Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
It sounds like to me we have 3 blocks then. 15-17, 18-19, and 2020. News to me. Thought there was only two.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm guessing there's a difference somewhere in that chain. If you note what I posted above, the part number indicates the block is on it's third revision with the A and B suffix.
Yes i did notice that and one was built in the USA and the B was in Canada and was lighter.

·
Registered
898 Posts
So does anyone know if they stamp the block with the M-6010-M52x part number. It would be so much easier to just be able to look at my block and put and find out with 100% certainty.

·
#1 Mike!
8,890 Posts
So this is really getting difficult, representative1 at FP says no the 500 has cross plane crank and 350 has flat plane crank. I wanted to say well DUH but I didn't. I said no, I'm just trying to understand if they use the same block, I understand the 500 crank is different and it is supercharged but the actual block and things they did to strengthen it. He said I need to send you to someone else.

Number 2 representative says sure why would they be the same, the 18 and 19 350 use the same block so why wouldn't they take use the 500 block. I said the 500 block wasn't really released in 18, so how could it be. He said the 18 and 19 are identical. I said ok, but can you confirm that, so now he's going to talk to the engineers and email be an answer.

Wow, that was exhausting.

Stay tuned.

Jim
Agreed! Different person; different answer! This thread is reminding me of the Amazon spark plug order fiasco! Hopefully you get a straight answer somewhere down the line! I'm going with its the same as the 2020 GT500 block just to aggravate Eric and Tim! Maybe bossnine can find the answer.😊

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
So does anyone know if they stamp the block with the M-6010-M52x part number. It would be so much easier to just be able to look at my block and put and find out with 100% certainty.
Not with certainty, but no. That part number is Ford Performance's part number, but the service engine block will have a different part number. Doubtful you'll find that part no. stamped or cast on the block too. I found GR3Z-6010-E for a 2018 GT350 and R. It replaces the -C and -D blocks and has been discontinued. I'm sure the block is continuing to evolve and when old stock is gone, they're gone. Note the 3 different block part nos. by Ford Performance. Now, I did notice that the GT350 and GT350R service short blocks had different part numbers for 2018. I doubt any of the real information will be revealed unless someone writes a technical article or book from someone in the middle of the engine development. Hint - he's not going to be the guy fielding phone calls in the front office.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Agreed! Different person; different answer! This thread is reminding me of the Amazon spark plug order fiasco! Hopefully you get a straight answer somewhere down the line! I'm going with its the same as the 2020 GT500 block just to aggravate Eric and Tim! Maybe bossnine can find the answer.😊
Don't diminish how special all the 2020 cars will be. :) I don't even have mine yet.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ok here's the question Steve Horn at FP Technical Support Group asked the engineer:
Cust called asking if the 2020 GT500 and the 2018/19 GT350 use the same block?

Here's the answer from the engineer:
No, same casting. But different machined block.

I'm going to reply with some of the forum replies to see if I can get any more details.

Jim

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I suspect the GT350 doesn't need the longer head bolts, so I could see that being a machineing difference. Does the GT350 have piston squirters?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,568 Posts
I asked someone “in the know” about when the GT500 block started showing up in the GT350. Here was the response:

“The block casting is now the same, but the machined block is obviously different....I believe it started at the beginning of this year.”

·
Registered
898 Posts
I asked someone “in the know” about when the GT500 block started showing up in the GT350. Here was the response:

“The block casting is now the same, but the machined block is obviously different....I believe it started at the beginning of this year.”
well that's kinda the same answer I got, let's see if they expand on it. I combined all the replies to dig a little deeper into this.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts