Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I just wanted to know how the GT500 performs against the C6 Z06? Whats a better car to mdo mods to and which one is more reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys I just wanted to know how the GT500 performs against the C6 Z06? Whats a better car to mdo mods to and which one is more reliable.
The gt500 is deffinetly an easier car to mod. with $1200 you can add 120-145 horses to the rear wheels. Many people also use it as their daily drivers as well

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think the question should have been, Which one is more of a blast!
If you want to be hangin out with old guys in gold bling jewelry and what not, get a Vet
If you want a car that is truly an "E" ticket, get a GT500 (I'm Bias)

·
Registered
662 Posts
They are both great cars, the GT 500 is easier to mod I would think. It comes down to which do you like better and can you make do with only two seats? I have had 2 vettes but after the kids came it is basically a motorcycle (with better protection) that the entire family cannot enjoy. The GT 500 will get more attention and can be made to accelerate as fast as the Z06 (Z06 unmodded and not top end because of aerodynamics) but I doubt you will ever get it to handle as well....apples and oranges.

:zlurking:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Shelby is easy to mod for good power. But figure you need a couple grand in suspension components and tires to handle even the stock power adequately.

After say $7k or so in mods, you'll be hitting low 11's, MAYBE high tens even.

A bone stock, factory new Z06 runs mid 11's all day, and there have been a few that run high tens on stock tires with zero mods.

Now.... that being said, I love the fun and the practicality of the Shelby more. I also need a back seat, and that's the reason the Shelby won over the Z06 for me personally.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As much as I am thoroughly enjoying my GT500, if I could only own _one_... I would get a C6 Z06. Sure you can mod the GT500 easier and for less $$, but you can get a C6 Z06 into the mid-10s very easily (nitrous) and it will be incredibly reliable. And yes... nitrous counts. :grinbiginvert:

I considered purchasing a C6 Z06, but I have a twin-turbo C5 Z06, and I wanted a convertible. So I got a GT500 and modded it a little bit. It runs great, and I'm pleased with it.

But if I had one car... it is tough to beat the Z06 for the $$. Yeah, its more than a GT500 for sure and it only has 2-seats. As the above poster said, its kind of apples vs. oranges. Stock for stock, they are two very different cars. Can you mod a GT500 for the same $$ as you'd spend on a stock Z06 and run with a Z06... sure, maybe in a straight line. But they'll still be two pretty distinct vehicles from one another.

Good luck!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Don't mind Bandit, he's secretly in love with vettes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Go look at what a 1969 gt500 costs now,,,100k plus generally. 1969 vettes are generally a dime a dozen. get the gt500, you'll turn more heads.:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
As it's been stated by other members here the two cars are apples and oranges. I really don't understand the constant comparison people try and draw between the GT 500 and the Vette. Two totally different machines. I could have bought the Vette like I'm sure many of you could have also. I purchased the GT 500 because I am a Mustang guy. I could care less if a Vette is faster than my car. I really don't care. I'll take the Shelby any day. I pass a bazillion Vettes everyday. I see Gt 500's almost never. The only one I see is my friends and thats about it. Not trying to be rude, so please don't take this post as such. Buy what you like and can afford and don't care if another car is faster...because someone will always have a faster car.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I really don't understand the constant comparison people try and draw between the GT 500 and the Vette.
Currently, there is not a 505hp Camaro for an apples vs apples comparison

There is no other car with 500hp in their price range.

Thus comparisons are inevitable.

If I could swing it, I'd have a vette in addition to the GT500. But they are dissimilar cars. In spite of that, there is nothing wrong with a lil' friendly rivalry.

Now if GM were to put the LS7 and TR6060 in the new Camaro, that would be very interesting!! And while we are dreaming, let's put the Viper V10 in the Challenger!!

The pony car wars would be back with a vengeance! I refuse to be brand loyal, it's much more fun to be appreciate all nice rides regardless of the manufacturer!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't get me wrong I think the Vette is a killer car. I also would own one and many other muscle cars from new ones to the 60's and 70's versions. I love all muscle cars, some more than others. If I had the money I would have probably 20+ cars. I love the Boss 302's and 429's, Z28's, Cuda's, 442's love em all. Don't mistake my earlier post as a "I'm a Ford guy and thats all and everything else is junk" because I don't feel that way. A good friend of mine is a Mopar guy and has 3 wing cars. They are unbelievable. I do understand your point though that it is just good fun. As I stated earlier my response was not meant to be mean spirited, Just voicing an opinion.

