Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one changed the harmonic balancer and if so what was the reason and was ther any horsepower gain.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Has any one changed the harmonic balancer and if so what was the reason and was ther any horsepower gain.
I changed mine out. I went with the Innovations West 10% larger billet aluminum balancer. Gave me another 3lbs of boost. I can't tell you what hp gains I had because I added the balancer along with a bunch of other mods. I went from an Evolution Stage 1 to an Evo Stage 4. Went from 507 rwhp to 606 rwhp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put the 10% lower on as well. Of course you have to put on a different belt at the same time. It's an expensive mod. it does give you more boost, but you will need a retune. It also is about 11 pounds lighter than the stock balancer on a 07 gt500. The stock 08 balancer is alot lighter than the 07. so if you have an 08, it may not be worth the cost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the stock 08 balancer on my 07 when I installed the TVS. The 10% overdrive unit will spin your AC compressor faster and requires a small amount of grinding on the front engine cover. If you want HP gains from this mod, you need to 10% overdrive. The 08 balancer just corrected the very heavy weight of the 07.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Does anyone have the OEM Part Numbers for the 2008 balancer and bolt?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Ford Racing carries the same part by PN M-6312-SVT. I believe it may be cheaper to go the Ford Racing route rather than purchasing the OEM part. The FR site makes the following statement:

New factory replacement damper from the 2008 SVT Mustang 5.4L 4V engine.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10127
Thanks 6-Speed. Evolution shows it as the same part number for $295, but I figure I can get it cheaper through my dealership as I get parts at 10% over cost. Will post the cost after I order it on Monday.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks 6-Speed. Evolution shows it as the same part number for $295, but I figure I can get it cheaper through my dealership as I get parts at 10% over cost. Will post the cost after I order it on Monday.
6-Speed you were right. The OEM balancer would have cost me around $375, where as the Motorsport version (part # M-6312-SVT) was $285 through my dealership. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Interesting enough,When I changed to the I W 10% 4lb pulley I gained less than 2 lbs of boost-BUT it proved to be efficiant as torque went up around 60 and hp around 40.If you are going through the trouble-Go big!Most tuners have these files ready to go,VMP is reccomended.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know why you would need a new bolt with the ford racing unit. Bought mine from Steeda and they said new bolt was not needed

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
A longer bolt will help install the dampner,I did it without the longer bolt but I also had everything on the front end removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts