Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great time working on the car today. We finally had a good weather day.:)

So.... I installed the Stillen rotors, Porterfield brake pads and the Asanti wheels and Nitto tires.

Everything went great until I put the wheels on the rear.:flame:

The driver side rear rubs.:flame: The rear end is not lined up perfectly with the body. The passenger side does not rub at all but is very close.

I feel they did not get the backspacing right. As far as I could tell, the rear has 7-1/8" and the front has 6". There are no problems with the front.

I gave them all the info they asked for including that the car is lowered and what tires I would be using. I bought the tires and wheels from Wheel Warehouse. The wheels and tires were shipped already mounted.

The wheels are Asanti 118 T's with chrome lips and brushed centers. Fronts 20" x 9" and the rears 20" x 10.5. The tires are Nitto Invo's. Fronts are 255/35/20 and the rears 295/35/20.

I love the looks of the wheels and tires but can't live with the steam roller look and rub on the driver side.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as of yet, but I'm sure that after a few brewskis, I'll figure it out.:ninja:

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Looks like you could adjust the panhard bar to bring it in a bit on the driver's side so that they would at least be even on both sides.

That's about all you can do with them IMO. They do look great though, I think they might be OK if you adjust them.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you could adjust the panhard bar to bring it in a bit on the driver's side so that they would at least be even on both sides.

That's about all you can do with them IMO. They do look great though, I think they might be OK if you adjust them.
Thanks. That's probably what I'll try first. Hope I don't end up with both sides rubbing though. If that doesn't work, I may have to go with the 285's:shrug03:

·
Registered
483 Posts
They had to screw up the backspacing...they both should sit just inside the wheelwell (if ever so slightly). They look great thou....

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They had to screw up the backspacing...they both should sit just inside the wheelwell (if ever so slightly). They look great thou....
Thanks. Talk about screw though.......................:flame:

To add insult to injury, after I installed everything, I took it out to bed-in the pads and rotors. I drove it a total of about 8 miles and stopped at my son's house to show him.

I told him to check out the tread pattern. He looked at it and proceded to tell me I had a screw in the left front tire.:flame: :ninja: :mofo: Unbelievable.

Cal

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks. Talk about screw though.......................:flame:

To add insult to injury, after I installed everything, I took it out to bed-in the pads and rotors. I drove it a total of about 8 miles and stopped at my son's house to show him.

I told him to check out the tread pattern. He looked at it and proceded to tell me I had a screw in the left front tire.:flame: :ninja: :mofo: Unbelievable.

Cal
I'm just going off of some of the pics I have seen on Evo's site...it's the same backspacing. Shoot Wheelwarehouse those pics...I'm sure they will straighten it out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Had a great time working on the car today. We finally had a good weather day.:)

So.... I installed the Stillen rotors, Porterfield brake pads and the Asanti wheels and Nitto tires.

Everything went great until I put the wheels on the rear.:flame:

The driver side rear rubs.:flame: The rear end is not lined up perfectly with the body. The passenger side does not rub at all but is very close.

I feel they did not get the backspacing right. As far as I could tell, the rear has 7-1/8" and the front has 6". There are no problems with the front.

I gave them all the info they asked for including that the car is lowered and what tires I would be using. I bought the tires and wheels from Wheel Warehouse. The wheels and tires were shipped already mounted.

The wheels are Asanti 118 T's with chrome lips and brushed centers. Fronts 20" x 9" and the rears 20" x 10.5. The tires are Nitto Invo's. Fronts are 255/35/20 and the rears 295/35/20.

I love the looks of the wheels and tires but can't live with the steam roller look and rub on the driver side.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do as of yet, but I'm sure that after a few brewskis, I'll figure it out.:ninja:

What do you guys think?
I love the look, there perfect, except the size and the Rivets fake or not. Tell me these come in 18x10.5/11s

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
IF the rear end was a little higher it might be just what you need. Or 285 tires. A little more lift might be easier and more cost effective. I love the rims. I wish they would work as 18's to clear the rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the look, there perfect, except the size and the Rivets fake or not. Tell me these come in 18x10.5/11s
Thanks. No, their real. 3 piece wheels. I don't know if they come in 18" or not. Try the Asanti or Wheel Warehouse web sites.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice job Cal. I'm sure it'll all come together..sorry about the [email protected]% street cleaners
Thanks Keith. The screw should not be a problem. It's not too close to the sidewall.

I e-mailed Wheel Warehouse with pics. We'll see what they have to say. It will all work out. I'm really starting to feel like Grabber and the Prez as far as luck goes.:simmadown: :bandit:

Cal

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cal,
It looks great. Center the rear axle. Repair front (dammit) and on to the next project.

I really do like the look. outer projection is well with in 1970 s limits if you remember, how far we hung them out back then.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cal,
It looks great. Center the rear axle. Repair front (dammit) and on to the next project.

I really do like the look. outer projection is well with in 1970 s limits if you remember, how far we hung them out back then.

ILLEGAL
I'm old school too. They look fine to me.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cal,

ILLEGAL
Thanks Ray.

Yes, I remember what we did in the 70's. My 73 Charger has Mickey Thompsons sticking out past the wheel wells. I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to find it one of these days.

Talked to Wheel Warehouse today and they assured me that they will make the wheel issue right.:) I e-mailed pics. They are looking them over, making their contacts and will get back to me tomorrow.

You've got my number lol, I do have another mod in the works:ack: . I bought a radiator overflow tank, intercooler reservoir and powersteering tank. I sent them out for chroming. I should get them back in a couple weeks.

This mod stuff is addicting.:ack: :silly:

I feel a blower change coming soon. Trying to hold off till next year though.:cowtounge:

Cal:bandit:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks Ray.

Yes, I remember what we did in the 70's. My 73 Charger has Mickey Thompsons sticking out past the wheel wells. I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to find it one of these days.

Talked to Wheel Warehouse today and they assured me that they will make the wheel issue right.:) I e-mailed pics. They are looking them over, making their contacts and will get back to me tomorrow.

You've got my number lol, I do have another mod in the works:ack: . I bought a radiator overflow tank, intercooler reservoir and powersteering tank. I sent them out for chroming. I should get them back in a couple weeks.

This mod stuff is addicting.:ack: :silly:

I feel a blower change coming soon. Trying to hold off till next year though.:cowtounge:

Who's power steering reservoir did you buy to have chromed?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I check when I get home from work and get back to you. Pretty sure it was Canton though.

Cal

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it took so long to get back.

It's a Canton power steering reservoir.

Item 77-236.......$117.50 + shipping

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey Cal,

Been reading what you have done and if I were you I would just scrap the whole project:bandit: and as far as the blower you mise well sent it this way:banana_hitit:

Kerry

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey Cal,

Been reading what you have done and if I were you I would just scrap the whole project:bandit: and as far as the blower you mise well sent it this way:banana_hitit:

Kerry
Who's this mysterious person chiming in on Cal's project. :ninja: Kerry, what up, you been in hibernation like the car or what. :zzz: Just finished putting in the shelby gage cluster. What a pain in the ass. :flame: Directions suck. SAI needs to fire the guy that wrote them, and hire me. Good to see ya

Keith

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Who's this mysterious person chiming in on Cal's project. :ninja: Kerry, what up, you been in hibernation like the car or what. :zzz: Just finished putting in the shelby gage cluster. What a pain in the ass. :flame: Directions suck. SAI needs to fire the guy that wrote them, and hire me. Good to see ya

Keith
Can we get some better pics of the hood on your car? One from straight on and one standing above it?

Thanks,

:banana_hitit:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts