Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Ford dealer in Florida is telling me that the glass roof option for the GT is being added as a GT500 option later this year, for the 2010 model. He claims it's already in their ordering system. It's a nice option to consider instead of a vert if true. Anyone else heard about this?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have been curious as to just how much heat that glass roof traps in the interior of the car.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm guessing it would be comparable to a green house. It might get a little warm in there on a hot sunny day. It's bad enough with a solid roof, let alone allowing the sun to enter from all angles. Though, it would be neat to be able to see outside from virtually all angles.

Arbour88

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I'm guessing it would be comparable to a green house. It might get a little warm in there on a hot sunny day. It's bad enough with a solid roof, let alone allowing the sun to enter from all angles. Though, it would be neat to be able to see outside from virtually all angles.

Arbour88
My car only has 6 fwd gears and 1 reverse. Since I haven't located my "Vertical" gears I don't really need to look out in that direction! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do think those glass roofs have a shade inside to block the sun.

I have a sun roof on my Expedition and the only time I use it is when returning to a hot car I open it to let the heat out, then close the roof and close the shade.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
They do have a shade. I test drove a GT with a glass roof and was really surprised at how much I liked it and how well the shade cut the Florida sunshine.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Honestly, the glass roof is REALLY nice. I was very surprised by how much I liked it. Also, it doesn't leak. :)

I think I'd prefer the glass roof.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
Yeah, but T-tops have always been cool. I almost bought a Camaro back in the day, but smartened up and got a Cobra vert.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
T-tops and targa tops just don't fare well in climates like those we get in Texas.

A few 110* summers and the 30* winters are just too much for the seals.
Inevitably, they leak. Unless they are routinely replaced every ~5 years.

The glass roof is a nice idea. Expensive, but nice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What about an aftermarket glass roof option? Think it would devaule the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. They've worked out the issues with the aftermarket roof on the GT, and now it's a factory option, covered by the new car warranty. I would not go back to a CDC dealer and let someone chop out the roof on an aftermarket basis.

GT owners and Ford's marketing material says the glass roof adds very little weight, is strong enough for roll-over protection, and some people say it's more rigid than the sheet metal piece they cut out to make the hole. Also there's a pull-over shade and special UV glass, so no one is complaining about heat.

Lot's of people say it gives the car a light open feeling, without losing the rigidity that happens with a convertible. (I had a GT vert, and it does have cowl shake.)

That's why I'm wondering if someone with connections into Ford can confirm what the sales guy told me in Florida - that the glass roof is going to be a late availability option on the GT500.

Otherwise, I might wait for the 2011 GT with the 5.0L 400HP engine, and get the glass roof on that car. However, a GT500 would be better for lots of other (very meaningful) reasons, like 540HP, the 6-speed trans., etc., etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Too bad Ford wont do the glass roofs as an after purchase option :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts