Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The earlier GT350s had a traditional style screw-on oil filter. Apparently the harmonic vibrations of the flat plane crank can cause these filters to back off. That appears to be the root cause in this fire. Not sure when the change occurred, but the later years of the GT350 have a cartridge style oil filter to eliminate this problem. The 2020 GT500 also has the cartilage style filter.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found when the change occurred:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sad to see that happen. This was also the car that was formerly owned by Matt from Obsessive Garage.

Here's the TSB and Ford's "resolution".

If I had one of the cars affected, I would convert it to the canister type filter to prevent any issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
Ugh. Sorry to see this video. Feel bad for the girl and guy. What a mess to have to try and work through to get resolution.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,058 Posts
Glad she is ok. She seemed to hang out in the car too long for my comfort though.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad she is ok. She seemed to hang out in the car too long for my comfort though.
I was thinking the same thing. At the end of the video, she said she didn’t know there was a fire. She said she saw a “flash” and thought the engine simply blew and that was it. The fire was down low and took awhile to get big enough for her to realize egress was necessary.

·
Registered
200 Posts
On the 16's and earlier 17's with traditional filter, tightening the filter to factory recommended torque specs using the provided filter wrench should solve the problem.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the 16's and earlier 17's with traditional filter, tightening the filter to factory recommended torque specs using the provided filter wrench should solve the problem.
If I owned an earlier car, I’d swap to the new style to rule out any possibility of this happening.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know the part number of the filter to canister conversion kit?
Call AutoNation Ford in White Bear Lake MN. Their parts guys will look it up and hook you up! They have the best prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts