Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Porsche 911 vs. GT500

Hello everyone, I've just registered here in order to ask a few questions.

I'm a few days away from having my 99 Porsche 911 totaled due to rain water damage hydrolocking my engine, forcing a replacement and therefore a total. I've been contemplating purchasing a GT500 for some time now. Here are some questions and concerns I've had.

First, has anyone driven both cars? What are your thoughts concerning the differences between them?

This car with be a daily driver for me, is that a resonable goal?

I drove my 911 out of warranty and I must admit that it was a nerve racking affair. New water cooled 911's have had issues with cylinders cracking and I always felt like me engine was a timebomb...That being said, how much peace of mind do you have driving your GT500? I've briefly read over clutch/transmission issues etc. but, with the car covered by warranty for 5 yrs/60 tho, are repairs, updates, TSB's straight forward and successfully implemented?

I'd like to track the car, anybody have experience with this? I wont be doing anything serious, HPDE's, time trailing etc. How does this affect warranty?

This clutch issue...if repaired with TSB, is it something that I can forget about once updated or is it going to be a $3500 repair 5-6 years down the road??

Lastly, what issues or details do I need to pay attention to when I go look at cars? Should I stick to the newest car I can afford?

Thanks, I'll be test driving a few in the near future.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: Porsche 911 vs. GT500

Hello everyone, I've just registered here in order to ask a few questions.

I'm a few days away from having my 99 Porsche 911 totaled due to rain water damage hydrolocking my engine, forcing a replacement and therefore a total. I've been contemplating purchasing a GT500 for some time now. Here are some questions and concerns I've had.

First, has anyone driven both cars? What are your thoughts concerning the differences between them?

This car with be a daily driver for me, is that a resonable goal?

I drove my 911 out of warranty and I must admit that it was a nerve racking affair. New water cooled 911's have had issues with cylinders cracking and I always felt like me engine was a timebomb...That being said, how much peace of mind do you have driving your GT500? I've briefly read over clutch/transmission issues etc. but, with the car covered by warranty for 5 yrs/60 tho, are repairs, updates, TSB's straight forward and successfully implemented?

I'd like to track the car, anybody have experience with this? I wont be doing anything serious, HPDE's, time trailing etc. How does this affect warranty?

This clutch issue...if repaired with TSB, is it something that I can forget about once updated or is it going to be a $3500 repair 5-6 years down the road??

Lastly, what issues or details do I need to pay attention to when I go look at cars? Should I stick to the newest car I can afford?

Thanks, I'll be test driving a few in the near future.
Ryan,
I sent you an email with a bit of info, our Shelby is my daily driver and I love it. No issues there with the possible exception of worrying about parking. But then, my guys protect her in the parking lot like she was theirs. Some dealers won’t let you test drive, or didn’t use to, that may have changed. You should be able to pick up an '09 for a touch over 40 if you look around. You will have time in Charleston when you graduate, so plan on some hot days. (Get a sunshade) There is a guy on here, and I can’t remember his name, that can get some good deals try to search him out. Hope this helps, as far as the TSB ours was built after that magic date so I’m good there. We also got the extended warranty and the tire/wheel warranty as I have no plans on changing the rims.... TIRES on the other hand will be gone as soon as I need them. KDW's for us. Issues that you can look for in a used one would be who owned it, how did they care for it? Race it? Mods that may have been removed? Things like that. Just ask around on here, everyone is VERY helpful
Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't buy a 09 because the clutch problem is a headache you can avoid in the fires place by buying the 2010. It has been redesigned and the clutch has been changed so there should be no worries there. I don't daily drive mine because gas is stupid high.
The new ones come with 540 H.P. from Ford for free if you can call it that. you can get the 373 gears stock. so if I was you go new and make the car you're own.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I drove (briefly) an 06 997TT when I was shopping for my last car, while I didn't have a ton of time behind the wheel I can tell you they are much different. The GT500 feels more like a "saloon" car than a sports car, because of the weight. The strength is the drivetraian IMO, you are utilizing a proven motor with ultra low problem rates. Getting a late 09 car will avoid any clutch issues, provide you with the lowest production numbers and a great price if you can find one that you like.