·
Registered
662 Posts
After the legislation signed yesterday we better all go buy a challenger, camaro, and vette to keep our shelby's company because the pony car wars will be over in a few years.:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
How much power can the Gt500 stock motor and clutch take?

More than most of us can drive.

By the way, while I clearly have more than 7k worth of mods and run mid-11's but you can do so with:

Stock internals

Stock blower

2.6" pulley

cold air intake (I use JLT as do many others on here)

a very good tune (I use Jon Lund as do many others either directly or indirectly through Evolution Performance)

Lower and upper control arms

Tires.

That's it.

And oddly, no one ever does jokes like "what's the difference between a Corvette and a porcupine?" when you're driving a GT500.

bj

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

By the way, while I clearly have more than 7k worth of mods and run mid-11's but you can do so with:

Stock internals

Stock blower

2.6" pulley

a very good tune (I use Jon Lund as do many others either directly or indirectly through Evolution Performance)

Tires.

That's it.

And oddly, no one ever does jokes like "what's the difference between a Corvette and a porcupine?" when you're driving a GT500.

bj
Very Well Put...

·
Registered
165 Posts

Stock internals

Stock blower

2.6" pulley

Tires.

That's it.

bj
Agreed. Sometimes though we get caught up in the HP chase, and sometimes you see people who build beyond their driving capabilities.

Our stock motors and driveline have been proven to SAFELY handle 900rwhp, and many have done this on daily driven type cars.

I too considered it. A simple bolt on of a Hellion TT and a tune will put you at 900rwhp... but think about practicality for a moment. As a Stage 2 car myself, my tires simply cannot handle me getting on the car hard all the time. 1st and 2nd gear are all but useless from a hard launch. On somewhat cool roads (under 65 degrees) and a third gear high rpm freeway pass can be sketchy. Now imagine if I had another 400rwhp to contend with. Even on DR's, traction has to be a joke.

I think I will push only up to about 750rwhp as my goal, with a good suspension/tire package to support that. And even then... it may be a bit much for the street honestly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please don't try to compare Mustang to Corvette. One is a pony car one is a sports car. One weighs about 2900 lbs. one about 4000 lbs. and on and on. Both great cars but for comparison you would have to use Camaro. I have a 2009 GT500 and am trading it for a 2010 GT500 Grabber Blue. I just like the Shelby, I am more interested in straight line than road course.
Blessings and Good Luck,
Cobra2010

·
Registered
22 Posts

Stock internals

Stock blower

2.6" pulley

Tires.

That's it.

bj
Mid 11's can be done with less than what you put with a good driver....Intake, tune tires and a little suspension work and mid 11's are there

Now as to thec6z06 vs gt500 situation....both cars are in different leagues however the c6 z06 would be your best bet if you want a beautiful and fast out of the box carif you wanted to spend a little more money......There are many for sale now all over the place for mid 40's which is rediculous for the weight of the car the power it makes and it's motor.

Don't get me wrong i love my gt500 and always will but I can tell you sometime in the next two years I will own a c6 z06 and love it as well. the 427 motor has not been put into a vette for sometime now and now that the zr1 is out it prob won't be put in for sometime again. Also there are c6 z06's out there with a cam and a few bolt ons and poushing close to 600rwhp which is also crazy when you take into fact that the vette weighs in at 3200lbs or so.

The gt500 can be sought now for mid to low 30's with minimal miles. it's upside is that it is a shelby gt500 and will prob be pricey in 25 years just as its older brother is now. With minimal mods....ie pulley tune intake exhaust tires suspension- many have seen 10's out of this alone......And the upside of the gt500 is that it comprwssioned well for a blower and many are seeing over 700rwhp with a whipple kb or turbo(s) with the only "weak" point being the rods and supposedly people who are willing to spend the cash on a full griggs suspension are loosing 200+lbs or so.....So it would take a little more time and money to get everything right out of the gt500 but it can and has been done and many are reaping the streets right now.....

there is my rant

·
Registered
121 Posts
the zo6 is the faster car but the shelby is more of a rare car and will be more rare and colectible than the z06 in the future.they are both great cars but 2 very diffrent cars

1 - 20 of 37 Posts