Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two different cars. If you have a family to cart around, definately the SRT8 Charger.

I've seen SOLID proof from RELIABLE guys with SRT8 Chargers that their cars have run 12.8s in the 1/4... at 4300 lbs. STOCK. That's nothing to sneeze at.

If you were to line up with an SRT8 Charger in a GT500, you better be able to drive that car well. Too much spin or response delay, and that Charger COULD take you. They're amazing muscle cars. And they're HUGE.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could you imagine in the 80's watching them Duke Boys riding around in a 4 door family car doing jumps and stuff.....they messed up.....GT500 all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ford and DCX obviously have different approaches to power. Ford makes use of forced induction while DCX doesn't. I like the Ford way - the Shelby is rated (we think) at 475SHP at 8.5 pounds of boost. With a compression ratio of less than 9:1, you can *probably* take that bad boy up to 12 pounds of boost without blinking and I bet that you can go higher than that.

The "Challenger" won't see much but tail end of the Shelby if that's the case.

You can spray the DCX engine of course but that's riskier than a blower to me and the blower is "always on" power while spraying is fleeting at best. The point that I'm trying to make - haha - is that I feel that the Ford approach leaves much more room for HP gain in the aftermarket.... but, we'll see!

·
Registered
3 Posts
BlueOval said:
Ford and DCX obviously have different approaches to power. Ford makes use of forced induction while DCX doesn't. I like the Ford way - the Shelby is rated (we think) at 475SHP at 8.5 pounds of boost. With a compression ratio of less than 9:1, you can *probably* take that bad boy up to 12 pounds of boost without blinking and I bet that you can go higher than that.

The "Challenger" won't see much but tail end of the Shelby if that's the case.

You can spray the DCX engine of course but that's riskier than a blower to me and the blower is "always on" power while spraying is fleeting at best. The point that I'm trying to make - haha - is that I feel that the Ford approach leaves much more room for HP gain in the aftermarket.... but, we'll see!
I agree that lower compression lends itself better to forced induction. However, there are a few aftermarket folks already installing maggies on the 5.7L and 6.1L motors. GS Motorsport and Hennessey come to mind immediately. Why not the 6.4L? I guess you could argue the reliability of such a high stress motor could be reduced. I can't argue one way or the other on that. I do know the 6.1L has many go fast goodies built into it such as forged internals, sodium-filled valves, etc. One thing hurting the aftermarket on DC's products is the Enigma Machine-style PCM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...Charger srt-8 doesn't look good at all especially from the 4 dr. sides and the ugly rear end. Shelby will destroy that 4dr. family muscle car. As for the challenger,..that's not to bad looking,but I was at the 2006 Detroit Show 2 weeks ago and they are not putting in the 6.4L (392). They said they are using for the top srt-8 model of the challenger, the 425hp 6.1L hemi. The 6.4L is strickly for aftermarket with lousy gas mileage. I'll take the Shelby GT-500 all day long with its 475+HP. Plus the charger has IRS with no real gear changes, While we have the solid rear axle for quick gear changes,and stronger axle for loading up alot of hp for faster et's. Plus the aftermarket is huge for the Mustang,...but not for the charger and challenger.;) :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Charger is an automatic too, just imagine the lower times if it was a manual...with the weight of the GT500, I wouldn't get too confident till it runs more and proves those tires can give it a good launch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
PolarBear said:
Charger is an automatic too, just imagine the lower times if it was a manual...with the weight of the GT500, I wouldn't get too confident till it runs more and proves those tires can give it a good launch.
That's a good point, and I'm curious to know...How big of tires will be able to fit on the rear? (nice and tucked in of course).:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
^does she want the Charger a SRT-8 or Chrysler 300 SRT-8...The more I see that 300 it's growing on me, and they apparently take to supercharging quite well from an Article I had just read. I can not picture a woman driving the Charger SRT-8!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Her Last car was a 03 Benz CLK 430. In the summer she rides a 01 HD Fat Boy.
Not to Brag, but... she can handle it. We've been married 24 years and she still amazes me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...the GT500 will kick the charger srt-8, 300c srt-8,and challenger srt-8 in the ass.They can never hold a candle to the Shelby!Even if you supercharge the srt-8's(which is not recommended with its higher compression ratio),and ones that have had maxed out around 500rwhp......guess what,the Shelby has been dynoed at 489rwhp from factory,and a simple pulley change for higher boost,tune and exhaust the GT500 gets 638 rwhp!!!! Game over.....Shelby wins!! ;) :D :cool: This really is good stuff, there is no way Chevy or Chrysler are going to touch this.
(unless they drop the compression ratios of their engines, forge the internals, and go the forced induction route as well--but for some reason that strikes me as unlikely.)and very expensive for them to do these mods.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK... are some of you people really comparing a 4400 lb Charger SRT8 to a 3400-3600 lb GT500?!?!

There's no comparison between the two vehicles... you might as well compare an Explorer to a Z06...

While they're both muscle cars, one is FULL sized, the other is damned near compact.

The GT500 is very impressive for what it is designed for... but the Charger, at 4400 lbs., is arguably MORE impressive. A full sized car that has been proven to run mid-12's (personally watched one go 12.68 in the 1/4), STOCK. No mods. Plus, the Charger handles like its step-sibling Mercedes. You can pitch a party tent in the back seat of that thing, plus some lumber, yet it performs like I've said.

Sure, the GT500 will beat it in most comparisons, but it's 800+ lbs lighter and the back seat (identical to my 06 GT) is just barely big enough for an average person.

Two different cars. Apples to oranges.

But make no mistake, if you need an all around fast car, the Charger SRT8 has no equal in its price range, plus/minus $15,000.

The GT500, being truly a limited run car, will be priced by dealers at a markup WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND the bank accounts of 95% of its fans. Only a few will own it, compared to the Charger SRT8 (not a limited run car).

Now, its realistic to compare the GT500 and Challenger (SRT8 variety)... but once again, the GT500 is a true limited run car... so there's still an issue with production number differences (being in the 10,000s, I'm sure).

BTW: The 6.1 is under-rated. From what I've gathered, its putting out 450+. Watch out for the 6.1 mods out there... I've heard of some ported heads adding 70 Rear-whp... with NO other mods. THAT'S scary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MustangSally said:
The GT500 is very impressive for what it is designed for... but the Charger, at 4400 lbs., is arguably MORE impressive.

Sure, the GT500 will beat it in most comparisons, but it's 800+ lbs lighter and the back seat (identical to my 06 GT) is just barely big enough for an average person.
Two different cars. Apples to oranges.
You got that right...shelby looks cool,...charger does not!!:p
Wrong again!!! Charger is more impressively uglier!:p(front end is not bad,but the sides,4 drs. and the whole rear end,makes this car Fugly)!If you want to say that its impressive for a 4 dr family sedan at 4200lbs having a 13.3 et, than I'll agree to that for what its worth ...............Wrong!! closer to 250 lbs. or so, not 800+!!!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts