Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went down to a local dealer today and told them that I've got a 20k down payment and pre-qualified financing for the remainder.

I told them that I have a Camaro being built that should be ready for pickup in 3-4 weeks.

I asked them to tell me why I should buy their 2008 GT500....and they really couldn't tell me anything except that "the GT500 is supercharged!"

Can you all give me some feedback as to what makes the GT500 (08 model) worth the price (and a better choice over the SS)? They're willing to sell me the car with 5700 miles on it for 41800 OTD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been meaning to register on this forum and this thread forced my hand.
In answer to your question, if you follow through with Camaro purchase you will:
Have a Cartoon car with a bowtie.
Be driving a car made by the US government.
See every Shelby driver laughing at the above.

·
Registered
806 Posts
So I went down to a local dealer today and told them that I've got a 20k down payment and pre-qualified financing for the remainder.

I told them that I have a Camaro being built that should be ready for pickup in 3-4 weeks.

I asked them to tell me why I should buy their 2008 GT500....and they really couldn't tell me anything except that "the GT500 is supercharged!"

Can you all give me some feedback as to what makes the GT500 (08 model) worth the price (and a better choice over the SS)? They're willing to sell me the car with 5700 miles on it for 41800 OTD.
How much for the Chevy? The only ones I've see in dealer show rooms have been between 51k and 55k before taxes. I think you may get one cheaper. I would take the better car for less money. That would be a 2010 GT500.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

You can buy a new GT500 with what you want on it for $2,000 under MSRP all day long.

Now, to your point; The Camaro is HUGE. It doesn't handle worth a crap (see multiple articles where a Mustang GT with its solid axle outperforms the Camaro).

There's something to be said with 400+ on a NA car. They don't heatsoak, they actually run better, sometimes, when they're warm. That's about it.

The speed shop I use here in the Chicago area just put a blower on a SS and it's a tidy installation with excellent results. Blowing it is the ONLY way to get great performance at a reasonable cost. Otherwise you're jacking with fuel, timing, cams, exhaust...blah blah blah. And it'll cost you a ton more in the end.

A GT500 with a stock blower and $2000 worth of mods will hang with a Z06 all day long at the drag strip. And it'll get 21mpg on the way home.

The Camaro interior is appalling. Good Lord, could they make that thing any friggin' uglier? The materials are crap (normal GM standards) and the overall look is (as stated above) "cartoon-ish".

If you want a characature, go to the county fair and sit in front of the guy for 10 minutes. If you want a car that turns heads and stirs your soul every time you come close to it, buy the GT500.

If you want a car that is a "me, too" (but came to the party 3 years too late, under the worst of possible circumstances), buy the Camaro.

bj

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
This is a blondes vs brunettes discussion.

As most men do, we'll go for the bigger hooters: GT500!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Guys...I said sell me on the GT500 not bash the Camaro. Try doing it with some class and some facts as opposed to opinion. Remember that design features are subjective. I'm not interested in fanboyism, I'm interested in real reasons why it would be better to spend more money on an older car with performance levels that are marginally higher and typically only discernable on paper.

FWIW though, the Camaro SS will cost me 36.5K otd. Far less than the 50k for the 2010 GT500. So there's that to think about. The 2008 will cost me 41.8k otd.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Convert, you came to a GT500 enthusiast web site. What did you expect? We love our Shelbys and that tends to show in our opinions.

As for performance levels that are marginally better, where the hell did you get that garbage?

·
Registered
867 Posts
In before "I'm buying the SS because GT500 owners are pompous pricks".

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That "garbage" is based off of 2008 GT500 specs.

The quarter mile and 0-60 times aren't that far off. That's what counts...not engine crank HP.

Were talking tenths of a second in difference between the stock 2008 gt 500 and the stock SS.

12.8 for a stock SS, though on average its 13 for most.

12.6 for a stock 2008 GT 500. Though on average its closer to 12.8 as well. To add to that the fastest 2010 I've seen or heard of was 12.3. While 5/10's might be considered alot on a timeslip to some...by the seat of the pants its barely discernable. So If the cost is significantly less (10k less), and the performance is close (5/10 sec), than to me its marginal.

Granted that's just one aspect of the total package. The GT500 will of course have a better suspension and FI. Its a higher class of vehicle and priced to match. I could easily buy a far better suspension at $1700, and a blower setup for another $6k, and be above the performance levels for less than the 10k difference in price. But technically speaking the SS shouldn't even be compared to it--but since I'm in the market and can buy either one--I'm trying to weigh whether the added cost is worth the differences in performance. I'm also looking at gas mileage being at 24mph vs 20mpg hwy, the interior design not exactly being to my liking (I actually do like the Camaro interior and exterior given its based off the 69), and other things.

I'm not trying to screw with you guys...I'm just trying to get information from the people in the know on this car. It wouldn't make sense to ask this question in a Chevy forum. I don't care about fan boy stuff or Chevy vs Ford or whatever. I'm just looking for a good American muscle car in the greatest value for the least amount of cash. Late model though...no later than 2008.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A stock 2009 Mullet will out run a stock 2010 Mustang GT by .1 in the 1/4. The GT actually handles better and cost less. A tune & CAI will make it even in the 1/4 mile. If your getting the chevy at that price you sould be looking at the GT instead.

BTW some stock 2010 GT500s runs 11.6s

·
Registered
17 Posts
i say get what you like. why do you want to be convinced to buy a gt500 if you have a camaro on order? get what you prefer. i have always been a chevy guy but dont like the camaro. it looks terrible to me, but the wife wants one. i have had in the past year 3 chevy products that i traded because they had problems. 2008 trailblazer ss 3000 miles with rod and piston noise along with trans issues, 2008 avalanche that wouldnt stop throwing codes, 2009 z06 with 90 miles and stress cracked quarter panels that gm would only repair not replace. now i will not buy another gm product again.
the gt 500 is a decent car. i like it because it has a lot of potential and responds well to mods. parts are fairly reasonable and available. i prefer the 2009 model which is what i just picked up. i have no regrets about dumping the vet for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with m1215... get what you want. As you said, interior/exterior styling is very subjective. I like the new SRT Challenger, too, from that perspective.

The LS-based motors are really solid and the manufacturers of the 6-speeds in either car is the same (although the gearing may be different... I haven't looked that deep into the specs, since I'm not in the market for a new Camaro). However, I agree with BJ... to mod the SS and keep it N/A, you will spend quite a bit of $$ to do it _right_. But it can be done, and still be reliable. Those motors are a proven commodity.

I think .5 in the quarter mile is huge. At ~115mph, you are traveling 168'/second... you can do the rest of the math. :)

But with what you want to spend, and considering all the factors (you mentioned gas mileage), I think the Camaro is a player. I like my GT500 and I researched this car ad nauseum to the point of driving people on this site and others crazy, but I also had specific goals in mind...most of those performance-related and had to do with aftermarket support and reliability of a modded car.

Good luck with the decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide. Both offer lots of positives to consider.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Convert, before trying to buy a new car you need to get a pair of cajones. Your going to be swayed by a bunch a guys that you don't even know? Do your online research, test drive the cars and then look what the near future changes are to see if they are worth waiting for.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Convert, before trying to buy a new car you need to get a pair of cajones. Your going to be swayed by a bunch a guys that you don't even know? Do your online research, test drive the cars and then look what the near future changes are to see if they are worth waiting for.
Yes...because cajones are what separates those who ask for details from owners of the prospective vehicle vs reading magazine specs. Yes...I see your point now. If I DID have cajones, I'd be able to just make decisions based on paid off magazine reviews as opposed to talking with actual owners. Thank you for your insight sir.

To everyone else that had an intelligent comment ; thank you. To elaborate, I'm not asking you to make up my mind for me, I'm asking you to tell me the goods on the GT500 and why its worth the extra cash. Nothing more. It will be taken into consideration along with other research I've done, and I do appreciate any mature insight you guys have.

I think what's happening is that my performance side knows which car is the better performer--but the nostalgic / fiscal side likes the Camaro from a design and price standpoint.

I LOVE the 2010 Camaro...but that's just not in the cards money wise. So I would indeed be settling for the 2008 from a design standpoint relative to the SS or the 10 GT500.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
As a quick reply an 08' Gt500 can be had for 39K new ! There are still some left...I've only had mine for 2 months and I freak out every time I open the garage..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ordered a Camaro before I bought my 2009 Shelby GT500. The Shelby is more of a special car. In 6 months, you will see the Camaro everywhere. They have aready made more Camaros that 2007-09 Shelbys. I remember when I got my 2006 Mustang GT. It was still hot and everyone wanted to look at it. Now you see them everywhere. That is whats going to happen to the Camaro. No regrets on getting the Shelby.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I think what's happening is that my performance side knows which car is the better performer--but the nostalgic / fiscal side likes the Camaro from a design and price standpoint.
I'm in agreement with a previous comment; buy whatever turns you on! I figure the only person I have to please is me (and my wife!).

As for the 2010 Camaro, I think they look great as does the Dodge Challenger and I might have been happy with either one. I still remember when Dodge/Chrysler was turning out junk so I stay away from them, and the Camaros are few and far between.

With all that said, I kinda compare the GT500 to my motorcycles. I bought a new '01 Harley Ultra and enjoyed it, but as far as accessories went, the Honda Goldwing had a lot more available so I have one of those too.

That's kinda where I see the GT500; having lots of aftermarket options both in performance & dress-up. My GT500 is an '09 so I figure Ford had most of the problems worked out whereas the Camaro & Challenger are both new.

As for prices, check in with 1badsho here; he tends to find some bargains on the GT500s.

Good Luck with whichever car you buy & let us know how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It would be easy to find negative feedback on a Ford site but here it is straight from the "horse's" mouth:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30992&highlight=tsb

Partial post of problems from Camaro owner:

TSB - "CHECK LIST :

- BATTERY CABLE(MOSTLY V8's)
- OIL LEAK
- DIGITAL SPEEDO INACCURATE
- PULLY SHAKING
- BROKEN TRANNY
- IGNITION MECHANISM ISSUE WITH KEY GETTING STUCK IN CAR
- RS tail lights installed (all 4 of them).
- Rocker Panel aligned with body and clipped in correctly
- A pillar trim not loose and falling off.
- Bumper rub with body.
- Trunk opens with switch and remote
- Correct speedo/tach gauge ring color
- Ambient lighting on drivers door as bright as passenger door
- Doors gaps /alignment
- Dirt/bubbles in rally stripes
- Halo's work correctly and match in brightness.
- Door panel not scratched from seat belt.
- Door sill trim not loose or coming up.
- Rear spoiler not loose.
- shift knobs wearing out extremely fast could be faulty material
- AC system stops blowing cold air in random durations, most likely blockage in AC drainage
- clunking noise in changing gears
- trunk opens with remote and laser cut key
- USB/aux work
- rear spoiler is installed correctly
- pillars are snapped on right
- breaks don't squeek
- GFX installed correctly
- wheels are tires in good condition
- check for damage in the interior, basic procedure
- check the locking mechanism of both doors"

DOH!!! I'm not trying to bash because I like the Camaro and other muscle cars, I think they are great for competition.
There will be good and bad experiences with all new cars as seen in this forum.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts