Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you interested in adding a Homelink module to your car there is a really good write-up at:
http://forums.themustangsource.com/showpost.php?p=5592480&postcount=1
It requires that you cut into the overhead console (Coupes only) for installation. For those of you worried about the hazard to your console ($480 for Console w/alarm sensors?) you can find them on ebay for $100 + shipping. Item #200365012110

Homelink modules can be found for around $30 +shipping

Non-sensor consoles are quite a bit cheaper.

I bought a set of Lincoln LS sun visors with the hopes that they would fit the GT500, but no such luck so I had to cut the Homelink module out and install it in the overhead console.

It works great and quite a bit cheaper (& easier to install) than the $400 mirrors even if you have to buy an overhead console. I took my time and got it right the 1st time, so no need to buy another console. :pimp:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
What I did in my '06 Saleen was to buy a auto dimming mirror with a compass and home link on e-bay for around $160. I still can't believe that Ford has a car for $50K + and the mirror doesn't have home link. I have an 08 GT500 convertible. In this case Ford didn't have a better idea. Leave it to the bean counters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Homelink modules can be found for around $30 +shipping

Non-sensor consoles are quite a bit cheaper.

It works great and quite a bit cheaper (& easier to install) than the $400 mirrors even if you have to buy an overhead console. I took my time and got it right the 1st time, so no need to buy another console. :pimp:

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

If you have a moment-would u post a pic or 2 or your HL module installed in the overhead console.. Really want to replace that ugly stupid clicker.:( Also any pitfalls to avoid during process. thanks....Phil

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a moment-would u post a pic or 2 or your HL module installed in the overhead console.. Really want to replace that ugly stupid clicker.:( Also any pitfalls to avoid during process. thanks....Phil
Phil,
Here is a pic of mine after installation, but there are more and better pics in the installation article. This link may work better.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=469898&highlight=homelink

I think the only additions I could make to Andretti1's post are:
(I removed the sensor module to work on the console: 2 screws & wire connector)
1. I used a wood clamp(?) (a med "C" clamp would also work) to hold the faceplate in place while the glue set-up. I put a piece of wood across the face plate and another across the back of the console so the clamp would make better contact.

2. If you have the console with the alarm sensors the sensor module will hold the HL module if you put about a 1/2" wood filler between the HL & the sensor module. (I did tape the module to the console before adding the wood filler and sensor module to hold it down)

Also, I did a "cut & paste" on Andretti1's post for future reference and save it as a "Word" document.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Perfect. You are the MAN.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anyone know if the upper counsole in the GT500 is the same as the one in the GT or the V6? I loked in a friends 10' GT and it looks identical. I was going to get one from a salvage yard since the are over $500 new. Just nned to know if one from a non GT500 will work.

.....Ken

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know if the upper counsole in the GT500 is the same as the one in the GT or the V6? I loked in a friends 10' GT and it looks identical. I was going to get one from a salvage yard since the are over $500 new. Just nned to know if one from a non GT500 will work.

.....Ken
Hi Ken,
I would think they are all the same except for those with alarm sensors, and those with a switch for the vert top. I don't think it would be practical or necessary to have a diff console for the GT500s.

If you want to make sure, borrow your friend's and see if it will fit. Just slip your fingers under the edges and pull it down, (mine was pretty tight) then unplug the lights. It's a very simple removal/installation.

Also, look on ebay; the non alarm sensor consoles were pretty cheap.

Basic Console, $38 w/shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Gt-Lx-Overhead-Roof-Console-06-08-Coupe-Black-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea6af8f10QQitemZ200365018896QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

W/Alarm module, $83 w/shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Overhead-Roof-Console-Coupe-06-08-Black-Alarm-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335cab0884QQitemZ220598044804QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If you don't mind the extra expense, the console w/alarm seems to work better in that it has a metal brace for the alarm that will help hold the HomeLink in.

Good Luck! :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is it the same piece for the 2010?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it the same piece for the 2010?
They look the same to me. You said you have a friend w/2010 GT, borrow his and try it. Just pull straight down to release the clips and unplug it; take less than a minute to remove or install it.

I looked at Cobra Fred's '11 and it looked the same to me. :silly:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I am not able to see any of the photos on that link you gave. Can you post pics of yours?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
They look the same to me. You said you have a friend w/2010 GT, borrow his and try it. Just pull straight down to release the clips and unplug it; take less than a minute to remove or install it.

I looked at Cobra Fred's '11 and it looked the same to me. :silly:

Kewl. I'll see if he's OK with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts