Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This popped up on my YouTube feed. Good matchup! Hard to compete with the lightning fast Porsche shifts though.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,021 Posts
The big thing that I am pulling away from all these videos is the mustangs incredible bang for the buck
What did the guy say..the Porsche is like 75k more! For that much more the gt350 shouldn't even compete.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,242 Posts
Yup, interesting, but you could buy a GT350 and also a base 2020 GT500 for the cost of the Porsche. Wonder what would happen if you threw some steering mod money at the GT350 to correct the understeer? I know they are comparing factory cars, but lets leak a little money to bring the cost of the tracked GT350 up to 1/2 of the Porsche. Then try this again.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Impressive that, basically a 5 year old GT350 + minor suspension tweaks and tires is running with a new Carrera S. Yes, per another thread/ comment today (sssssvt), those tires are probably worth a couple of seconds per lap. But still. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Good on Ford. Still loving that GT350. Crazy revving engine and manual....one of the last - if not THE last - of that breed.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,548 Posts
Impressive that, basically a 5 year old GT350 + minor suspension tweaks and tires is running with a new Carrera S. Yes, per another thread/ comment today (sssssvt), those tires are probably worth a couple of seconds per lap. But still. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Good on Ford. Still loving that GT350. Crazy revving engine and manual....one of the last - if not THE last - of that breed.
Exactly. Porsche has got to be tired of their beloved 911 getting pitted with a Mustang, let alone an S trim 911. And this is on a regular basis. Got to sting a little Porsche.

A 911 is what I craved and the 350R gave me all of that and then some without sacrificing my love for V8 Shelby’s.
The 350’s are magnificent machines that are truly a driver’s car. A dying breed if not already in the coffin.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
The big thing that I am pulling away from all these videos is the mustangs incredible bang for the buck
What did the guy say..the Porsche is like 75k more! For that much more the gt350 shouldn't even compete.
^^^ this!

Cool video too. I liked the side by side driver POV and the track diagram in the middle.

I like Randy Pobst. Dude can drive to say the least! Those parts of the video where he's hanging out the tail and smoking the tires at god only knows how fast is COOL! He's fair in his commentary on all vehicles.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Exactly. Porsche has got to be tired of their beloved 911 getting pitted with a Mustang, let alone an S trim 911. And this is on a regular basis. Got to sting a little Porsche.

A 911 is what I craved and the 350R gave me all of that and then some without sacrificing my love for V8 Shelby’s.
The 350’s are magnificent machines that are truly a driver’s car. A dying breed if not already in the coffin.
I'm in the same boat @Evil_E . The amazing thing is that at the end of the video they mention that this new model Carrera S (not the upcoming GTS, GT3, or of course GT3RS) is almost as fast as the 2012 997.2 GT3 RS. That's serious progress. Of course the fact that the GT350 is only about 4 tenths off of the carbon fiber Lexus LFA is pretty impressive too.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Also - and I love Randy Pobst - I think he's bs'ing about the sound of the 992. The new 3.0T's don't sound the same as the n/a 3.8's and 4.0s. I recall being at track days and the 996 911 Turbos would go by you with just a whoosh...barely a sound. It was the price you paid for Turbo power.

As well, difference between those "Turbo" and the new 3.0T is that the Turbo's were typical - hit the gas, one-one-thousand, push like a freight train all the way to redline and catch the shift to the next gear. I have yet to drive one, so I can't say I'm an expert - but all the talk of low-end torque is great, but a 911 is not a dump truck....it should coax you to redline the car, and not short-shift so you can catch the wave of torque.

My $0.02

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Also - and I love Randy Pobst - I think he's bs'ing about the sound of the 992. The new 3.0T's don't sound the same as the n/a 3.8's and 4.0s. I recall being at track days and the 996 911 Turbos would go by you with just a whoosh...barely a sound. It was the price you paid for Turbo power.

As well, difference between those "Turbo" and the new 3.0T is that the Turbo's were typical - hit the gas, one-one-thousand, push like a freight train all the way to redline and catch the shift to the next gear. I have yet to drive one, so I can't say I'm an expert - but all the talk of low-end torque is great, but a 911 is not a dump truck....it should coax you to redline the car, and not short-shift so you can catch the wave of torque.

My $0.02
They sound a lot different inside than outside. I was actually really surprised by the sounds the 3.0 T made in the 2018 GTS that I drove. What I can't tell you is how much of that is actual vs how much is created by the stereo. The GTS I drove would pull much like a GT500. Big torque everywhere and it just pulled to redline.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Fair enough.

One of my unimportant goals is to buy a 996TT....I'm one of the few that likes that design... and turbo swap it to 600+whp. Missed the boat on those cars a few years back when they were selling for $40-$45K (CDN). Same cars, years older, are now in the $60-$80K range.

One-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, whoosh.....;)

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,548 Posts
You better jump on that 996TT. As you pointed out, they are gaining value and popularity. Collectors are reminding themselves that the 996TT didn't have the intermediate shaft design and are to the point of looking past the ugly headlights (sorry man, not my fav). The motors were also forged through and through. Very bullet proof engines. Very fast cars.

These are also limited production cars with many hand built aspects and bespoke options. Paint to sample, ball glove leather, etc.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It received minor tweaks to the steering geometry up front, but nothing that would lead to a large improvement in lap times over the multiple previous tests they've done with the R. This was the first time the base GT350 had been a part of their best drivers car test and compared to the R it received much more drastic improvements.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts