Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best brand for a Line-Lock kit on these cars? Are you using shiift knob with button or button mounted somewhere else?

Please and thanks,

OSHELBYO

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another is SLP's (SLP Performance Parts) version, which utilizes only one solenoid for both front brakes. I'm installing it this weekend.
MPH,

Please inform on how the install goes...I'd apprecaite it!

OSHELBYO (RICK)

·
Registered
70 Posts
How did you make out with the install. Thinking about the SLP kit, but would like a momentary button instead of a switch. Where did you mount it?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
How did you make out with the install. Thinking about the SLP kit, but would like a momentary button instead of a switch. Where did you mount it?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave I have the SLP kit but haven't installed it yet and also wanted a momentary switch.

You can follow the link in post #2 above for some ideas. BEACHSCGT500 used a coiled cord w/momentary switch from JEGS; they have several from about $40. Prob could make one from Radio Shack parts for less than $10.

In watching some of the NASCAR videos, those guys have coiled cords going to the steering wheel for something. Maybe using BEACHSCGT500's idea of the coiled cord & plug I would like to have it in my left hand at the steering wheel and just drop it when through and unplug it when not needed.

I bought a B&M "T" handle w/momentary switch. We'll see how well that works.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Dave I have the SLP kit but haven't installed it yet and also wanted a momentary switch.

You can follow the link in post #2 above for some ideas. BEACHSCGT500 used a coiled cord w/momentary switch from JEGS; they have several from about $40. Prob could make one from Radio Shack parts for less than $10.

In watching some of the NASCAR videos, those guys have coiled cords going to the steering wheel for something. Maybe using BEACHSCGT500's idea of the coiled cord & plug I would like to have it in my left hand at the steering wheel and just drop it when through and unplug it when not needed.

I bought a B&M "T" handle w/momentary switch. We'll see how well that works.

Good Luck!
2 qwik personal observations:

1. The last thing I want in my hand is something to think about when I'm on the track doing a burnout. If the car yaws or whatever, I want all my concentration and dexterity focused on the wheel...not a button. I have a simple on/off on my console. All hands-off til I reach down and flip a rocker switch.

2. The Hurst T-Handle doesn't fit a stock shifter very well. Is yours stock? I'd imagine the B&M is about the same tilt since they're the same company.
Make sure and try it out. I ended up with the pistol grip when I had my stock shifter as well as the TriAx. It's too high to use with the KR.

bj

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The link in BeachSCGT500's post raised a question for me. He said the Granatelli kit uses a separate solenoid for each front wheel. Does this mean that the SLP kit with one solenoid only locks one front wheel?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
The link in BeachSCGT500's post raised a question for me. He said the Granatelli kit uses a separate solenoid for each front wheel. Does this mean that the SLP kit with one solenoid only locks one front wheel?
I wondered the same thing, but in looking at the pics of the Granatelli and comparing them to the SLP, it looks to me like the SLP locks the line from the master cylinder before the split to the separate ft wheels. The Granatelli locks each line after the split. Both lock the two ft wheels, they just go about it in different ways. I like the simplicity of the SLP; easier to install and less to go wrong.

BeachSCGT500's pics of the lines under the hood are not from the radiator looking back toward the firewall.

Anyway, that's the way it looks to me, but I still haven't installed mine yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
OK, thanks for the info Snake Doc!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I suggest you get a Hurst line lock. It includes solenoid valve, indicator light and 4-amp fuse. That's what I'm using.
Bran,
This is an old thread, but the JLP worked great on my '09. I removed it before I traded for the '11; haven't tried it on the '11 yet. :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the SLP kit installed on mine. Works perfectly. Added an aviation style switch to it because the switch that comes with the kit is crap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the granatelli kit has two solonoids because the ABS needs to know whats happening at each wheel. If you put one solonoid for both, you could run into problems with the ABS...so I've been told.
The granatelli kit for the 2010 is deceiving. You need longer lines and you need to mount it behind the shock tower (at least that where i did) because there isnt enough room where they want you to put it (in front of the air filter). In the end, though, im happy with it.
also, I have a momentary button on the shifter, which i feel is the best. That way i dont have to take my hand off the shifter to switch off a toggle. Why would anyone have to search for a button on the console when your trying to fly like a bird?

·
Registered
28 Posts
the granatelli kit has two solonoids because the ABS needs to know whats happening at each wheel. If you put one solonoid for both, you could run into problems with the ABS...so I've been told.
The granatelli kit for the 2010 is deceiving. You need longer lines and you need to mount it behind the shock tower (at least that where i did) because there isnt enough room where they want you to put it (in front of the air filter). In the end, though, im happy with it.
also, I have a momentary button on the shifter, which i feel is the best. That way i dont have to take my hand off the shifter to switch off a toggle. Why would anyone have to search for a button on the console when your trying to fly like a bird?
Really, do you leave your TC on while your doing a burn out ? LOL I always just turn mine off. So my ABS doesn't know jack....:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Really, do you leave your TC on while your doing a burn out ? LOL I always just turn mine off. So my ABS doesn't know jack....:)
You can't do a burnout with the Traction Control on. It will stall the car. Believe me I have done it more time than I care to discuss.....LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
No I dont leave e TC on during a burn out! But I do leave the cork on the fork! not muther?
Any who, I went with two solonoids and it works good. Why funnel both seperate lines into one point and then split them again when they are meant to be seperate?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
No I dont leave e TC on during a burn out! But I do leave the cork on the fork! not muther?
Any who, I went with two solonoids and it works good. Why funnel both seperate lines into one point and then split them again when they are meant to be seperate?
The single solenoid is inserted in the "single" line from the master cylinder before the proportioning valve. The dual solenoid systems place the solenoids in the two brake lines at the wheel, after the proportioning valve.

JMHO, but the single solenoid sys is easier to install and has fewer parts to go bad.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
The single solenoid is inserted in the "single" line from the master cylinder before the proportioning valve. The dual solenoid systems place the solenoids in the two brake lines at the wheel, after the proportioning valve.

JMHO, but the single solenoid sys is easier to install and has fewer parts to go bad.
Ya got that Brother Doc.

And Croz....before I defaulted my TC to "off" in my race tune, I did that about once a trip to the track. Easily done.

bj

1 - 20 of 24 Posts