Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
What's up guys. New here. Just drove the GT500KR out in Utah with Ford. Put together a video with my buddy. Thought you guys would enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_OzxsIIFOk

-Gene
Thanks for the vid Gene. Looks like you had a lot of fun flogging the KR.
BTW you could save the $35,000 difference between the Gt500 and the KR .With a few bolt on parts costing a few thousand a GT500 can have the same suspension as the KR and also more power. Just not a carbon fiber hood, but the GT500 does come with an aluminum hood which is also light.

Just a couple of minor corrections in the vid though :
(1) The GT500 weighs 3920 Lbs ,the Kr a bit less not 4100lbs like what was said in the vid.
(2) The GT500 has 500+ Hp from the factory not 490 HP

George..........

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

:)

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I had no idea the KR is 80K that is just crazy. The best bang for the buck is GT500 - Gears - Exhaust - Shifter - Suspension Work - new TVS with new mapping an air-intake etc, guessing you would have less than 10K in the above mods which would be 20,000 + less and it would just kill a KR and would equal the playing field of a Z06. Ford could have really sealed the deal if they would have put the stang on a diet. Having a car with 500hp is impressive and sounds good on paper but not at almost 4K pounds. Could you imagine this car at a 3500lbs not sure what it would have taken to get to that weight but this thing would do everything better, brake, turn, accel. Racing motorcycles you learn very fast that weight is not your friend :) I could deal without a back seat, for some that is not an option but I would have checked the box for no back seat. Lighter rims, a few inches shorter, it could have been done.

You know the S281 Saleen Extreme only weights 3620 according to my pamphlet. I know Ford was trying to keep the cost down on the car but it seems it always gets hammered for its weight. I think Carol should have had more control over this car. :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I forgot to mention... thanks for the video I did like it and would like to see more :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I gotta say,

while everyone is bashing it,

the guy is laughing his head off and loving every minute of it.

Part I hate is, when he says, "It hasn't gotten over being a mustang." WTF! Who lwet this guy drive it if he has such a hang up over mustangs..

Then he complains about a price tag of 80k. Well what can match it at 80k. He mentioned Z06? How much is a Z06? Probably more I'd guess. Lets step back to a standard gt500 and with appropriate upgrade done yourself, at local performace shop, you could easily get the handling, and acceleration upgrades at a lesser cost to put you at or above the performance of a KR500.

Granted, the weight issue is going to be hard to solve, but hey, you can still put a wife, and 2 kids in the car (plus 1 more if your wife is expecting), and you can't do THAT in any other car in this performance range that I am aware of.

SO I say - wipe the grin off your face and buy one! to whoever was bashing it on the vid...

TD

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I gotta say,

while everyone is bashing it,

the guy is laughing his head off and loving every minute of it.

Part I hate is, when he says, "It hasn't gotten over being a mustang." WTF! Who lwet this guy drive it if he has such a hang up over mustangs..

Then he complains about a price tag of 80k. Well what can match it at 80k. He mentioned Z06? How much is a Z06? Probably more I'd guess. Lets step back to a standard gt500 and with appropriate upgrade done yourself, at local performace shop, you could easily get the handling, and acceleration upgrades at a lesser cost to put you at or above the performance of a KR500.

Granted, the weight issue is going to be hard to solve, but hey, you can still put a wife, and 2 kids in the car (plus 1 more if your wife is expecting), and you can't do THAT in any other car in this performance range that I am aware of.

SO I say - wipe the grin off your face and buy one! to whoever was bashing it on the vid...

TD

Yeah I have noticed that everyone who has gotten behind the wheel to do a test drive of either the GT500 or the GT500KR has had that same grin on their faces while hammering these cars.
This guy actually said that he really liked the KR . It handled everything he could throw at it and then some.
He just didn't think it was priced right....most people don't.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The KR was built for the car collector, not the everyday blue collered joe blow that works hard to feed his family.

Is the GT500KR better then the GT500 in performance?....Slightly

Can/Could/Should the KR be better for the price?........... Absolutely

Can we take our GT500's & make them perform better then a Stock KR or Super Snake for less money?.......................Without a doubt

Our cars are the only true 4-seater muscle cars made & for magazine writers to compare our cars with less weight and/or more horse power 2-seater sports cars just proves we are all in a class of our own. IMHO the writers/editors can't stand it, so they have to say some negative things to sound Intelligent or non-bias. Secretly they all want to say it's the best of both worlds for the money, but they can't for fear of never getting the opportunity to drive cool cars again for writing a positve article against their cash cow advertisers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had no idea the KR is 80K that is just crazy. The best bang for the buck is GT500 - Gears - Exhaust - Shifter - Suspension Work - new TVS with new mapping an air-intake etc, guessing you would have less than 10K in the above mods which would be 20,000 + less and it would just kill a KR and would equal the playing field of a Z06. Ford could have really sealed the deal if they would have put the stang on a diet. Having a car with 500hp is impressive and sounds good on paper but not at almost 4K pounds. Could you imagine this car at a 3500lbs not sure what it would have taken to get to that weight but this thing would do everything better, brake, turn, accel. Racing motorcycles you learn very fast that weight is not your friend :) I could deal without a back seat, for some that is not an option but I would have checked the box for no back seat. Lighter rims, a few inches shorter, it could have been done.

You know the S281 Saleen Extreme only weights 3620 according to my pamphlet. I know Ford was trying to keep the cost down on the car but it seems it always gets hammered for its weight. I think Carol should have had more control over this car. :boohoo:
Carol isn't the answer....Coletti is. He needs to get back in the fold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts