Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw it at the theater, but was definitely excited to get it on dvd so I could watch it in my theater room. Man, what a great movie. For anyone who hasnt seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. EXCELLENT movie without a doubt, especially to us gear heads.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I'm going to watch it based on all the good reviews...
Thought the casting of a snivelling little Libtard (Matt Damon) as the Big Bad Azz Texan was a stretch and a poor decision, but I'll check it out. 🏁

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
374 Posts
We got it through prime and it was really good. I have Shelby’ biography and the movie did a great job of hitting key points, but also giving great insight into the friendships Shelby had...and didn’t.

good times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to watch it based on all the good reviews...
Thought the casting of snivelling little Libtard (Matt Damon) as the Big Bad Azz Texan was a stretch and a poor decision, but I'll check it out. 🏁
I do like Matt Damon despite his political views (I couldnt care any less what any 'public figure' has to say about global warming, politics, or whatever), so I typically just ignore that part as much as possible. Considering 99.9% are so out of touch with 'normal, everyday life', IMO they have zero perspective to actually make any sort of social/political/economical commentary with the idea of 'converting' people to their way of thought.

I'm not gonna lie...i was just as concerned. In a million years, I certainly didnt see Damon pulling off being Carroll Shelby. but in all honesty, he does do a reasonably good job. Good enough that I was able to enjoy the movie without his performance creating a distraction.

I'd highly suggest giving the movie a shot. All the different cars alone make it worth it. Everytime I saw a Shelby Daytona in the background, I ogled it for as long as it was in the frame.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,781 Posts
Loved this movie. Even my friends that are not car guys liked it.
I’ll be adding the dvd to my collection.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I do like Matt Damon despite his political views (I couldnt care any less what any 'public figure' has to say about global warming, politics, or whatever), so I typically just ignore that part as much as possible. Considering 99.9% are so out of touch with 'normal, everyday life', IMO they have zero perspective to actually make any sort of social/political/economical commentary with the idea of 'converting' people to their way of thought.

I'm not gonna lie...i was just as concerned. In a million years, I certainly didnt see Damon pulling off being Carroll Shelby. but in all honesty, he does do a reasonably good job. Good enough that I was able to enjoy the movie without his performance creating a distraction.

I'd highly suggest giving the movie a shot. All the different cars alone make it worth it. Everytime I saw a Shelby Daytona in the background, I ogled it for as long as it was in the frame.

If you are interested in the genesis of the Enzo/Carroll rivalry, here's a great DVD to add to your collection.

I bought this years ago in Dublin and brought it back, the DVD is 2008 but I think the Documentary came out way back in 2000.

The Vintage Racing Footage and Audio is amazing and it is very clear that Shelby really didn't like the Italian Racer. LOL!

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
284 Posts
@TedShred and @blackcad55
Just bought one from eBay. $10.24 shipped.
eBay item number:
Not BLU-RAY though if that's what you need/want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I picked up the DVD this morning on my way to work. I don't own many DVDs, but I wanted to add it to my collection: Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Searchers, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. All the Indiana Jones flicks and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Focus of the movie was more on Ken Miles and less of a "car" movie that you would think....which is not at all a bad thing.

My wife liked it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are interested in the genesis of the Enzo/Carroll rivalry, here's a great DVD to add to your collection.

I bought this years ago in Dublin and brought it back, the DVD is 2008 but I think the Documentary came out way back in 2000.

The Vintage Racing Footage and Audio is amazing and it is very clear that Shelby really didn't like the Italian Racer. LOL!

I'm TOTALLY interested.....unfortunately I cant see it as available anywhere I've looked. /shrug

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
374 Posts
Focus of the movie was more on Ken Miles and less of a "car" movie that you would think....which is not at all a bad thing.

My wife liked it.
I thought that as well, BUT I think he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his part in the success of the GT40 as well as the psuedo victory that he got shafted at. Bale did a great job with him and I actually thought he stole the show. atmo

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Just watched it last night since its at Redbox now. Enjoyed the movie but in all honesty, I enjoyed the Shelby American show on Netflix better. I watched this the week before so it was interesting comparing the history

1 - 17 of 17 Posts