Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an inevitable comparison, albeit the Z06 has the advantage both in power and weight, it won't take much to get the blue oval beast on the same level. Gonna be interesting to see, even though the GMs are gonna murder us stock for stock. :(

Thank god for the aftermarket. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's gonna be nuts either way. Just that Ford doesn't understand the concept of "less weight"...I mean c'mon, 3800lbs for some of the loaded new Stangs, insanity!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In a straight line the new Mustang could catch up with more power, around a corner though that Z06 (or any C6) will be very hard to beat.

<--Ford owner pearing over the fence at new C6s

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the GT500 will respond to modifications better.... I mean, upping the boost alone should result in a very nice gain, and its alot cheaper then heads/cam. Plus, the torque should rise more then the HP gain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Comparing the GT500 with the ZO6 is like comparing apples to oranges. It is just not right!

The ZO6 is missing a back seat and costs about $25,000 more! You will probably be able to buy a new GT500 and a base Mustang for less than one Z06.

If you want to compare Ford and Chevy, you need to compare the Mustang with Chevy's pony car, the Camero. Whoops, no comparison there either. :)

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to own a Z06. But, if you want to compare it to a Ford, how about the Ford GT!?

Oh yeah, my 7 year daily driver is a highly modified 1994 Impala SS. It is getting old and the GT500 is the first thing in many years that has peaked my interest. For the record, I am not brand loyal. I am high performance loyal.

I want a black one. :D

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although a Pony man(notice I didn't say ford!), the Z06 is a monster of a machine, performance wise anyway. It is quite unfair to put these two in the ring with the vette' being a "super heavywieght" and the Shelby being a "heavywieght." Come to think of it, the GT is completely out the Vette's class also...so as you can see, chevy smartly backed out of the pony wars and went another direction. Do not get me off, I loved the war between Cam's and Stang's, but due to serious crappy marketing on chevy's part, the old rivalary went the way of the Do-Do. To bad, because I really think Chevy has a winner under the hood of that GTO-LS2. Now that I'm through with politeness, I must honestly say that the Shelby has WAY MORE potential than the 500 h.p. beast in the way of "Boost:D ". I owned an 04 cobra and put close to 6 grand in it to an unbelievable tune 587 rwhp:eek: !! Needless to say, I found the half shaft limit at a 4500 launch..:p . I had no IDEA what that amount of power could do. It didn't last, though, as an idiot blew a redlight and took off the whole front end..:mad: .I only had a brief amount of time with my baby, but relish the memory. Was about to buy an 05 last fall when ran across this beutiful "5.4" Shelby. Now, I am waiting for the ford dealer to accept my dwn pymnt on the first one. Can U imagine the POTENTIAL of this engine??:eek: ....No disrespect to the Z06, but it's ON:cool: !!
SEE YA AT THE FINISH LINE...i'll be waiting:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey BR, didn't know the nameplate was even a thought..hmm...the metal is a little risky, but who cares-bring on the compitition! That'll keep ford on its toes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey BR, didn't know the nameplate was even a thought..hmm...the metal is a little risky, but who cares-bring on the compitition! That'll keep ford on its toes...thanks for the heads up;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read that the Camaro is a "real" concept car. Meaning that if the buzz about it is high enough they will consider building it.

Hey! We should compare the GT500 to the GTO! Now that would be more in line!

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
....The way I look at this whole GT500 vs Z06 comparison.......first off,these are 2 different kinds of cars,....one is a 2dr. muscle car GT coupe,...and the other is a 2 seat sports car,that borders exotic in performance.......If you "were" to try and compare,....take the price difference between both cars,...which is about 28-30 grand,...then you can put the 30 grand towards mods for the Shelby(as now your at equal playing ground as far as money spent is concerned),.....and now the ShelbyGT500 would more than toast the ZO6.;) :D :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
VenomSnake said:
....The way I look at this whole GT500 vs Z06 comparison.......first off,these are 2 different kinds of cars,....one is a 2dr. muscle car GT coupe,...and the other is a 2 seat sports car,that borders exotic in performance.......If you "were" to try and compare,....take the price difference between both cars,...which is about 28-30 grand,...then you can put the 30 grand towards mods for the Shelby(as now your at equal playing ground as far as money spent is concerned),.....and now the ShelbyGT500 would more than toast the ZO6.;) :D :cool:
Dude, your statements contradict previous posts you've made...

At one time, you said comparing the GT500 to the SRT8 CHarger was OK... but the Charger is bigger, a 4 door SEDAN, etc. etc. etc. But NOW its NOT appropriate to compare the GT500 to a Z06?!!? The GT500 if running in the mid-low 12's is nearly as fast, as the Z06 runs low 12s/some say high 11s. Both are 2 doors...

Why the contradiction?!?!

About the price...

Whether you're telling the truth about getting a GT500 at MSRP is factual or not, matters not... the GT500 to the average perspective buyer will fetch a HEFTY markup, bringing it MUCH closer to the Z06 in price.

And... you really can't argue about adding mods, etc. The topic is about stock vehicles. Someone could go out and get a 1990 5.0L for a few grand, dump $30,000 in mods into it, still spend $10,000 less than a GT500 (IF it is sold at MSRP, which is a falacy) and outrun a new GT500... so what's the point?!?!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
AMEN brother,enough said!

·
Registered
81 Posts
:rolleyes:
MustangSally said:
Dude, your statements contradict previous posts you've made...

At one time, you said comparing the GT500 to the SRT8 CHarger was OK... but the Charger is bigger, a 4 door SEDAN, etc. etc. etc. But NOW its NOT appropriate to compare the GT500 to a Z06?!!? The GT500 if running in the mid-low 12's is nearly as fast, as the Z06 runs low 12s/some say high 11s. Both are 2 doors...

Why the contradiction?!?!

About the price...

Whether you're telling the truth about getting a GT500 at MSRP is factual or not, matters not... the GT500 to the average perspective buyer will fetch a HEFTY markup, bringing it MUCH closer to the Z06 in price.

And... you really can't argue about adding mods, etc. The topic is about stock vehicles. Someone could go out and get a 1990 5.0L for a few grand, dump $30,000 in mods into it, still spend $10,000 less than a GT500 (IF it is sold at MSRP, which is a falacy) and outrun a new GT500... so what's the point?!?!
Learn to read my friend and don't be a hater. I'm saying that the Z06 is a 2 seat sports car(like viper in price range and comparisons) and out of the price market of the shelby GT500.....while on the other hand the srt-8 charger is in the same price market,...even if it is uglier and has 4drs...you want it to be a soo called 4dr. muscle family sedan, and dcx doesn't have anything else to compare with the shelby so I guess we go with it,...until the new hemi challenger comes out,...which I for one can say at least they made that one look good!,....but until then I guess all you got is that thing called the charger to compare with:p :D And when talking price,...you have to talk msrp from manufacturer!!!..... you "can't" include individual greedy "dealer" mark-ups in the price as they would fluctuate all over the country. I think even you can figure that out.Price for price on the new cars,...not markups!!....Hello?!!!...and talking about posts,...hell ,...you can't even get the weights of the vehicles right,...much less the prices and every other comments you have!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
WTF??

Why the necro-post? There have been topics on this comparo much more recent than 2006...

And you need to mod the HELL out of our cars to reach the low 11's that Z06's have seen BONE STOCK. And yes, there have been Z06's hitting in the 10's bone stock on street tires. No GT500 stock has done that.

And cornering? Fuggedaboutit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts