Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to local goodyear to get price for 2 new rear tires.

Primarily this was to justify spending equal or slightly more $$ to do what JCThorne has done (335/30/18 Nittos)

Anyway, there were 2 tires for the GT500.

P285/40ZR 18 96W LL $522.09 each

and
P285/40ZR 18 96W L2 $350.71 each

What is the difference in the load limit code?

TD

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll leave it to someone with more insight into GoodYear's LL/L2 load rating system to tell you about those designations (I couldn't find anything on them), but the 96W Service Description (combination of Load Index and Speed Rating) on each of the tires indicates that the load ratings are the same on both tires. I think you'll find that the difference between the two is in the tread compound. The GT500 F1 SuperCar tire is rated at a 220 treadwear rating, while the GT500KR tire is rated at a softer, stickier 180 treadwear rating.

I previously thought that LL stood for "Light Load", so perhaps L2 just stands for "Light Load modified"??

www.tirerack.com shows the cheaper UTQG: 220 AA A tire to be the same LL Load Rating as the more expensive UTQG: 180 AA A tire for the GT500KR.

GT500 OEM Tire

GT500KR OEM Tire

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my take too, though funnt thing is my stock tires are LL.

TD

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

Primarily this was to justify spending equal or slightly more $$ to do what JCThorne has done (335/30/18 Nittos)

and

Tire Rack always have them cheap. They're not popular. Try BFG KDW if you'd like better performance. They make stock sizes plus a matching drag radial that sticks a ton better than Nittos.

bj

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

and

Tire Rack always have them cheap. They're not popular. Try BFG KDW if you'd like better performance. They make stock sizes plus a matching drag radial that sticks a ton better than Nittos.

bj
Wait a second.

Are you saying that the BFG G-force KDW sticks better than the Nitto555R, or that the BFG drag radial sticks better than the Nitto (drag radial)?

In considering the options,

There is the stock replacement - Not a chance of this happening.
there are Michelin Pilot Sports - no clue
there are potentially Pirelli's - no clue
there are several options with Nitto 555R - 335/30/18s on widened 11" rims
OR nitto 555R2 in stock size, or could also try the Invo, not sure if that comes in stock size.
Then there is the BFG KDW in stock size.

I am definatly thinking of doing the widended rims with the 555R nittos

I suppose that there might be variations on the widened rims as to what size BFGs I could put on.

Someone put on a set of 12" MT's but never posted what he did to get them to fit, and only shot a photos from an angle so you can't tell if they protrude from the fenders.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
How are the BFG KDW's in the rain? As good as the Nitto's or more like the M/T Drag radials?

In between. The M/Ts suck in the rain and for good reason, they're an awesome dry street-to-the-strip tire.

Nittos are better than both in the rain. There's a reason, they suck at the strip.

If you want max performance, buy the M/Ts. If you want to drive around on a DR "just because", but the Nittos. If you want a DR that is fair in light rain, good on dry pavement and not as good at the M/T's but WAY better than the Nittos on the drag strip, the BFGs are a great compromise.

I've been on all 3 in three different cars. I bought the BFGs because they were the aforementioned compromise and they looked pretty nifty as they matched the KDWs on the front.

Hope this helps
bj

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Wait a second.

Are you saying that the BFG G-force KDW sticks better than the Nitto555R, or that the BFG drag radial sticks better than the Nitto (drag radial)?

Yes, to both. The Nitto DRs are like KY on a doorknob on the track.
The compound on the KDWs seem to stick better and have less sidewall flex in comparable sizes than the Nitto street tire. I've tried both...as well as Pirelli in a P-Zero and a P-Zero Nero all weather (caution, do NOT use these, they are damn-near dangerous)

bj

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, to both. The Nitto DRs are like KY on a doorknob on the track.
The compound on the KDWs seem to stick better and have less sidewall flex in comparable sizes than the Nitto street tire. I've tried both...as well as Pirelli in a P-Zero and a P-Zero Nero all weather (caution, do NOT use these, they are damn-near dangerous)

bj
Well so much for my idea of copying JCThorne with those big old 335/30/18s...

Noticed the tire spec for BFG KDW are a little off from the stock Goodyear. I think they are shorter overall in diamaeter by 2.2 inches per manufacturer's websites!

ANyone who is running the 285/30ZR/18 BFG KDWs care to comment? Need to re flash the ECU for a smaller tire diameter I would think. Wonder what this does to RPMs at cruising speed.

Maybe ought to change to thread title to "options for replacing stock rear tires"

TD

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Well so much for my idea of copying JCThorne with those big old 335/30/18s...

Noticed the tire spec for BFG KDW are a little off from the stock Goodyear. I think they are shorter overall in diamaeter by 2.2 inches per manufacturer's websites!

ANyone who is running the 285/30ZR/18 BFG KDWs care to comment? Need to re flash the ECU for a smaller tire diameter I would think. Wonder what this does to RPMs at cruising speed.

Maybe ought to change to thread title to "options for replacing stock rear tires"

TD
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....ontTire=545YR8GFTAKDW2&rearTire=84YR8GFTAKDW2

The same size BFGs are the same 27" as the F1 Supercars.

bj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts