Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback on backroad behavior of the 500. I spent considerable time driving a 350 R on our backroads here in upstate NY. On anything less than perfect pavement, I experienced the same behavior that Car and Driver wrote about in there long term wrap up. The car followed road imperfections like a” drug sniffing dog” . Absolutely unnerving and you constantly had to stay alert. New pavement, no issues. However , how many pool table surfaces do we drive on ? Same roads in my Z07 .... a non issue.

Does anyone have any real world driving experience with the 500 ? I haven’t seen anything written on this in all the road tests. The track world doesn’t translate to what we drive on.

tks!

·
#1 Mike!
8,916 Posts
The GT350's have a tendency to tramline on uneven surfaces. It's the way the car's suspension was designed for track performance. I found it to be very prevalent on my 2019 GT350 with the stock Michelin Cup 2 tires. I changed over to Michelin A/S 3 tires and the tramlining disappeared. It can also be the suspension parameters on the car. You don't give any info about the GT350 year, mods, etc. so I don't know what is causing the tramlining. If your suspension settings are stock, it's most likely the tires. Mine was factory suspension set up and the tire replacement eliminated the "hunting dog" issue. There also was no noticeable difference in handling, albeit, the Cup 2's do stick better in the summer months when its hot. As far as the GT500 (2020) goes, It has a very similar suspension as the 350; however, the base model doesn't use the Cup 2 tires. I've not read or heard anyone complaining about tramlining with the new base GT500. The new GT500 with the carbon fiber track pack option does use the Michelin Cup 2 tires, but I've read no complaints about tramlining. The 07-14 MY's don't seem to have the issue at all, regardless of the tire design.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
The 07-14 MY's don't seem to have the issue at all, regardless of the tire design.
I had tramlining with the OEM asymmetrical Goodyears that came in the Performance Package. The 07-14 also had much narrower front tires than the S550 Shelby's. But like you state, this is a tire issue. I ran 285 Michelin Pilot Super Sports prior to the Sport Cup 2s in my Shelby. The Sport Cups do introduce some amount of tramlining that did not exist with the Super Sports. Smooth pavement does not exist in Louisiana.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. this was a 2018 350R , no mods and stock alignment. Interesting enough, the car blew the motor with about 3k miles . Ford took the car back and paid my friend the over MSRP price paid and the cost to expel the car !! He's back to his Ferraris and Porsches. Short lived American muscle experience for him but at least I got to drive it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,661 Posts
Looking for some feedback on backroad behavior of the 500. I spent considerable time driving a 350 R on our backroads here in upstate NY. On anything less than perfect pavement, I experienced the same behavior that Car and Driver wrote about in there long term wrap up. The car followed road imperfections like a” drug sniffing dog” . Absolutely unnerving and you constantly had to stay alert. New pavement, no issues. However , how many pool table surfaces do we drive on ? Same roads in my Z07 .... a non issue.

Does anyone have any real world driving experience with the 500 ? I haven’t seen anything written on this in all the road tests. The track world doesn’t translate to what we drive on.

tks!
First off, welcome to the forum!

I currently have a base model 2020 GT500. As @03reptile mentioned, the base cars have Michelin PS4 tires; 305/315 front/rear. I have not experienced any tramlining with the car. I am switching to a CFTP car that has the SC2 tires (same widths). I don’t know if the CFTP car will tramline or not. I can report when it arrives. I’ve only driven a CFTP car at the track.

If you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,661 Posts
thanks guys. this was a 2018 350R , no mods and stock alignment. Interesting enough, the car blew the motor with about 3k miles . Ford took the car back and paid my friend the over MSRP price paid and the cost to expel the car !! He's back to his Ferraris and Porsches. Short lived American muscle experience for him but at least I got to drive it.
I have read a few of these stories. I’ve also read of blown GT350 motors where the owner had mods/tune and were left holding the bag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts