Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker was wondering which car would win in the quarter mile. Anybody have any hard facts on this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Stangnet article lists it as a 13 second car.

They dyno'd it at only 365rwhp, so while they are lighter than our cars, we still have gobs more power. I would say the Shelby would win the race if the driver's were of equal skill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No doubt the GT500 will walk the 427R. The "427" is flywheel horsepower. Subtract 12-15% for driveline losses and you get the 365-375 rwhp quoted above. That's about what a stock '03/04 Cobra did...if not a smidge less.

All in all its a cool car though. It's a great time to be a Mustang fan. The options are amazing and we've never had such high HP options in the past.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah, but the Terminators were lighter, and can run pretty much dead even to the GT500.
There are several ex-Terminator owners on this site that now own GT500s that would disagree with that comment.

Arbour88

·
Registered
17 Posts
So a stock Terminator and a stock GT500 would run even? Or is one quicker than the other? Just curious since I don't know much about the Terminators.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
As I understand it, Arbour88 is correct. We will slightly edge them out... all other things being equal.

And to ingram's point... good luck finding a stock Termie. I don't think many people went as nuts about the collectibility of those that we see on the Shelby, so most were modded without regard to future resale. There are some truly sick Cobra's out there....

·
Registered
1 Posts
not sure about quarter mile but my 2011 Shelby pulled away from 2nd gear up to 120mph fairly well on a 427....no info on mods on it if any

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is funny this got posted today. I raced a 427R yesterday on the street going to the car show I went to. He pulled up on me Going about 80 and I knew what was up!!! We slowed to about 45 he gave the honk signal and we went for it. I jumped on it and from the start I was gone and he was more than 10 car lengths behind when I hit 110, maybe further. We have each other the thumbs up and he exited shortly after. I drove a 427 when I was shopping for my Shelby and they are not even in the same category as far as power and performance goes IMO. They are beautiful cats though, I really like the Swede seats and the interior.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I've owned, modded, and raced both. Stock for stock or mod for mod the GT500 is faster. My 427R had longtubes, upper and lower pulleys, and 4.10s (only 430rwhp) and was still 3 tenths slower than my 2012 GT500 with just a pulley and tune (11.98 to 11.70 same track both on DRs). I loved the 427R but the Eaton M90 is a turd. Instead of going bolt on crazy I should have shitcanned the M90 and put a better blower on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To funny.... wondering if we‘re talking stock and a 2007 gt500 vs 2014 gt500. Considering 150hp difference....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
WOW lol I just realized this post is originally from 2008. LMAO

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had the good fortune of driving 3 of Fords finest all in one day recently so I can give a seat of the pants assessment. My cousin, who lives in Florida bought a 2013 BOSS 302 in Oklahoma with only 2500 miles. On his way back to FL he stopped in southern Illinois where I and his brother, who owns a used car lot, live. His brother had just bought a 08 Roush 427R at an auction so we drove the BOSS out to the car lot to check it out. I had driven a BOSS before but was still very impressed with what 444 HP would do. Stab the throttle on a BOSS and you better be ready to shift because they wind up so quick.

We drove the Roush and while it was fast I believe the BOSS would have blown it away in a drag race as I drove both cars 10 minutes apart. I let my cousin with the BOSS drive my 14 Shelby and needless to say he was amazed and left Illinois pondering the possibility of putting a blower on the BOSS. I will say this the Hurst equipped Roush shifted like a dream. The BOSS had the MGW shifter and I really couldn't tell any difference from my 14's shifter. If I were ever to change shifters in the Shelby it will be a Hurst like the Roush had.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts