit street racing. I dont want to give the opinion I did it alot ..... I didnt. But it just takes that one time.
I hear all the stories of other members and would love to occasionally beat a vette or hellcat but I just cant justify the risk.

I think a little fun here and there chosen wisely (time/location) is acceptable. We’ve all seen videos where good judgement was not exercised though.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I think a little fun here and there chosen wisely (time/location) is acceptable. We’ve all seen videos where good judgement was not exercised though.
To say I never have raced someone after the mss's had out talk wouldnt be honest ... I have but it is RARE

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts

What do you do ??

See if there are any events in your area like the mile or half-mile. Shift-S3ctor is a big one: https://shift-s3ctor.com/

Those are fun as you really get to wring your car out while doing some grudge racing.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
See if there are any events in your area like the mile or half-mile. Shift-S3ctor is a big one: https://shift-s3ctor.com/

Those are fun as you really get to wring your car out while doing some grudge racing.
Thats what I will probably do. Allows oneself in a reasonable safe environment to stretch you cars legs !!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #310

What do you do ??

Pick and choose your spots. Be safe about it. I usually try to limit it to just a run up to speed (will result in small overshoot, but if you're aware of the goal, you keep that overshoot to reasonable speeds still) with open road, and always try to limit wheel spin, as that's one of our biggest dangers when it comes to control loss. Start out gentle, expect that they will get the jump, and that it's ok if they do, you have a lot of torque and power to reel most cars right back in quickly. It's also ok to not come out on the better side of these short runs. If you don't reel them in, they likely have a car well worth respect, don't do anything stupid because you want to win.

When on the highway already at speed, there's less risk of wheel spin causing control loss, just be aware of your surroundings. In that case I will only do a short blip run... most vehicles don't have the acceleration from 70mph that these cars have, so not much is needed. If it's a car that can match in that scenario, not worth going at it, because no short blip run will answer anything, only a run to unsafe speeds will. No thanks.

Like @Goose17 said, it's ok to have a little fun. @Keeno 's suggestion is good too if you don't feel like even those short selective runs. Though places like that often require roll cages if you have a convertible.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Pick and choose your spots. Be safe about it. I usually try to limit it to just a run up to speed (will result in small overshoot, but if you're aware of the goal, you keep that overshoot to reasonable speeds still) with open road, and always try to limit wheel spin, as that's one of our biggest dangers when it comes to control loss. Start out gentle, expect that they will get the jump, and that it's ok if they do, you have a lot of torque and power to reel most cars right back in quickly. It's also ok to not come out on the better side of these short runs. If you don't reel them in, they likely have a car well worth respect, don't do anything stupid because you want to win.

When on the highway already at speed, there's less risk of wheel spin causing control loss, just be aware of your surroundings. In that case I will only do a short blip run... most vehicles don't have the acceleration from 70mph that these cars have, so not much is needed. If it's a car that can match in that scenario, not worth going at it, because no short blip run will answer anything, only a run to unsafe speeds will. No thanks.

Like @Goose17 said, it's ok to have a little fun. @Keeno 's suggestion is good too if you don't feel like even those short selective runs. Though places like that often require roll cages if you have a convertible.
I have yet to run it through the gears at max boost. I need to do so but in a controlled way. I use to race and want to know the car and its quirks before I go full bore with it

Very good advice now just finding a place to do it

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
I have yet to run it through the gears at max boost. I need to do so but in a controlled way. I use to race and want to know the car and its quirks before I go full bore with it

Very good advice now just finding a place to do it
Love the sound of the car roaring and that supercharger winding up! Love that adrenaline rush that comes with it when the car plants you hard in the driver's seat!

Another small piece of advice, try to keep the runs to roads you know well if the road is bumpy, you need to know where those bumps are before getting on it. Save it for a section that's safe to do so. If you don't know the roads, make sure it's a nice smooth road. You don't want that live rear axle to jump out and bite.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I haven't raced anyone yet. But I did fly around a mini van who was going 65 in the fast lane on I-4. His windows were down, I wonder what it sounded like when I went around him. :)
bad ass , would there be any other?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cant ever find any dodge guys willing to race. The one I did find was a teenager, we were lined up and getting ready to stomp on it after rounding a corner. Just when we were ready a cop was sitting there with his radar. We both just rolled pass laughing and looking at each other. I'm sure the cop was laughing too. Another time a guy in a Bentley pulled up next to me at a red light. He was sounding off like he wanted to go. I couldn't do anything because I had my 85 yr old mom in the car, I just picked her up from the airport. Well I gunned my engine a bit and told my mom I wasn't going to do anything when the light turned green. He took off screeching his tires and all, I just laughed and my mom didnt know what to think. One last one, then there's the time a Lamborghini and I did a 2nd gear stomp away from a red light. I easily walked away from him. We pulled over at a gas station down the road. An old man and I guess a mustang lover that was behind us, pulled over, got out of his car, and I thought we were going to be in trouble, he says " well you smoked that European car didnt you". "Yeah beat his ass" he said. I was a little shocked, I told him we weren't really racing just goofing around. After small talk he got back in his car, and I told the lambo driver it was probably a good idea to leave.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
i have all the wrong vehicles challenging me ....today for example, had a guy in a F150, a older one very redneckish which in itself is fine but he was over the top ..... yelling at me to rev it and lay a patch of rubber

301 - 316 of 316 Posts