I have not tracked my GT500 yet, but did track my last Supercahrged GT (02) and the advantage is cheap parts. Mustang prices for rotors and parts makes them a good platform for OT. The downside is weight and weight distribution, so they are hard on tires and brakes.

I sometimes wish I would have considered a newer M3, because of the handling advantage. But at the end of the day, I have great faith in the simplicity and reliability of the Ford GT500 package. Besides- it looks a hell of a lot cooler than an M3.

I will probably upgrade the suspension, since the rear wallows a bit, and put some lighter rims and better tires on it. At the end of the day, it's never about lap times or ETs for me- it's about enjoying the car. The sound of the V8 and the supercharger, the bad manners all make it really raw fun car to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Before I stumbled across what would become my GT500 I was shopping for a Porsche Cayman S. If I were an avid track driver, I would still have purchased the Cayman but as my car will spend 95% of it's life on public streets I think I am happier with the GT500.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you cant compare a 911 to a gt500,you will not be able to take corners or high speed through canyons like the 911,its a desent handeling car for a 4000 lb vehicle.the gt500 is a blast to drive and i love mine but would not have it a daily driver imo,get the gt500 for a weeke nd and part time car and get yourself another economical vehicle for daily drives.right now is a great time to get a 09 at a discount price ,2010 i doubt will be discounted like the 09s.best of luck in your decision,get the gt500 add the cold airintake and tune and you will be up to 540 plus hp.best of luck

·
Registered
693 Posts
Remember that one is a sports car and the other a muscle car. :cool:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Buy an 09 with a build date later than 8-20-08 and you will have no tsb to worry about, plus you can find great deals on these now that the 2010 is out. The late 09 is probably the best 500 built!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have driven several generations of 911 and Mustang. The Porsche is a more agile car that is exceptionaly well built. It is a solid and fast car. The GT500 is more likely to develop rattles than the 911 will but nothing important is likely to fail unless you break it.

For the most part you will not notice the rattles because you will be too busy having fun and answering questions. I drove mine to California and back getting between 18.8 and 23 MPG. This included driving some of the mountain roads around Ojai, Santa Paula and parts of the PCH. There were three of us for most of the mountain driving. My wife complained about seatbelt burns in the back seat but not the drive.

I daily drive my GT500 swapping with my Miata. I also autocross both of these cars. I figure I average out as as a v6 Honda. :) I don't think that you would regrat getting the GT500.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are going to keep your car stock. go with the Porsche. If you are going to mod the car in anyway, go with the gt500. Some porsche parts are also copied to gt500 parts. if i was in your situation I would go with the GT500. It looks better especially the front grill. It has also a better engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
my wife has a 2008 Cayman S which i drive from time to time when i dont need my truck for work. it is an excellent car, but for the money, there are a few things that have made me decide to get a GT500:
1. size-its a small car. im 6'2" and i like to feel comfortable in a vehicle.
2. options-Porsche charges an arm and a leg for simple options that really should be standard. this doesnt impress me.
3. the gt500 just plain looks wicked! i fell in love when i saw it in the show room. its a real car.
4. im not convinced, after putting the porsche to the test on twisty BC roads, that it is really worth all the hype and extra money. sure it corners like its on rails and feels extremely precise, but there is no low end grunt. the power is all high end, which isnt bad, but i want grunt.
5. the gt500 is far more customizable. my wife loves her car the way it is, which is great, but i want to play with mine and have fun.

in short, i was looking seriously at getting my own Porsche until i saw the GT500, then all hell broke loose! i cant wait to get it.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have an 08 built in 5/08 which i just bought brand new. What TSB is there regarding the clutch on this vehicle?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I sold my 02 Carrera Cab a couple of months back and took delivery of my 2010 GT 500.
I guess I'm old school, (age 62). I like the noise and front engine torque. The Porsche was fast , smooth and Quiet. The GT is a better fit for me and I love the car. Ford did an outstanding job on this one. Just my $.02 worth.
MJD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts