Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant decide between a 07 Saleen SC with 800miles for 40k or a 08 GT500 with 200 miles for 42k. Gt500 is close to where i live, Saleen is 1200 miles away. This would not be a DD it would be a fun car. Anyone want to chime in with opinion's?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
544 Posts
I cant decide between a 07 Saleen SC with 800miles for 40k or a 08 GT500 with 200 miles for 42k. Gt500 is close to where i live, Saleen is 1200 miles away. This would not be a DD it would be a fun car. Anyone want to chime in with opinion's?

Thanks for any input
GT500 ...!!!!:)
Welcome to the site....:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've owned a Saleen which i sold to get a GT500 and i will never even consider buying another Saleen again. GT500 by a landslide.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This was asked a week or so ago by another member (except he was considering the "Extreme") and here was my reply:

I toyed with this idea (GT500 vs Saleen S281E) last year and got to drive the Saleen.

NICE car, and I love the rear end design. But I did a TON of research and found out some things that made me decide that the GT500 was a better fit for me.

1) Financing any Saleen can be difficult depending on the financial institutions your dealer uses. In my area, the largest Saleen dealer in the state told me that no insititution they used considered the Saleen package into the financing. You could finance up to a GT at $32k on the Mustang, and carry the other $50k out of your own pocket (sorry, nooooo)

2) I enquired at pretty much EVERY Saleen enthusiast forum and the overwhelming response was that warranty service SUCKED, and that there were numerous issues that would require warranty work. Seems Saleen does not work well with their dealers, and 2 people I talked to were waiting 3 months or more for parts!!! Yes, that is indeed true, 3 months. You can have some serious repair issues if you're not lucky.

3) At that time, the power levels were just about the same from the "E" to the standard GT500. Also, the KR (which was not an option last year when I considered the "E") is more powerful, recently dyno'd by M&T at over 600hp.

4) The dealer did say that the engine may only be good for about 100,000 miles or a little more if you're LUCKY. He said the motor isn't a fan of all that added boost.

5) Resale is absolutely atrocious on any and all Saleen vehicles. Figure a staggering 50% depreciation within the first year to second year as a guarantee. Right now you can sell a used GT500 for about the sticker of a new one, and the KR will seriously be holding the value for a long, long time. Go look at eBAY and Saleen enthusiast forums and you'll be absolutely sickened.

I really like the car a lot, but there were too many negatives and owner horror stories to ignore.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
The Saleen is sharp looking, but there was only one thing that went into my decision, and that was the motor. The 5.4 is a lot more motor than anything Saleen has to offer. Even the Extreme at 620hp, with an intake and tune you're already there with a GT500 and plenty of room to go. With the Saleen, I don't know how much more the motor will take without going into the internals, so if you really want to have fun, I would stick with the GT500. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I researched Saleens for 4hrs last night and it seems the biggest difference are the "unique" factors, and that they are a little lighter.

Thanks for all the help, really good info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out this thread for the discussion involving an Extreme:

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523

As an aside, there seems to be two Saleen companys now:

(1) Saleen Inc.
http://www.saleen.com/2008_s302_xt.asp
With various vehicles, most based on Ford Mustang platform.

(2) SMS Supercars
http://www.smssupercars.com/
With two vehicles, SMS Challenger (http://www.smssupercars.com/570.html), and SMS 25th Anniv Mustang Concept (http://www.smssupercars.com/25a.html), which uses a Saleen Supercharger and looks exactly like a Saleen Mustang except for the badging.

Brand dilution? I don't know, but do a little more research and you might find a few threads about Saleen's legendary customer service department.:rofl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I researched Saleens for 4hrs last night and it seems the biggest difference are the "unique" factors, and that they are a little lighter.

Thanks for all the help, really good info.
Holy crap this Saleen S281E should be able to smoke a Z06 and definately the GT500 and most likely many others. The power to weight ratio is 6.1 and the GT500 is 7.8 thats a HUGE difference(I believe the Z06 is something like 6.3). All the internals are Forged in it so it should be up to snuff.

I would say if you dont care about the Shelby heritage, you like the looks of the Saleen better, and dont like doing mods, go for the Saleen S281E!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
For the price of a Saleen S281E, you can mod up your GT500 to blow that Saleen back to where it came from. As an FYI, the 2007 Saleen S281E MSRP was $70,999 (plus options). For that kind of money, a GT500's engine can be modded to over 700HP, as well as upgrading the suspension including the FRPP handling pack and you'd have plenty of money left over in your hand to wave at those Saleens as you blow by them.

Arbour88

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the price of a Saleen S281E, you can mod up your GT500 to blow that Saleen back to where it came from. As an FYI, the 2007 Saleen S281E MSRP was $70,999 (plus options). For that kind of money, a GT500's engine can be modded to over 700HP, as well as upgrading the suspension including the FRPP handling pack and you'd have plenty of money left over in your hand to wave at those Saleens as you blow by them.

Arbour88
Oh hell, you could be running a full tuned suspension and a 900hp motor for that extra $20,000 really.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Holy crap this Saleen S281E should be able to smoke a Z06 and definately the GT500 and most likely many others. The power to weight ratio is 6.1 and the GT500 is 7.8 thats a HUGE difference(I believe the Z06 is something like 6.3). All the internals are Forged in it so it should be up to snuff.

I would say if you dont care about the Shelby heritage, you like the looks of the Saleen better, and dont like doing mods, go for the Saleen S281E!!!
Saleens are 3-valve motors. The engine weight is the only difference when it comes to ballast. The pig iron block of the 5.4 weighs a bunch.

You can make 620 at the flywheel with a CAI, 2.6" pulley and tune on the Shelby. (For a ton less dough than the extra cost of the Saleen over a Mustang GT) As someone else stated, the values of Saleens drop like a rock. Plus they look ricey. If the original poster needs to ask the question, they haven't done their homework yet and shouldn't buy either til they do so.

bj

·
Registered
21 Posts
"For the price of a Saleen S281E, you can mod up your GT500 to blow that Saleen back to where it came from. As an FYI, the 2007 Saleen S281E MSRP was $70,999 (plus options). For that kind of money, a GT500's engine can be modded to over 700HP, as well as upgrading the suspension including the FRPP handling pack and you'd have plenty of money left over in your hand to wave at those Saleens as you blow by them."

Ah HAH! GOOD Point!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts