Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Change of tune at FREDERICK MOTORS, the Ford dealership in Fredneck, MD. After taking the Asst. Service Mgr, a Certified Master Technician and SVT Master Tech, for a drive yesterday and after we returned having him, while I was standing there, tell the other service writer to 'order the parts for the TSB'; and at which time I asked the service writer; 'you will be doing the full TSB right?, and having him reply yes; NOW I get a call this morning saying that the Service Director, a Jerry Lenga, 'reviewed' the service request and is now denying it!! They have made a complete 180 degree turn, overnight!! The Master Tech says my car is exhibiting the problem, and they agreed to do the repairs, yesterday. I'll now be taking this directly to Ford in Dearborn and getting the COO to address it. I'm done with this dealership. BTW Two of my neighbors have '08 Edge Limted Edition cross-overs. Both of them have had issues with getting followup service and warranty related work completed at FREDERICK MOTORS. IMO this dealership is a real POS, they both bought their vehicles there, so customer loyalty doesn't mean much to them either. When I was speaking with the 'Service Director' Jerry Lenga, I asked him about the turn around, and was firm with him, he got defensive; then when I expressed my frustration with his decision, and what I was going to do, which was to escalate to Dearborn, MI; he said 'are you threatening me!'. I didn't respond to that. But yeah, I was 'threatening him professionally' if that's how he takes me escalating beyond his level!!! What a moron! So now I'm reading the SEC filings to get the names I need to start this unpleasant process I have had to go through with two other US manufactured automobile, both Chrysler products, most recently a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that was bought back from me, after I personally spoke with the COO of Chrysler about the issues it had. I was very hopeful when I purchased this Ford SVT premier vehicle, and now I have to go through a bunch of BS to get an acknowledged engineering and manufacturing error serviced, and have the manufacturer live up to their commitments and stand behind their engineering and manufacturing processes! This really sucks and is yet another example of why this country is on it's decline. I had a Lexus SC400 is the early '90s, it was a 1991, the old two door coupe, they looked a little like a blotted Jaguar XKE. Anyway, the only issue I had with that car was a failed seal in the left headlight assembly, an all in one enclosure. I took the car down to the dealership, where I DIDN'T buy it, since I now lived in norther CA; anyway, the dealership put me in a loaner, LS400, and said the car would be ready later that day. When I came to pick up the car, they had not only replaced the faulty assembly, but also the other one, AND both of the rear taillight assemblies! I asked how much each one cost them? The front assemblies were $450 a pop, and rears were $350 a pop, in 1991 dollars!!! It's a real shame we have to go to foreign countries to find good products and companies that will stand behind them. My take is that GREED is going to be the downfall of the American automobile industry, and it's been going on for over 30 years now!!!! Just my opinion, and I realize I am now ranting way beyond a warped flywheel, however I tend to dwell on the principles behind people's and corporation's decisions, in my attempt to figure out why they do what they do!!! Soap box off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Dealers suck. Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. This is a TSB...a known issue...repair should be automatic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sounds fishy, one day they said they are going to do it and change its mind the next day. something gotta be up. we all know this tsb is a big job, who knows, maybe ford is telling the dealers to avoid it as much as possible.

sorry to hear bout the hard time at that dealership, is it possible to take it to another dealer?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Welcome to the real world, or should I say NO COMMENT! Do your home work and use your search option. This is nothing NEW.:boohoo:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the real world, or should I say NO COMMENT! Do your home work and use your search option. This is nothing NEW.:boohoo:
I'm going to assume you are commiserating with me shlbysvt, and not being a smart-ass. I have been living in this unpleasant 'real-world', or at least this particular corner of it(USA) for 53 years. I have traveled the world extensively over a period of 4.5 years, 1.5M air miles; the list of countries I've not been to is shorter than the ones I have been to, several times each, minimum. SO, I am painfully aware of the 'real-world' from many perspectives. As for automobiles, my prior experiences with Chrysler, as outlined in the diatribe I posted about my American auto manufacturer's experience is evidence of that, within the context of crappy American automobiles and service. Rather than abandon the country I love and live in, I have done what little I can to improve the situation 'here', unfortunately way too many 'others' are preoccupied with themselves; narcissism, greed and arrogance will be 'our' downfall!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealers suck. Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. This is a TSB...a known issue...repair should be automatic.
Thanks Prez. I'm now engaged with Dearborn executives, Customer Service Pres, and COO. I hate this whole process.... It is very draining. I've done this twice before, and it resulted in them buying my cars back. This time I WANT TO KEEP the car, I just want them to fix the damn thing!! I've put a lot time and money into it, making it 'mine' and I really don't want to give her up just yet.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm going to assume you are commiserating with me shlbysvt, and not being a smart-ass. I have been living in this unpleasant 'real-world', or at least this particular corner of it(USA) for 53 years. I have traveled the world extensively over a period of 4.5 years, 1.5M air miles; the list of countries I've not been to is shorter than the ones I have been to, several times each, minimum. SO, I am painfully aware of the 'real-world' from many perspectives. As for automobiles, my prior experiences with Chrysler, as outlined in the diatribe I posted about my American auto manufacturer's experience is evidence of that, within the context of crappy American automobiles and service. Rather than abandon the country I love and live in, I have done what little I can to improve the situation 'here', unfortunately way too many 'others' are preoccupied with themselves; narcissism, greed and arrogance will be 'our' downfall!
I am not being a smart ass, but if you would read the thread "Tranny Issues" from beginning to end you would see the difficulty I had for Ford to admit to the tranny issues from the get-go. I did not have to buck a dealership, but the big man himself, with help from no one on this forum or my dealership. So I improved your situation by Ford issuing a TSB. It is now up to you to find the right dealership to correct the problem. A hell of alot simpler than the ordeal I had to endure, so now maybe you can understand my lack of sympathy for your dealership dilema. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am not being a smart ass, but if you would read the thread "Tranny Issues" from beginning to end you would see the difficulty I had for Ford to admit to the tranny issues from the get-go. I did not have to buck a dealership, but the big man himself, with help from no one on this forum or my dealership. So I improved your situation by Ford issuing a TSB. It is now up to you to find the right dealership to correct the problem. A hell of alot simpler than the ordeal I had to endure, so now maybe you can understand my lack of sympathy for your dealership dilema. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.
Wow..

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, shlbysvt, thank you for taking point way back when for all of us, and making a major contribution to the TSB finally being done by Ford. I have read the Tranny Thread(s) for 3 months now, since I joined this forum; not all committed to memory though. The sense I had was that nearly everyone on this forum was supportive of those experiencing problems with their clutches and transmissions; with the possible exception of folks that simply had, what Ford referred to as 'normal drive train noise', like the hiss during clutch en/disgagement, the minor clanging sound, goes away when you engage the clutch, that develops after the car heats up, and so on. Those folks were pointed to their GT500 Supplement, and rightfully so. It's the old RTFM. Sounds like you took a few for the betterment of the group, thank you that!

When I've had similar issues with other automobiles and trucks, my instinct dictated that I get rid of them, without taking a bath financially. So the brief example I outlined of my experiences with Chrysler, in 1992, and most recently at the end of 2006 here in MD should be an indicator that I DO understand what you went thru, and then some. Ever tried to get a COO of a major multi-national on the phone!? This time though, I actually want to KEEP the car, and get 'them' to fix it properly. So my approach has to a little different, I've already slammed the dealer for their bone-headed behaviors and deceptions. However, if anything else were to fail on this car, I will dump it a heart-beat and go buy a BMW 335 Vert, Infiniti GS-R or something else built elsewhere. I'm not going to piss my money away on a greedy, arrogant, failed industry anymore! This will absolutely be my last US auto purchase, if this one goes south! I have had to return under the 'lemon law' or otherwise, 4 out of the last 5 US manufactured automobiles I've purchased due to poor craftsmanship, engineering and/or manufacturing processes, and that includes a Mercedes Benz that was built in LA. I don't 'think' it's actually the folks building the cars, but maybe their management of the manufacturing processes and lines, the cars are engineered properly, but when it comes to execution by manufacturing, with the influence of finance, and dare I say it, the Unions; things just don't come out the door right. That ought to get a conversation going.....

I did A LOT OF RESEARCH on these cars, and Ford in general, and was pleased with what I saw Ford doing domestically and around the world, particularly in Australia; so it 'seemed' that, to me, Ford was a nimble and competitive company on a global scale; vs. the other two; which really there's only one left other than Ford, and that's GM. Chrysler will become a non-entity within 5 years, I think they'll get picked up by an Asian or Indian company. The bean counters are just dressing up the pig for a while, to make it look eatable.

Anyway, once again I've gone non-linear.....:info-smilie:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys kill me...Big smile!!! Sometimes I get just a tad caught up in things, and tend to go global, so to speak. :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You guys kill me...Big smile!!! Sometimes I get just a tad caught up in things, and tend to go global, so to speak. :grinbiginvert:
It happens to the best of us.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The bean counters are just dressing up the pig for a while, to make it look eatable.
Hey! I resemble that remark, and so does your wife. Better check with your accontant before you say anymore.:roller: Don't shoot the messenger, after all it is only metal and there are alot of other things in life to get so writhed about. This car can be replaced, but family and health are the BIG picture. Take a deep breath and find a dealership to resolve the TSB issue. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey! I resemble that remark, and so does your wife. Better check with your accontant before you say anymore.:roller: Don't shoot the messenger, after all it is only metal and there are alot of other things in life to get so writhed about. This car can be replaced, but family and health are the BIG picture. Take a deep breath and find a dealership to resolve the TSB issue. Just my two cents.
yeah thanks, i think. ;) I've had several of life's drama's hit at once over the past few months, the issues with this car being the least of all. I have a pretty good grip on life's priorities....The perceived principles involved in my experiences with Ford Service are the upsetting things for me, not the actual denial of the TSB. I know I'll get it done, eventually, one way or another.

Have a great weekend all.:roller:

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Thanks Prez. I'm now engaged with Dearborn executives, Customer Service Pres, and COO. I hate this whole process.... It is very draining. I've done this twice before, and it resulted in them buying my cars back. This time I WANT TO KEEP the car, I just want them to fix the damn thing!! I've put a lot time and money into it, making it 'mine' and I really don't want to give her up just yet.
You shouldn't need the COO. Here's the guy you need if he's still there. Class act, and handled a situation for me in a swift and professional manner:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=3916

bj

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You shouldn't need the COO. Here's the guy you need if he's still there. Class act, and handled a situation for me in a swift and professional manner:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=3916

bj
I actually settled for the Group VP of US Marketing, Sales and Service. The COO was busy. ;) I did a little email phishing and managed to get one through to him, or more accurately his Exec. Asst. a very pleasant and helpful woman. She and I just got off the phone and they are asking that I go to another dealer, of my choice, to get a 'second' opinion. Ford's position on this TSB is that it is NOT REQUIRED on all GT500s, only those exhibiting the one or more of the symptoms, which my car is; I've got the shudder when starting out in 1st (no matter how smoothly I engage the clutch), and the shifting gets sticky after about an hour or so of driving. I'll be going out to Century Ford in Mt. Airy for this second opinion. Ford differentiates this TSB from a FSA (Field Service Alert) in that the TSB is only a reference for the dealerships when a customer with a GT500 comes in and says 'I've got issues with my clutch and tranny doing......'; IMHO, since the fly-wheel has been re-designed to address the warpage, I would think that they would at least not argue and balk when a customer comes in with one or more of the symptoms identified in the TSB. I realize it is a very expensive proposition for Ford to implement this TSB on all the roughly 18,000 GT500s they built with this fly-wheel, HOWEVER, given the nature of this TSB and all the re-designed major components, I would think they would bite the bullet and do it; especially given the nature of the vehicle being limited production, and SVT, and the public exposure possible if they don't stand behind it. To do the TSB for every '07-'08 represents an out of pocket of approx. $45M, assuming their COGs and COSs is $2,500 per vehicle. A hefty amount to all of us, but just a drop in the bucket for Ford, overall. The potential in lost sales world-wide to Ford, is much higher IMHO.

Anyway, I think they are going to do it. I received a call from the Service Director in Mt. Airy about 10 minutes after I got off the phone with Dearborn. I won't have a chance to get the car down the dealership in Mt. Airy until next week sometime for the 'test-drive'. The saga continues, stay tuned.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well a week's gone by and I am now getting the TSB done. A Lynn, with the Executive Offices at Ford, called me Tues AM, but she didn't tell me just which Executive she worked for, and I didn't ask; you see I had guessed about 2-3 Sr. Exec emails, and hit 2 out of 3; I tried what I know are various standard corporate email addresses, such as [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc., you get the idea, if they don't bounce, I know they get thru. Anyway, she was very pleasant and helpful; and suggested I pick another dealer for a 'second opinion', so I told her I would go to Century Ford in Mt, Airy, MD. I went today and spoke with the Service Director; we went for a drive and he acknowledged the 'shudder' in the clutch, from the warped fly-wheel oddly enough. ;) When Lynn and I spoke on Tuesday, she must have immediately called the Service Director at Century, since within 15 minutes of hanging up the phone with her, he called me to setup the appt.; I was busy and did not have a chance to call him back until Weds. It went really well today, and they are going to do the full TSB!!! Parts on order. I was very thankful!! We'll see how the follow thru is, but I do suspect it will go well. This dealer has a good reputation, from what I've heard on the forum and from other folks... Once again I'm a happy GT500 owner. I am going to ask if I can see the new parts, and take photos while they do the work, not to document, just too see the msaters at work on my car. If they're hesitant to the idea, I won't push it; but I would like to have it as part of the ongoing pictorial history of the car, and that's exactly how I'm going to position it with them.

Going up to the Ford Nationals this weekend in Hagerstown, MD; no strip action, just going for the 'scenery'. My first Ford National, and show..

:) :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts