Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Restored to original, or original but working

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a remarkably original 67’ Shelby GT500. The car has had one documented paint job in its lifetime, done about 35 years ago. Still shows very well.
It has incredibly low miles (under 40k documented miles). It has had very little work done. Still has factory 428.
The underside is dirty, oil, dirt, etc. no rust anywhere just some very minor surface rust underneath.
Do you guys think my car is worth more fully restored, or in its present condition.
Curious what your thoughts are. I also have a 68’ and a 69’ Shelby GT500 which have been properly nut and bolt restored. I fancy my 67’ the most given it’s untouched nature.
All the best,
Doug

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,180 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a remarkably original 67’ Shelby GT500. The car has had one documented paint job in its lifetime, done about 35 years ago. Still shows very well.
It has incredibly low miles (under 40k documented miles). It has had very little work done. Still has factory 428.
The underside is dirty, oil, dirt, etc. no rust anywhere just some very minor surface rust underneath.
Do you guys think my car is worth more fully restored, or in its present condition.
Curious what your thoughts are. I also have a 68’ and a 69’ Shelby GT500 which have been properly nut and bolt restored. I fancy my 67’ the most given it’s untouched nature.
All the best,
Doug
Welcome to the forum Doug! Sounds like some nice cars! Since it has already been repainted, I would vote on a full restoration. @69bossnine might have more insight.

Our new member area is here:

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts
I too have a '67 GT500, #875. Nightmist over Black, 4-speed, inboards and brake ducts.

A pile of parts in boxes car is worth $100K. A nice driver can range from $140-170 (ish). A concours winning show car can easily top $250K.

A concours restoration starts at $150K unless you are doing it yourself, and you need to be one heck of an expert and use zero reproduction parts to win any recognition at a sanctioned event with a "perfect" car. 1967 is a tough year to get perfect. There were a ton of running production changes and believe me, the judges know when a car completed on a certain date would have come with certain features. You won't be able to fool them and as an example have comfortweave on an early or late production car.

A car most of would consider a proper nut and bolt restoration will not get the big $ unless it is a SAAC winner. That doesn't mean it isn't a damn sweet car. It just means it takes an incredible car to bring big money on a car that costs big money to restore.

Original color makes a difference too.

Sounds like you have a nice one. From a strictly dollar sense, it probably wiser to not restore it to a high level.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,033 Posts
Welcome to the site.
It's had a repaint, stopping here may be the smart $$$$ move..

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,240 Posts
Fully restored, but at the same time, drive it and enjoy it. Take good care of it, but drive it.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Here's my take... Since you already have two nut/bolt concours-restored Shelbys, I'd leave this one be, and enjoy it. I'd be prone to clean things up and detail a bit underneath and under-hood, but that's stuff you can do yourself, basically "free", time permitting.

I have a large collection, very diverse, mostly Ford and GM products. Many of them are true low-mile survivors, with original paint, 100% un-restored, and in exceptional condition such that it'd be foolish to restore. But I commonly see people with rather "tatty and rough" originals that insist on not touching them, calling them "survivors", but survivors of what?? Abuse?? Those cars I recommend restoration of.

I've always felt, and always recommended, that if you're going to collect, a big collection or a very small collection, you first need to have at least ONE driver... ONE car you can enjoy, not stress about the weather ruining your day. Not stress about the clean-up. Just enjoy. Once you have that one car in the garage, then you're allowed to stack up as many trailer queens as your heart desires. LOL ;)

I have a 1967 Corvette and a 1967 GTO H.O. 4-speed that are my go-to, who gives a shit if I get rained on, for-fun drivers.

My 1968 GT500KR was my mother's car in the 1970's, she sold it as a virgin/unrestored car in 1984 (when my parents divorced), my dad bought it back in 1991, but by that time it had been restored (decently) and the original Highland Green had been switched to red... I HATED that damn red... BUT.... Since I knew that someday I'd be tearing the entire car apart again to properly switch it back to Highland Green, I drove it quite a bit, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I even drove it from FL to AL for an MCA Anniversary show, through the rain, air-conditioning blowing at 80 mph bombing down the interstate. Fun trip. Today, it's probably the most perfectly/exceptionally restored KR on planet earth. And consequently, I'm not enjoying it in those ways anymore, it only goes out for necessary exercise on a sunny day.

So... I'd leave it be, make it look more sanitary underneath but not really restore, and enjoy and drive and allow your other Shelbys to do the show work.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
866 Posts
Maintain it and drive it.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
464 Posts
What others are saying. I’d clean up the grime and surface rust and have an experienced detailer do some light paint correction and apply a nice sealant. Call it a day and drive it.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
What others are saying. I’d clean up the grime and surface rust and have a nm experienced detailer do some light paint correction and apply a nice sealant. Call it a day and drive it.
I'd skip the sealant part, I've seen really funky things happen with those types of products on old-tech paint.. Some old paints don't like to be "sealed". Just toss some old school Meguiar's or Zymol on it and call it a day.

·
Registered
2011 Magnetic gray GT500
62 Posts
I think a lot depends on what the buyer is after and willing to pay, This website has a lot of very qualified national Mustang judges and experts, especially if you are looking for a concours quality restoration.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I just noticed "But and bolt restoration" in the poll choices.... I would avoid that at all costs LOL...

• Haha
Reactions: 2112 and Goose17
1 - 13 of 13 Posts