Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been seeing a lot of people with the grille bezels in the lower grille. I was wondering how many of you actually have the Ford brake cooling kit installed and how many just have the bezels? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ll go first. I have the Ford kit installed. (JLT bezels though)

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I have the JLT brake cooling kit but ran the hoses to my intake box.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Mine are functional and also have the built-in screens to keep rocks and other small road debris from entering the brake duct and possibly making its way back to the spinning rotor. <<This is especially important if the car is raced on a road course where there is plenty of debris, including pieces of rubber....

....but we also know that road debris is an issue on the street, ask any 2013/14 GT500 owner who has had their H/E punctured by a small stone coming in at high speed...

R

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Mine are functional and also have the built-in screens to keep rocks and other small road debris from entering the brake duct and possibly making its way back to the spinning rotor. <<This is especially important if the car is raced on a road course where there is plenty of debris, including pieces of rubber....

....but we also know that road debris is an issue on the street, ask any 2013/14 GT500 owner who has had their H/E punctured by a small stone coming in at high speed...

R
Did you make the screen yourself? Looks great.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Did you make the screen yourself? Looks great.
^^Thanks, I did not realize that there were screens in those brake cooling inlets until a GT500KR member on Team Shelby was talking about them, that was a few months ago.

No, they were part of the standard Super Snake install........The GT500KR got them too. I am not sure who made them for Shelby.

R

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Something else that is different on the Super Snake from the GT500KR (Ford Racing) brake duct kit is the air passage behind the lower grill inlet. The Ford Racing (GT500KR) brake duct kit has a flexible hose that attaches/hose clamps directly behind the lower grill opening on each side. The Super Snake has a plastic plenum that attaches to the rear of the lower grill and then the flexible hoses attach to that plenum on each side and route to the rotor shields. The Super Snake brake duct plenums are larger diameter than the duct hose and allows for water and other heavier debris to fall to the bottom and drain through removable drain plugs. The kits that have a hose connected directly to the rear of the lower grill and go straight to the rotor rear shield direct anything that enters the brake duct bezel to the rotor. It is somewhat hard to see, and this is the only photo I have available, but the rear/outlet of the plastic plenum is shown in the picture below and the duct hose is connected to the end of the plenum. Also, seen in the picture is a long Black tie wrap that I added to keep the flexible brake duct from contacting anything in that area. The tie wrap is seen running through the vehicle tie down hole in the frame rail and running around the brake hose....Shelby attached the hose to the front sway bar with a swivel clamp, also shown in the picture, I added the long Black tie wrap just as an extra precaution.....

R

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good and makes sense. The only thing I didn’t like about the KR kit was the routing of the flex hose. It’s a precise fit or it rubs.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Looks good and makes sense. The only thing I didn’t like about the KR kit was the routing of the flex hose. It’s a precise fit or it rubs. View attachment 202222
Yes, as with all of this, the hose has to move with turning (Right and Left) wheels and also stay clear of spinning things like tires. It is something that needs to be considered and planned when doing the install.

R

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes, and I keep breaking the zip ties. Those orange hoses are pretty strong. The Ford kit comes with the hoses, dust plate, and some bracket/connector pieces to install somewhere in the front of the car. The front bezels are unique to the KR and are Shelby pieces, but as mentioned they were probably sourced from someone else. I drilled the front holes out on the lower grille on two separate cars. One used the JLT pieces and the other the KR pieces. I just used patience and it paid off in both cases. There's already a hole in the back side ready for drilling. I also prefer the KR bezels because of the added screen. I've collected many bees and grasshoppers in mine.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Sorry my photo is a bit hazy, this will show what @Robert M is referring to. This is the setup on the 40th Anniversary cars that was later used on the Super Snakes. While this is a great setup, it is a pita to replace the hoses or pull the front bumper due to the hoses being attached with rivets.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Sorry my photo is a bit hazy, this will show what @Robert M is referring to. This is the setup on the 40th Anniversary cars that was later used on the Super Snakes. While this is a great setup, it is a pita to replace the hoses or pull the front bumper due to the hoses being attached with rivets.

View attachment 202251
^^^^^Thanks for that picture. I have no "front area" undercar pictures like that of mine.

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts