Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking to myself, why does the Shelby only rev out to 6000 rpm ? I mean all the dynos I have seen, I see the hp just keep going up as the hp goes up. Searching through the internet, I found this to be the only dyno going higher in the rpm-

http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/07shelby_stock-vs-tune.jpg

Is there any reason why you can't go to 6500 or 6750 rpm in these cars ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
You can goto 6500 with a new tune. VMP or Evolution's tune will raise the limit to 6500. And the reason for the 6K is insurance not to blow the motor. The motor has been tested at 6800 all day long but was decided to lock it down to 6K. No company wants you give you the bleeding edge limits just because it might cost them in the end.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
So I was thinking to myself, why does the Shelby only rev out to 6000 rpm ? I mean all the dynos I have seen, I see the hp just keep going up as the hp goes up. Searching through the internet, I found this to be the only dyno going higher in the rpm-

http://www.alternativeauto.com/images/07shelby_stock-vs-tune.jpg

Is there any reason why you can't go to 6500 or 6750 rpm in these cars ?

Thanks

It's a software limit to protect your engine.When you start modifying your engine (pulley, cai,tune)you get more HP but you also put more strain on the motor parts.You can increase the RPM limit with a hand held programmer but how much do you want to strain those motor parts?You are shortening the life span of these internal parts.These software limits are there to protect you from yourslf.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Sorry Busababy we must have been typing at the same time,don't mean to be redundant.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Or you can be like me....tooo slow on the trigger to get out of it when it really spins with no wheel hop. I need to put the limiter back in. Evo's isn't limited to 6500. It's turned off.

bj

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Oh I would want a limit...so not to drop a valve down on the piston....with all my other stangs I would get valve float when deep in the red which like to said if your spinning you sometimes can't help it... I had the big VDO tach with the shift light that would blind you at redline but still with these cars I like the limit at 6500. Of course the built in shift light and bell will only let you go to 6K but I know when I hear that I have a second or 2 before I have to shift.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I was just making sure you can go above 6K rpm

The motor has been tested at 6800 all day long
awesome, then I will have my limiter set about 6600 rpm to keep things safe ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts