Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I get my new tires.

Since I have some rubber left, I'd like to do my first ever intentional burn-out before I head to the tire shop to drop off the car on my way to work.

Any tips for a newbie rubber-burner?

Obviously I've burnt some off already or I wouldn't need new tires at 14k miles, but tax refund + wear bars = time for new rubber.

BTW- I am getting BFG stock sized. Anything I need to know about mounting and balancing?

TD

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Tomorrow I get my new tires.

Since I have some rubber left, I'd like to do my first ever intentional burn-out before I head to the tire shop to drop off the car on my way to work.

Any tips for a newbie rubber-burner?

Obviously I've burnt some off already or I wouldn't need new tires at 14k miles, but tax refund + wear bars = time for new rubber.

BTW- I am getting BFG stock sized. Anything I need to know about mounting and balancing?

TD
Nope. Enjoy them. They're 1000% better than stock.

Oh....make sure they DO NOT break your TMPS bands/sensors when changing them. They're damned expensive. Been there. Done that. Got the bill.

bj

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Enjoy them. They're 1000% better than stock.

Oh....make sure they DO NOT break your TMPS bands/sensors when changing them. They're damned expensive. Been there. Done that. Got the bill.

bj
Well never got to do the burnout....noplace convenient.

Tires look great on this car.

Tire shop said that my rear wheel TPMS sensors were loose and were going to fall off if I didn't replace them. He went on to say they weren't held on my a worm style hose clamp, but were crimped on. I opted NOT to do anything for $26 extra per wheel. I called my dealer about this an they've not heard of this problem. The tire shop said they were all aware of the sensor and didn't/wouldn't damage them.

Also, at checkout, the dealer told me that the Michelin Pilot Sport tires were "even better" than the BFGs. I've not heard of anyone using Michelin tires on their GT500. Anybody using Michelins care to comment?

TD

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
I heard my first complaint on BFGs ever the other day that theywere noisy. I had never heard anything negative about them before, so what are your thoughts TD since you just put them on. I have gotten recommendations from a local wheel shop for the Toyo Proxes 4s saying they are even better than the BFGs. They don't sell the tires either, so it is unbiased, and he said he has tried them all...supposedly. I think it is car specific though, so some people may like them better on their civic, but to us that doesn't really apply. I may try the Toyos because they are cheaper, and I may have a line on them already attached to some wheels, so if I do, I'll chime in. I think most don't try the Michelins because they are usually way more expensive. For us, I think they work out about the same as the BFGs, so they may be worth a shot. I know I hate my Goodyears, and I wasn't impressed with the Nitto 555s on my '98, but people seem to like them now. I guess it's possible they changed the compound.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, so far, not much mileage, but I don't find them noisy at all. I should let you know I've had the whole car sound-treated, though I'll bet that since I didn't do it myself, there are better sound treatments available than what they did to mine. Anyway, so far so good. Has a different feel than the goodyears that I so far haven't gotten used to. The Ken block racing vid sold me..

I hear they use the Toyo Proxes on the GR40TT from Griggs Racing.

I've heard mixed response on the Nitto 555. I think its hard once you get to a car with as much power and torque that we've got, to "get it all" in a tire : traction, wet performance, noise, treadwear, and handling.

I wish you could get a 200 mile test drive without spending the big bucks on a set of tires everytime.

I'd really like to hear what folks think about the Toyo Proxes AND the Michelin tires on their GT500.

TD

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and one more thing - anyone had problems with their TPMS coming off the rear wheels?

TD

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well..

Today went down the street to pick up the babysitter - 25mph driving nicely - get in the drive and get a TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR ERROR or something close to that..

I've been hearing some rattling, I wonder if they fell off? I have no idea what they look like, but looks like the warnings came true?

TD

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Tire shop said that my rear wheel TPMS sensors were loose and were going to fall off if I didn't replace them. He went on to say they weren't held on my a worm style hose clamp, but were crimped on. I opted NOT to do anything for $26 extra per wheel. I called my dealer about this an they've not heard of this problem. The tire shop said they were all aware of the sensor and didn't/wouldn't damage them.

Also, at checkout, the dealer told me that the Michelin Pilot Sport tires were "even better" than the BFGs. I've not heard of anyone using Michelin tires on their GT500. Anybody using Michelins care to comment?

TD
TD,
My best guess would be that the TPMS sensors should be covered by warranty if the tire shop didn't damage them.

As for the Michelin Pilot Sport tires, Michelin Pilot MXM4s were OEM on my '02 and then '05 T-Bird. I have really liked those tires, and intend to replace them with the same or similar Michelins.

I never have tested the traction as to drag racing, but am really impressed with the cornering ability of the car with them.

Too early to tell what I'll want to replace the GT500 tires. :pimp:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just picked up some T1Rs. Right away I noticed that I need to break them in a bit before taking turns the way I used to. Talk about white knuckles.

Will update when they're nice and worn.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
We never did get an answer on the best way to do the burnout. Sorry you did'nt get a chance to do the big one before the tire change. Inquiring minds still want to know. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Answering my own question sort of here.. as to the burn-out.

Probably not much to it.

I think its probably better when you've eliminated the wheel-hop because from what I understand to continue to apply throttle in a wheel-hop situation is bad because it will damage your vehicle. I am not entirely sure what damage the wheel-hop is/will cause but I'd rather not find out.

Since having the new tires on, I got J&M LCA and no more wheel hop. :)
Now I've done a few burnouts, and its basically just lay on the throttle when you let out the clutch and keep pouring on the throttle. I'm not a big fan of the 3000 rpm clutch dump trick that some advocate, but that'd probably have similar results, with maybe more spectacular but potentially disastrous outcome.

Update on the TMPS - Ford said shop screwed up one wheel - cost me like $250 ish to get repaired. Now I get to fight the tire shop for the screw-up. Doubt I'll win.

Why is there nothing in life that is easy and simple

TD

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Thanks. I kinda perfected the smokey burnout over the holiday weekend after a few yellow pops...no wheel hops problems either with the lowered suspension.

Sorry to hear of the shop killing your sensor. I hope I'm luckier when my time comes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got LCA relocation brackets on my GT vert. They eliminated any wheel hop I had. Not sure if they will fit the GT500 too.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Answering my own question sort of here.. as to the burn-out.

Probably not much to it.

I think its probably better when you've eliminated the wheel-hop because from what I understand to continue to apply throttle in a wheel-hop situation is bad because it will damage your vehicle. I am not entirely sure what damage the wheel-hop is/will cause but I'd rather not find out.

Since having the new tires on, I got J&M LCA and no more wheel hop. :)
Now I've done a few burnouts, and its basically just lay on the throttle when you let out the clutch and keep pouring on the throttle. I'm not a big fan of the 3000 rpm clutch dump trick that some advocate, but that'd probably have similar results, with maybe more spectacular but potentially disastrous outcome.

Update on the TMPS - Ford said shop screwed up one wheel - cost me like $250 ish to get repaired. Now I get to fight the tire shop for the screw-up. Doubt I'll win.

Why is there nothing in life that is easy and simple

TD
I hear a lot of people talk about a heel/toe method of controlling the brake and throttle during a burnout. Personally, I never cared to get the hang of it because it's an unnatural thing for me to do. That said, I get to the line...back into the water box...stick it in 2nd...rev it up....dump the clutch...stand on the brakes and modulate the throttle. When I'm ready to burn off the water and get to the line I release the brakes and let it go. Yes, this eats the crap out of your brakes. A Line Lock is a much better idea but a sure fire way to have your local dealer say "uh, NO" to your warranty claims (your mileage my vary). Do it dry the same way....don't do it in 2nd...do it in 1st. You'll eat rear brake pads but it's better than spinning wildly and suddenly hooking up and finding yourself jetting toward something really big and harder than your car.

Oh....and as far as the Michelins. Yes, good tires. One problem...all lower profile than what you have. Rough ride, wheel damage, no shot at "drag strip" traction 'cause you can't drop the pressure. But, they're good tires for turning corners!

b j

1 - 14 of 14 Posts