Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here running the h-pipe set up similar to the KR. I have a catless x and flow through cat back from Stainless works. The sound at idle and WOT is great, but the sweet spot is too clangy and high pitched. I like it loud, but the pitch and tone is just not cool. I've been told I might like the h-pipe better, my tuner says no, costs a few horses, but really, with 565 now at the tires, I can spare a few ponies for improved sound. Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know anything about the H pipe system, but I put a full headers to mufflers Bassani exhaust on my Cobra (power x) and I love the sound. I think the mufflers may be the dominant factor in the exhaust note. If you go to Utube they have a number of systems and combinations of different manufactures that you can listen to. As a matter of fact I thought it was just plain good entertainment.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Anybody here running the h-pipe set up similar to the KR. I have a catless x and flow through cat back from Stainless works. The sound at idle and WOT is great, but the sweet spot is too clangy and high pitched. I like it loud, but the pitch and tone is just not cool. I've been told I might like the h-pipe better, my tuner says no, costs a few horses, but really, with 565 now at the tires, I can spare a few ponies for improved sound. Any thoughts out there?
You'll find alot of H pipe info here.:)
http://www.stangmafia.com/forum/f89/phrps-new-h-pipe-1974/

·
Registered
547 Posts
H pipes will give you a much richer/fuller sound than an X pipe will at part to open throttle, but as your tuner said you will be giving up a very small amount of power/torque. And really it's only a couple hp. The X pipe is too tinny and high pitched for my taste too. No matter what you do, you want to make sure that you do have either an H or X pipe in your exhaust system as either one will give you more power than exhaust that runs straight out through mufflers without a crossover. The only straight exhaust that will give you more power is to run headers that dump directly out after the collectors and that's not street legal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts