Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

321 - 340 of 350 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
617 Posts
Ok.so I went a bought a tool I never though I’d use lol, A stethoscope. Turns out noise is in fact the powersteering pump. What confuses me is why no noise on idle or when turn the wheel only when rpm is higher? Isn’t that odd?
thanks
Glad to hear you found the source of the problem!

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,552 Posts
Ok.so I went a bought a tool I never though I’d use lol, A stethoscope. Turns out noise is in fact the powersteering pump. What confuses me is why no noise on idle or when turn the wheel only when rpm is higher? Isn’t that odd?
thanks
First off, that is a great tool and sometimes the only tool I have found to find tough vacuum leaks and other noises like...the location of what’s causing a squeaking floor. Secondly, glad you found it was the ps pump. I wasn’t going to post that again like I did in the other thread for fear of beating a dead horse. Glad you found it, and now you know what the fix is!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What tires do you have on the car? With the power you've put into it you're going to either need to commit to an extremely sticky R-Compound tire like the Toyo R888-R or a full drag radial.

At stock GT500 power levels that car would be an absolute monster and be at the limits of most street tires you could put on it. With the power you're making you're asking for trouble on anything other than a dedicated dry weather summer tire and even then you're still not going to be able to use 1st gear.

I would wager that car would be quicker with half the horsepower anywhere but a 1/2 mile event.

·
Registered
factory five 1965 AC cobra 5.4 gt50
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
First off, that is a great tool and sometimes the only tool I have found to find tough vacuum leaks and other noises like...the location of what’s causing a squeaking floor. Secondly, glad you found it was the ps pump. I wasn’t going to post that again like I did in the other thread for fear of beating a dead horse. Glad you found it, and now you know what the fix is!
Never would have thought how useful this tool would be lol.ordered new pump today so we’ll see

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
What tires do you have on the car? With the power you've put into it you're going to either need to commit to an extremely sticky R-Compound tire like the Toyo R888-R or a full drag radial.

At stock GT500 power levels that car would be an absolute monster and be at the limits of most street tires you could put on it. With the power you're making you're asking for trouble on anything other than a dedicated dry weather summer tire and even then you're still not going to be able to use 1st gear.

I would wager that car would be quicker with half the horsepower anywhere but a 1/2 mile event.
NT01 315’s and they might aswell be 14” donuts ??‍♂.1st&2nd gear are just to dangerous traction wise so there pretty much useless at the moment lol.if I don’t let off I can easily put 6th gear in smoke.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
thanks
Glad you found it!

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,552 Posts
Never would have thought how useful this tool would be lol.ordered new pump today so we’ll see
Yeah, if somebody saw a picture of my in my crawl space with a headlamp on and a stethoscope listening to where the floor meets the floor joists, they'd think I'd gone crazy. But with my wife stepping on the squeaky spot on the floor above, I can isolate the exact spot of the squeak. I've done this in my current and last house. :)

Reactions: Goose17 and Buttinz

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
thanks
congratulations Sherlock Holmes !!!!

Reactions: Buttinz

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
thanks
I would say just a bad bearing that can't handle the higher RPM .... probably would have gotten noisier over time, even at low RPM as it completely wore out. Best of luck ... I appreciate you fixing it before shipping it my way. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Im changing wire on alt to 4g can someone just clarify whether it should go to battery or starter?I know usually they go Directly to the battery but these new alternators are weird LOL
EE54C702-A046-4373-A07C-FDE28D9FC364.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Excellent !!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Im starting to think my fuel pressure issue is too small of a pump? It’s fine for about 10/15 minutes then it just drops. I have a single 340lph?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Typically people go from factory dual pumps to a triple pump setup. I don't know if anyone has done a big single pump that wasn't a massive external pump or something similar.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
NT01 315’s and they might aswell be 14” donuts ??‍♂.1st&2nd gear are just to dangerous traction wise so there pretty much useless at the moment lol.if I don’t let off I can easily put 6th gear in smoke.
See if you can find the R888R's in your size. It may be your only hope for hooking up without going to a drag radial.

How much power is it making now again? Have you considered de-modifying it back to factory power levels? I honestly think that even at the factory 540hp it's going to be scary as hell in most of the available gear ratios.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Whats the latest news on the bad ass GT500 cobra??

321 - 340 of 350 Posts