Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
GT500 2020
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still really enjoy driving this car. It took me awhile to warm up to it but after I put some time in it I don’t regret ever buying it. At the gas station I always have people asking what type of car is it because of the cobra emblems that they’re not used to seeing out in town. A Good conversation starter. I think the people who hate on the gt500 are just people who have never driven one, otherwise you’d be in love with it lol.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Tire

·
Registered
GT500 2020
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, yea no disrespect @David Hammond, I am shocked it "took a while to warm up to it." This car is so well-sorted out, even an inexperienced driver like me can't screw it up. But it still feels so raw and ripe with personality.

BTW, yours is wicked good looking.
its cause I came from owning a hellcat. The power of a hellcat is instant. But man being able to take the gt500 thru mountains without having to break at every turn is nice. The Gt500 has really grown on me this year.

·
Registered
GT500 2020
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If I am being honest I would have to say I enjoy my Challenger Hellcat more. Now, having said that there are things I really like about the GT500 but, since I don't go to the drag strip or ripping through mountains I probably don't get the full effect all the GT500 owners rave about. The style is amazing and clearly has many race options my 2017 Hellcat does not. If I had to compare one important feature (important to me) the Hellcat is way more predictable, easier to real in if you get out of shape, and all around more comfortable to drive. Let's not even talk about fuel consumption because their not on the same planet but, we didn't buy these cars to worry fuel economy. For the last two and a half months I have been living with the kids while our home is being completed so I keep one of my rides in storage but trade them out every two weeks. Every time I pick up the Hellcat and head home I just feel comfort and confidence. Living here in Las Vegas with slippery roads the drag race is useless because both spin like crazy and I have DR on the Hellcat.... So which one wins out? No idea. However, when I trade out the Hellcat for the GT500, I do get a smile on my face, love the roar, the down shifting with the DCT, adjustable exhaust note and the ease of switching the drive modes. I have had a few uncomfortable out of shape moments that I feel catch you by surprise and for that reason I think I should have bought a Redeye Charger.
I don't regret buying the GT 500 because had I not I would have been wondering all the time why I didn't...

Love it / don't love it comparisons.

Love it
2017 Hellcat Challenger

Comfortable
Great power from the bottom all the way through
Predictable and very stable
Great looks and looks more similar to the old Challenger / Chargers
5 - spoke wheels - Easy to clean
Mileage is amazing for a 700HP + car on the highway
Easier to find drag radials that you can get matching tread design for the front
Alcantera leather seats and door trim
Harmon Karden Stereo system is amazing for production
Gets all the looks

2020 GT500
Power and shifting through the gears feels and sounds amazing
Amazing Exhaust sound and control
Drive modes and ease of changing
Transmission
Brakes are amazing
Styling - Hood louvers and pins
Rear Spoiler with the wicker
Great handling but don't completely trust it
Carbon fiber dash trim is amazing
The dash in general is vey nice and gives a bit of the older Mach 1 look and feel
The younger crowd loves it and gets a lot of attention

Don't love it
2017 Hellcat Challenger

It's heavy and feels heavy, maybe why it's more stable
Braking power is great until I drove the GT500
Carbon fiber over the top stripes are poor quality and peeling after 4 years. It's always garaged...
They made Hellcats them to readily available
Stock tires are junk and stock wheels were too narrow for the HP. Mine isn't a wide Body

2020 GT500
Unstable and steps out too easy
Power delivery off the line lags then comes on very hard
Sitting position is a bit low for me
Bang & Olfson stereo system is very weak
Hood alignment it not acceptable. Maybe because of the fiberglass fenders / Aluminum Hood combo
When you close the doors it sounds cheap

I really like the GT 500 but love the Hellcat.

I can't imagine we will soon live in a world without the sounds, energy and fun these cars offer. We will have something faster in EV but, everyone will have the same power and sound....
I have a Go Mango hellcat red eye challenger on order (maybe one day it will actually get built…) but when and hopefully if does come in I know I’ll fall back in love with the HC. I’ve owned the 5.7, 392, 717hpHC, and now the RedEye. My wife gave me the thumbs up to keep both the Gt500 and the Redeye.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts